PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Recreational Dodgeball

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey all!

Me and a few friends have started up a dodgeball league and have been trying to find more players. We have a handful but we'd love to get more people excited about the sport. Our first drop in was last week and it was pretty successful through word of mouth. Now I'd like to get more exposure to the general public.

Our rules differ than that of CSSC and calgary dodgeball league in that it is much faster pace and rules are a tad bit different. Also the biggest difference is that we don't use that stupid red rubber ball (which hurts), we have soft foam balls (none of the hurting) with a thin rubber coating so it still has velocity when thrown.

If you'd like to come check it out we're hosting another drop in at Rundle College, we'll also go over the rules again real quick for new comers.

Anybody from all athletic levels are welcomed!

Also if you have any questions feel free to ask

Cost: $5 (helps cover insurance & venue costs)
Date: Thursday, August 30, 2012
Time: 6:45pm (we start playing at 7pm)

buh_buh
08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
the hurt is most of the fun

Disoblige
08-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds really fun. I love dodgeball.

How long does it last? (i.e. 7 pm - ?)

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
the hurt is most of the fun

You can still get sacked or self sack yourself, which I've done.

Ball(s) to hand to balls(my balls)

Originally posted by Disoblige
Sounds really fun. I love dodgeball.

How long does it last? (i.e. 7 pm - ?)

It lasts till 9PM

We start forming teams around 7PM but if you're late we'll just drop you into an existing team.

We usually do 6v6 but with it being drop in we can have odd numbers like 7v7.

we're just getting people use to the rules then eventually people will start forming teams and strategies.

Type_S1
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Wow...the hard red balls are the only fun part. Why throw things at people if they don't hurt?

I was in until I saw that. We played with those in high school and it turned one of the top 3 gym class games into a bunch of Pansy's pretending they are good at something.

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Wow...the hard red balls are the only fun part. Why throw things at people if they don't hurt?

I was in until I saw that. We played with those in high school and it turned one of the top 3 gym class games into a bunch of Pansy's pretending they are good at something.

Headshots, nutshots still hurt with these type of balls we use.

It's a foam core but it's still got some mass to it. It's hard to explain what it's similar to because honestly it's been engineered specifically for this sport and you can't even buy it here in Calgary!

We had to get them shipped to us from a sister association who gets them from Sweden.

Disoblige
08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Blownturbo

It's a foam core but it's still got some mass to it. It's hard to explain what it's similar to because honestly it's been engineered specifically for this sport and you can't even buy it here in Calgary!
Pretty sure I know exactly what you are talking about because high schools use the same kind if I'm not mistaken.

They also say the same thing as you; engineered specifically for dodgeball and they had to order it in.

Either way, I'd be interested in coming by to check it out at least once to see what it's all about.

KRyn
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
The best part of dodge ball growing up was throwing those red (pink?) balls at the un-athletic/fat/awkward kids in gym class. The satisfaction from laying them out and or knocking their glasses off with a perfectly placed headshot was indescribable. Like Type_S1 I have no interest in playing if those balls are not being used.

ArjayAquino
08-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Blownturbo
it's been engineered specifically for this sport

all I can think about is this
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/images/40wrench-400.jpg

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Well instead of the simplicity of hurting ppl, this transforms the sport so it's more about the teamwork, athleticism, and competition.

kinda like in basketball the joy isn't to knock some one over but to score on them and hurt their pride

hurrdurr
08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
it says August 23rd, Safe to assume the 30th?

I've played a couple seasons in CSSC, might be fun to get back into it before the fall season starts.

I could probably get some other people in too

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
it says August 23rd, Safe to assume the 30th?

I've played a couple seasons in CSSC, might be fun to get back into it before the fall season starts.

I could probably get some other people in too

That would be great and I also fixed the date. Thanks for that!

Blownturbo
08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Hmm I can't seem to link the youtube video of a game that was held in Vancouver

Here's the link though:

Link (http://youtu.be/UeWl9Vsta0Q)

Disoblige
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
UeWl9Vsta0Q

hurrdurr
08-27-2012, 07:09 PM
K I'll come. It's been awhile

JLau
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
damn, i wish you guys start a bit later at like 9, hard to make it when i am on night shift....or even on fridays

Type_S1
08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
See...look at that video...using real dodgeballs would make that game way better. Those ball catches would def. not happen so easy. These foam balls are terrible. Can't get the velocity and there is no chance to hurt anyone.

Using these takes the athleticism out of the game because all the nonathletic people have enough time to react as the ball is not being thrown as fast or hard.

Man up and wipe the sand out of your vajayjay.

TYMSMNY
08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
edit: nvm, can't attend. forgot about a prior commitment.

Have fun!

hurrdurr
08-29-2012, 11:36 AM
A have a girl that will come too

lasimmon
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Laughing at anyone who is demeaning the nerf balls.

At the U of A there is a Residence dodgeball league that uses those balls and man are those games intense. It makes CSSC (even the highest league) a complete and utter joke.

And as someone who has played with both kinds, I would dare anyone to try and throw the rubber ball as fast as I or any of my friends throw the nerf style. Also try and dodge them with huge curves and sinkers/risers.

Power_Of_Rotary
08-29-2012, 12:55 PM
^word

foam balls can curve and they are harder to throw fast if your a rookie. i found it way more fun to play and harder to anticipate the balls. makes it much harder to catch

chibwack
08-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

At the U of A there is a Residence dodgeball league that uses those balls and man are those games intense. It makes CSSC (even the highest league) a complete and utter joke.

And as someone who has played with both kinds, I would dare anyone to try and throw the rubber ball as fast as I or any of my friends throw the nerf style. Also try and dodge them with huge curves and sinkers/risers.
God I hated LDL. Nothing like a bunch of high school nobody's making themselves a big deal in front of the freshmen.

-relk-
08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
+1 for the foam balls.

Being a baseball player, I can throw a slider, curveball, riser (albeit not that great) with them to mess with the minds of the other team.

lasimmon
08-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by chibwack

God I hated LDL. Nothing like a bunch of high school nobody's making themselves a big deal in front of the freshmen.

Agreed, but it was lots of fun! Thats undeniable.

hurrdurr
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
That was a blast. Pretty well organized and lots of fun.

I'll be back on the 11th for sure

Disoblige
11-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Type_S1 & KRyn, we could make an elite Beyond dodgeball team.

Who's in? This will be the '92 dream team of dodgeball :rofl:
Play to win, and have fun at the same time.

Plus I want to see how much a powerhouse you are KRyn, no homo. And to put a face on Type_S1 haha.

100% serious, I want to form a team.
Post here if interested.

Perfect Dark
11-10-2012, 10:52 PM
If I can make the days work then I would be in for sure.

firebane
11-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd be down for some dodgeball!

Perceptionist
11-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

The Lister Dodgeball League is definitely intense, but throwing those lights balls as hard as you can really kills the arm. I saw a guy actually break his arm (the upper part between the shoulder and elbow) just from throwing one of those foam balls in the LDL! The perfect dodgeball would be something with a little more weight.

[Yu]
11-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Like Lasimmon, I too am from UofA, and the dodgeball league up there is intense.

I keep telling people, and I keep preaching, but its an experience you have to go to, to really understand the intensity.

When I broke my humerus from throwing a ball, I went to the ER. From there they tell me that 2-3 kids come to the ER a week from dodgeball, whether it be broken limbs, smashed faces, or various other things, its straight hardcore.

The red balls are called Rhino Skin balls.

Man, how I wish to play dodgeball again!

How big is the venue? can the balls be bounced off walls?
Do you guys still do this every thursday?

max_boost
11-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Dodgeball is so different than what I remember lol

It seems so serious and regardless what balls are being used, knowing that I am gonna get intentionally thrown at by someone is just too nutty for me haha

Disoblige
11-17-2012, 04:56 PM
lol ^^ if dodgeball is too nutty for you, I'm wondering what kind of hockey you're playing :P
Besides, you get to throw your balls at girls too :eek:

Blownturbo
11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey!

If you guys want to try dodgeball with the foam balls. The League is still running a drop in this wednesday @ branton Elementary 8:45pm again.

@[Yu]
we play half gym size so about 50ft in length to keep the pace of the game faster.
Balls can be bounced off the walls
It's on Wednesday for this week and we'll be switching venues to Western High next week because of limited gym availability

@max_boost
You play hockey max... that's pretty nutty. I challenge you to come out and play. It'll improve your reaction times :D

Also we're getting a looooot of beyonders to show up to these events... might even make it a sudo beyond meet hahaha

Edit:
Oh and we have a website now too!! Still in the works but we're getting there!

www.bossdodgeball.ca (http://www.bossdodgeball.ca)

TYMSMNY
11-20-2012, 08:11 PM
^ pretty good game. Thanks to Duncan for making me feel welcomed last week (first timer).

First time in sudden death too lol. :nut:

See you out there tomorrow!!!

Kjonus
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Looks likes this would be as good as anywhere to post as I'm on the hunt for a guy and a girl for my Intermediate dodgeball team with CSSC starting in the new year playing Thursdays. If your interested shoot me a PM

Kent

[Yu]
11-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey BlownTurbo

Thanks for the reply, I checked the the projected dates for playing and it seems pretty consistent!

I'm aiming for 2013 to play. At the moment my incision hurts from a hefty meal, I can only imagine what a ball to my abs would do :eek:

Awesome, I love the small gym style, definitely fast paced. Can visitors just come to watch for free sometimes? I just want to meet some people who also love dodgeball.

Blownturbo
11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
^ pretty good game. Thanks to Duncan for making me feel welcomed last week (first timer).

First time in sudden death too lol. :nut:

See you out there tomorrow!!!

Haha, Duncan is our resident social butterfly!

How did you do in sudden death? Honestly that's the best part of the game if you can manage to survive till the end. 1v1, definitely gets your adrenaline pumping.

Originally posted by [Yu]
Hey BlownTurbo

Thanks for the reply, I checked the the projected dates for playing and it seems pretty consistent!

I'm aiming for 2013 to play. At the moment my incision hurts from a hefty meal, I can only imagine what a ball to my abs would do :eek:

Awesome, I love the small gym style, definitely fast paced. Can visitors just come to watch for free sometimes? I just want to meet some people who also love dodgeball.

Yeah for sure! We usually get a large volume of people and theres 1 - 2 minute breaks in between games.

It's become quite the social gathering.

TYMSMNY
11-22-2012, 12:54 AM
^ nice to meet you "blownturbo" today.

Lost my sudden death but it was pretty fun... definitely gets the adrenalin pumping!

Kenny was out today too... AND on the winning team. :thumbsup:

kenny
11-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Lots of fun today hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow :)

Nice meeting you and now I finally know what your username stands for haha

Disoblige
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Edit: Found what I needed.