PDA

View Full Version : Europe Road trip

Kobe
08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
So I'm going to be doing a roadtrip from Sept 10th - Sept 30th (Give or take a few days)

I will be starting in Zagreb.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3113/maplocations.jpg

Where should I spend the majority of my time? I'm going to be going with 1 maybe two friends and we are both around 25-26 and would like to party a bit as well..

I have been to Prague, Wien, Budapest, Brataslavia and will be in Slovenia before this road trip starts so they are not on the picture.

We will be ending in Munich for Octoberfest.

I'm also thinking about spending some time in Switzerland, is it worth going to stop, or should we spend the majority of our time in greece / Italy?

We were planning on doing Turkey as well, but they will have to pay for a visa and it is a little out of the way for us.

We will be driving and not taking trains/buses so we are not really held back to any restrictions..

Any another tips for me?

Where would you recommend we stop for a few nights?

EDIT: PISA, ITALY WILL BE ADDED AS WELL

davidI
08-26-2012, 11:01 PM
So you have 20 days and you're trying to go to around 20 different places, with 92 hours of driving time?

Basically, assuming 12 hours of driving each day, you're going to spend almost 8 days driving. Plus the time on a ferry to get to Greek Islands?

I don't see how you're going to have any time to actually see or enjoy any sights or be able to party....not to mention the amount of money you'll be spending on fuel. To do the trip you've planned I'd personally want ~3-6 months!

For comparison, I'm renting a car from Sept. 20th to 27th and am going to Interlaken, Lucerne, and Zurich - passing through Liechtenstein on the way back to Munich for Oktoberfest from the 27th to 30th and I feel crunched for time...

If you have to start in Zagreb, I'd suggest hitting the Croatian coast, over to Florence, up to Cinque Terre, over to Monaco / Nice, through Switzerland (Interlaken area) then on to Munich. For me, that would even be too much driving, especially when you factor in the hassles and cost of parking and getting around a lot of the cities.

Do you have accommodation booked for Munich? I had real difficulty finding a place from the 27th - 30th. My buddy and I are spending 80 euros each per night for a 12 bed dorm.

davidI
08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Another option if you still want to hit the Balkans would be to head South to Dubrovnik or Montenegro, then loop up via Bosnia and cut through Slovenia to Salzburg (nice city) then on to Munich.

That way you could actually stop off along the coast and do some partying, though I'm not sure what the weather is like that late in September - it may not be a good time for that coast.

nasri65
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
It blows me away when people tell me they do road trips these days without GPS! I so do not miss the days of getting so lost and stressed out

davidI
08-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by nasri65
It blows me away when people tell me they do road trips these days without GPS! I so do not miss the days of getting so lost and stressed out

Where'd he say anything about GPS?

Kobe
08-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks davidI

We won't be hitting up all off those suggestions, and I hope to get by croatia pretty quickly since I've already done it, and will already be there @ the time.

I'm hoping to be able to cut down on a few of those places.

davidI
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
No worries. If you're set on covering a lot of the route then here are my suggestions:

I haven't been to the Balkans so I can't make many suggestions there but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

From Athens I'd suggest you get to Ios - party Island. This will be your time to let loose since you won't have a car / hangover to worry about. Not sure where you can park for the ferries though. I've never heard of Thira so perhaps you have a reason for wanting to go there, but Ios is good times and can be done on a budget.

I would skip Bologna, Verona and all that - never heard anything appealing about any of those places. Venice is great but it's putting you a ways out from your planned route. Instead, from Florence, I would head West to Cinque Terre. They were hit by floods last year but it is a beautiful area and I imagine it will have gotten quite nice again. You should do some research on that.

I've never heard anythign special about Genoa, Torino or Milan so I'd skip that as well.

If you're set on Venice, I'd try to head from there North to Munich via Austria or over to Switzerland and skip Western Italy. I've taken the train from Munich to Venice (after Oktoberfest last year) and it's a very beautiful area. I imagine the highways would be the same. I believe for both Austria and Switzerland you need to buy tags for your car - the Swiss one you need to buy an annual one and I beleive in Austria you can just get a 10 day pass so Austria may be preferable for that too.

davidI
08-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I quite liked Salzburg as well, so you could always head a bit further East through Austria and cut through there. Accommodation may be tough to find over Oktoberfest though as a lot of people commute in for the day.

hrdkore
08-27-2012, 08:29 AM
a gps would definitely be advised. I would skip Naples, unless you're planning on wanting to see the coast. Naples still has a high crime rate. Bologna has I believe ferrari or lambo museum, I was there a few years back. I'd probably spend the most time in switzerland or germany.

Graham_A_M
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Id avoid Pisa & Naples. There is seriously fuck all to do in both towns. When I visited Naples, I was amazed at how poor of a town it is. Interesting to see how carefully everybody there held on to their jobs, since that town has no economy whatsoever, short of JUST tourism.
Yes it is very poor, and does have a high crime rate. There is nothing to see there, short of visiting Pompeii & Mount Vesuvius. The coast is nice though.
There is very little to do in Pisa. My bro visited there, and you can see and do (more then) everything in a half day.
Instead of visiting those places, I'd just tack a few extra days in Florence or Rome. More specifically Florence though, I'd give my left nut to go back there right now. There is SO much to see & do there, and its a lot more laid back then Rome.

As what David said, visit Cinque Terre if you can. Otherwise check out Orvieto as well. Its between Rome & Florence. Its an amazing town. I had some incredible meals there.

adamc
08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
The balkans absolutely rule

- Zagreb is boring, get to the coast immediately

- Spend time Island hopping, there are regular ferrys that head south and hit the major islands

- Split, Hvar, Korcula, Pag are all great

- Hvar has an awesome party scene and is full of ritzy people and yachts, some great outdoor super clubs

Stop in Montenegro, I really liked Budva, stay in the old town.

adamc
08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Didn't see that you've already been to Croatia, never mind my last post then! :)

Kobe
08-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks!

So much great info!
We will be meeting in Budapest, I’ve already seen it but I’d love to go visit it again since it was something unreal.
First I've talked with a Poker buddy and he is currently in Brac, Croatia and will Island hop a bit since he has a boat. So I’m assuming 2-3 nights stayed there. We will be leaving Zagreb on Sept 10th We are staying there for a few days because we also have another poker buddy out there and we want to go visit and drink with him for a couple nights. (I’ve already met him but my other buddy hasn’t)
1. Fuel will not be bad @ 6,000KM (give or take will cost $600 in fuel so $200 each) – A hell not cheaper then flights + 50-100euro for the ferry.
2. I’ve put the Cinque Terre in the list to spend more time there and avoid some of the other places.
3. No we do not have any accommodations booked for Munich yet, but I know the train system there is amazing and you can always book future away. But this is something we are def going to look into. BTW if you want to meet up for Octoberfest David I’m going to PM you my Euro number and you can send me a text.
4. I think we are all more interested in checking out Italy than the Balkans, but I have noted Salzburg and we can possibily stop there before we go to Zagreb.
5. Athens is a must and the car will most likely be left there. We will check out Ios, my only concern is since it isn’t as touristy in September will is still be good?
6. I’ve never heard anything about Bologna and Verona so we will most likely avoid them depending on if I can rebook my flights and how we are on time.
7. Venice is only 2hr 44min (In Traffic) from Florence right now, and 2hr 32min (In Traffic) from Milan, and it seems if we want to go up passed Switzerland we will have to drive by Milan anyways.
I know Austria, Czech, and Slovenia you need road passes which is around 10-15euro each for a 10day pass, but I’m not sure about Switzerland, I’m going to look into that.
The thing with places like Pisa is that it is so close that you can do a half day road trip (1hr away from Florence) and just head back at night

Thanks Graham I will put Orvieto on the map, I think even if the trips to visit places like Venice are only for half a day it can be worth it.

Hey Adam, We wanted suggestions for Montenegro, so we will def be checking out Budva now..
I will try to make a new Google maps location map in a few hours, Keep the comments coming please and thanks!

davidI
08-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

1. Fuel will not be bad @ 6,000KM (give or take will cost $600 in fuel so $200 each) – A hell not cheaper then flights + 50-100euro for the ferry.
3. No we do not have any accommodations booked for Munich yet, but I know the train system there is amazing and you can always book future away. But this is something we are def going to look into. BTW if you want to meet up for Octoberfest David I’m going to PM you my Euro number and you can send me a text.

Sounds like you just about have it all worked out!

I'd be surprised if your fuel only costs $600. My trip is only 1000 kms and Google estimated 200 euros in fuel cost. Maybe fuel is cheaper in the Balkans and Italy...maybe worth double checking before you promise your buddies it will only be about $200!

The first time I went to Oktoberfest in 2006 I was on my own and I couldn't find anywhere to stay. I slept in a park and a train station. The next day I took a train all the way to Salzburg and still couldn't find anywhere to stay! I ended up paying 150 euros a night (back when it was $1.57 / euro) just so I could have a shower!! I'd definitely get on the accommodation planning sooner rather than later! Consider how wasted you and your buddies will be if you're considering long train rides too!!

If you think you'll be in Munich between Sept. 27-30th that would be great to meet up. My buddy just messaged me from Iraq that he may get forced to stay at work. We'll see. It's easy enough to meet people at Oktoberfest, but it would still be great to drink with some Alberta boys!

davidI
08-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Oh, and I think Ios will still be good in September, but maybe check some forums and such. I think I was there in March/April (can't recall for sure) and it was a blast.

Stay at Francisco's. I think that's what it's called. He also owns the Blue Note bar.

Kobe
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by davidI

Sounds like you just about have it all worked out!

I'd be surprised if your fuel only costs $600. My trip is only 1000 kms and Google estimated 200 euros in fuel cost. Maybe fuel is cheaper in the Balkans and Italy...maybe worth double checking before you promise your buddies it will only be about $200!

The first time I went to Oktoberfest in 2006 I was on my own and I couldn't find anywhere to stay. I slept in a park and a train station. The next day I took a train all the way to Salzburg and still couldn't find anywhere to stay! I ended up paying 150 euros a night (back when it was $1.57 / euro) just so I could have a shower!! I'd definitely get on the accommodation planning sooner rather than later! Consider how wasted you and your buddies will be if you're considering long train rides too!!

If you think you'll be in Munich between Sept. 27-30th that would be great to meet up. My buddy just messaged me from Iraq that he may get forced to stay at work. We'll see. It's easy enough to meet people at Oktoberfest, but it would still be great to drink with some Alberta boys!

Car is on Diesel here but it burns about 5-6L/100

Peaguot 308

I know my buddy and I will not care about the extra money, and the female friend has been here for a few months already so I don't think she will be 2 strapped for cash as well, we were planning on doing the trip ourselves @ first anyways so I'm sure gas will not be an issue..

Sounds good, I'm going 2 look at some prices right now, we just dont have an exact date that we will be there yet which makes it a little tougher.

Im PM'ing you my Polish number right now..

Kobe
08-28-2012, 04:26 PM
My friend missed her flight to Budapest tonight so she will be flying into Poland tomorrow and we will be heading to Wien a little earlier than expected.

Here is a semi-updated version of the map.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4322/roadtrip1t.jpg

I will be checking the internet every couple days and hope for some more suggestions!

davidI
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Looks like an epic roadie!! That's sweet how economic on fuel your Peaguot is. I've rented an Audi A3....but I'm not sure if they'll give me the diesel or petrol version. Either should be ok I guess. Last year we got a Mercedes-Benz diesel station wagon up to 220+km/h on the Autobahn with four big guys and luggage in it. :rofl:

If you're going to Monaco it's worth getting to Nice as well.

I haven't heard many great things about Zurich...I'm just headed there to meet with a friend. I'd consider heading to Interlaken area if I was you and then cutting through Liechtenstein on the way to Munich.

Any luck on accommodation?

thrasher22
08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
When I went to Oktoberfest a couple years ago I stayed with friends in Nuremburg and took the train in. Its an hour train ride, but a really nice place and gives you more accommodation options.
Also look into making a reservation in the beer tents. They book up a while ahead and if you don't have a reservation, get in there before noon. The atmosphere in the tents was my favorite part.

Kobe
09-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Looks like an epic roadie!! That's sweet how economic on fuel your Peaguot is. I've rented an Audi A3....but I'm not sure if they'll give me the diesel or petrol version. Either should be ok I guess. Last year we got a Mercedes-Benz diesel station wagon up to 220+km/h on the Autobahn with four big guys and luggage in it. :rofl:

If you're going to Monaco it's worth getting to Nice as well.

I haven't heard many great things about Zurich...I'm just headed there to meet with a friend. I'd consider heading to Interlaken area if I was you and then cutting through Liechtenstein on the way to Munich.

Any luck on accommodation?

No luck on accommodation for Munich right now, but we are going to keep trying..

My buddy showed me

http://campinmygarden.com/

hopefully it catchs on and there is place in Munich, if not we will sleep in the car or figure something out.

davidI
09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
You could try Hotel AM Nockherberg. That's where I stayed last year. Hostelworld shows they still have availablility for the 29th and 30th for a 3 bed private ensuite. $169 p.p. for the Saturday night and only $99 p.p. for the Sunday night. It's not a bad place or location and we were able to park our car there last year too.

Kobe
09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey thanks..

We are currently in Bled, Slovenia and going to Zagreb for 2 nights tomorrow and than Hvar for a few nights..

Realized we are not going 2 finish all of this, going 2 spend more time here and avoid most of italy imo and than maybe fly back out there..

davidI
09-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Haha, it was a lot you were trying to cover. I think you've made the better decision to actually enjoy yourself.

Hope it has been a good trip thus far! :thumbsup: