PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain...please help!

The BMW Guy
08-27-2012, 03:32 AM
So I've had lower back pain for as long as I could remember.
Probably a good 4 years now. I brushed it off as me not being active or flexible or that I just play too much games sitting at a chair all day.

However, I am pretty active now (still working on flexibility) but it has been getting worse.

I am only 20 years old, my little brother at 14 years old is also telling me his lower back is in great dis-comfort. He is actually quite active with soccer so I Am not sure why he has such bad back pain as well.

I find it hard to sleep because it feels like there is a billiard ball under me at the lower back whenever I am laying down (I'm actually awake right now because of this).
I can't sit for long periods of time without trying to stretch my back somehow to relieve the pain. I always feel the need to 'crack' it but I can't. It feels stiff and tender at the same time.
This is driving me crazy.

I have no idea what to do. I'm in the process of strengthening myself and getting more active but I really want some professional help for my little brother and I. Any recommendations? I've been told to go to physiotherapy.

I don't have much money but I am willing to spend a decent chunk of change if it means my little brother won't have to go through the same discomfort I am in.

lellowrx7
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Ever had a massage?
I'd start there and tell them the issues your having.
If they know anything about the back muscles, they should atleast be able to point you to the right professional that can help.
Or maybe you've just got massive knots. Who knows.

J-hop
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Are you overweight at all, that'll do it, doesn't take much of a gut to strain your back muscles. What kind of core workouts do you do? Make sure you balance front and back workouts.

zipdoa
08-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Sounds like you might suffer from Lordosis. Are you taller guy? I just found out why my back has been 'pumped' for the past few weeks. You really got to watch your form on the big exercises (Deadlift/Squat) and make sure your posture is A+.

If your lower abdominal wall sticks out and your shoulders roll forward, chances are you have a case of Lordosis. There's lots of stretching exercises online, but Yoga will be one of the best things you can do for yourself. Lots of warrior poses.

http://cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/lordosis1.jpg

Moonracer
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Go to the chiropractor and have it xrayed and go from there. I've been living with a back injury for the last 25 yrs and the best thing I have done for it was go to the chiropractor and stay active.

littledan
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
i've had lower back pain since my MVA in 2004. i have found that physio with tens (sp?) machine, manual massage, and accupunture definitely helps over time. Also my physio taught me some stretching exercises to work on to help squish the disk back into place.

canadian booster
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Go to the chiropractor and have it xrayed and go from there. I've been living with a back injury for the last 25 yrs and the best thing I have done for it was go to the chiropractor and stay active.

bingo, 100% agree, they found a disc in my lower back (L5-S1) that is degenerating, meaning, i had to stop going to the gym years ago, but i've been pain free (more or less) since chiro visits and massage now and then

KRyn
08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Have you ever injured your back? If not you need to go to your GP and get your posture / back looked at.

Please read the below link... It may give you some insight into what is wrong with your back... I have two herniated discs that made my life very painful and uncomfortable. Hopefully you can find some relief sooner rather than later.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Posture.html

chibwack
08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I know this won't help much, but I used to ride both dirt and sport bikes and took some serious crashes on them. My back was tweaked as hell and would keep me up all night, I couldn't sit on a couch for more than a sitcom or two, my car was absolutely killer for anything more than about 20 minutes. But then one day my buddy crashed his hummer into a ravine with me unbuckled in the passenger seat, the impact was bad enough that I legit thought I broke my back (felt something pop for certain). Worst pain I've ever felt in my life for a few minutes. That was 2 years ago, I haven't had a bad day since. This is after suffering for probably 4-5 years, maybe more.

So moral of the story: get it checked out by chiropractor, might just need a solid readjustment!

zipdoa
08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by chibwack
snip

Hahahaha, made me think of:

http://www.journoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/homer.jpg

phreezee
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Get a TENS machine. It's what got me walking upright again after my back went out.

Pacman
09-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I speak from experience after having a herniated disc at L4/L5. I had 3 surgeries, with the final one being spinal fusion with titanium rods/screws.

Forget about the chiropractor and go directly to a real doctor like your family physician and ask to be put on the waitlist for an MRI. X-rays won't tell you much.

I have a TENS machine and it's fantastic for relieving tight muscles, but it's not getting to the root of the problem.

I, personally, don't understand the "science" behind a chiropractor and the type of value they provide. Perhaps they can identify a weak core and help you strengthen it. Until you get a proper diagnosis, I would hold off as I've heard more horror stories from my family doc and spine surgeon about them doing more harm than good when dealing with serious skeletal issues.

The BMW Guy
09-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all.
I think it might be flexibility issues actually. I found out that when i try and reach for my toes to stretch that it relieves a lot of the back pain.

Hopefully this is the solution!

scboss
09-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
Thanks for the suggestions all.
I think it might be flexibility issues actually. I found out that when i try and reach for my toes to stretch that it relieves a lot of the back pain.

Hopefully this is the solution!

Yeah most lower back problems are caused from tight hips and hamstrings. You should try to laying glute ham raises to

nYJNZwm1tPY

ExtraSlow
09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
From years of working in an office, having poor posture and a very weak core, about one year ago i was having big back issues. I was waking up in the night in so much pain I couldn't go back to sleep. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without wincing. Sometimes I would get stabbing pains if I lifted up a cup of coffee. It was bad.

I've never been a real believer in chiropractors, but I was desperate. After only a couple of sessions I was sleeping through the night again, and I was feeling waaay better. I saw this guy, who i think was an excellent chiro, for about six months, but my progress hit a real plateau, and I felt that it was easy to regress if I wasn't careful. I was seeing this guy about five times a month.

I'm now seeing a Physiotherapist, and I'm very pleased. She's much more focused on giving me homework (stretches and exercises) than on the "in session" work. I'm by no means 100% "cured" as I'm still weak, and that's the root of my issues, but I'm moving much more freely. I see her abut three times a month, and that's going to go down soon.

Only thing I hate is she does "dry needling" which feels very weird.

I've had a lot of deep tissue massages over the years, but I never got any real relief from those. Plus, if it's true
deep tissue" it hurt quite a bit. And it's expensive.

Anyway, for me, right now, Physio is where it's at. I go less often and I see better results.

Unknown303
09-08-2012, 10:23 AM
:werd:

Physio is the only way in my books.

Moonracer
09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Well physio is good if you have muscle pain or problems but when it's the spine and it's out of place then physio doesn't do much for the problem. In the end the key is to strengthen your core muscles and stay active and you will be happier! Try a little bit of everything and go with what works for you.

JfuckinC
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
my lower back used to be terrible, hurt so bad at hockey/trying to sleep.. started stretching the old hips out and now its awesome :thumbsup: