PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Granite

BrknFngrs
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
For a typical granite countertop can anyone recommend a maintenance regiment or comment on whether it's actually required.

I'm starting to notice that when I wipe down my countertops (wet rag) it leaves a bit of a haze and I'm also noticing some mild pitting in the higher use areas.

ipeefreely
08-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
For a typical granite countertop can anyone recommend a maintenance regiment or comment on whether it's actually required.

I'm starting to notice that when I wipe down my countertops (wet rag) it leaves a bit of a haze and I'm also noticing some mild pitting in the higher use areas.

My wife uses "Granite Gold - Daily cleaner" once a week or as needed with a soft cloth. Once a year she uses the "Granite Gold - Sealer". They are a little expensive (got them from Bed Bath & Beyond) but our granite still looks brand new! :thumbsup:

In her old condo she didn't use the same products and her granite counter top got really dull and had a haze using Mr. Clean spray (at the time she never looked into what she should have been using to clean it).

I'm not sure if you can rejuvenate the granite but it wouldn't hurt to look around at a product that might be able to.

michaelponting
08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Cleaning and maintaining granite counter tops (http://remodelproducts.com/vanity-countertops/) is must. You get spray and wipe granite cleaners available that are not much costly. To remove oil stains a poultice of baking soda and water is a good solution.

Choice
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Try a razor blade to scratch off the water stains and some of the haze. I've got black color granite, so every now and then that's what I do.