PDA

View Full Version : LF: Baby Monitor Recommendations..



78si
08-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Just wondering what kind of baby monitors you guys/gals are using.. I'm almost ready to order one that I can view from my android phone..

http://wifibaby.net/

http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors/iphone-video-baby-monitor.htm

Thanks for any info!!!:)

codetrap
08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I used a just an audio one. Digital, has a good range. Worked just fine. I really thought about buying the *geeky* ones like you had, but my wife vetoed it on the grounds that she wasn't always prepared to be in that room with the baby in "public" mode. There's a chance that you'll peek in to show your buddies and she'll be in there looking not so hot with a crying baby sucking on a tit.

The other reason is that when we went places, we took the baby monitor with us, and having a networked tied one meant we had to basically buy another standard one to use at the parents, or in a hotel, or camping... and so on.

In all honesty, if you really want, I'll sell you ours for $20. Looks like this with 2 receivers..
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120224/126r1/54464g7_20.jpeg

Pacman
08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I bought the Motorola MBP36. So far, we have been quite happy with it.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Currently using a two camera video monitor one from Summer Infant. They have about a dozen different models, so do some research online before you buy. I bought mine at toys r us, and the staff there know nothing.

Still loving this monitor, I can spy on both kids with one remote, and the range is very good.

SOAB
08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
the one we're using at home is made by Levana, model LV-TW301

http://www.mylevana.com/product-display.php?id=108

it comes with one camera, and you can buy additional cameras as needed.

you have one screen that can show you up to 4 different cameras. we have one in each of our 2 kids rooms.

78si
08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I bought the Motorola MBP36. So far, we have been quite happy with it.

Where did you buy your Motorola? I've been to toys r us and westcoast kids (e-childeren), I'm not sure where else to go besides online..

anothers10
08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I had a camera baby monitor from costco, it lasted 6 weeks and the picture was poor. Then we got a Uniden Portable Video Surveillance System with Camera, works great and was $50 cheaper than the baby monitor.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10332194&lang=en-CA

chengj
08-29-2012, 09:36 AM
We've been using one of these (Same camera manufacture as the NextStep one you linked to, but the newer version with better quality picture): http://foscam.ca/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html

Two way audio, view from any device (computer, ios, android, anything with a browser), wireless, pan & tilt, IR Night vision. Absolutely love it. I'd buy that camera direct from foscam, and get an app for $1-4. And save yourself some money. There are sales all the time. I'll post a coupon code if I can dig one up.
I'd avoid any product that adds the word "baby" or "infant" as it costs more.

Edit: The only coupons I could find were here:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/foscam.us They only give 5% off right now in Canada, but it's better than nothing I guess. If you're in no hurry, check again, cause they have a new "coupon" every few weeks.

Edit2: LaborDay will get you 10% off.

78si
08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks!! I'll order on Monday!


Originally posted by chengj
We've been using one of these (Same camera manufacture as the NextStep one you linked to, but the newer version with better quality picture): http://foscam.ca/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html

Two way audio, view from any device (computer, ios, android, anything with a browser), wireless, pan & tilt, IR Night vision. Absolutely love it. I'd buy that camera direct from foscam, and get an app for $1-4. And save yourself some money. There are sales all the time. I'll post a coupon code if I can dig one up.
I'd avoid any product that adds the word "baby" or "infant" as it costs more.

Edit: The only coupons I could find were here:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/foscam.us They only give 5% off right now in Canada, but it's better than nothing I guess. If you're in no hurry, check again, cause they have a new "coupon" every few weeks.

Edit2: LaborDay will get you 10% off.

bookem
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
We've got this Lorex model (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10361078&search=lorex&Mo=20&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=lorex&Ntt=lorex&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1) from Costco (plus the second camera for $89) and can't believe we ever lived without a video monitor. Daytime color/quality is mediocre, but night vision is pretty good.

Pacman
08-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 78si


Where did you buy your Motorola? I've been to toys r us and westcoast kids (e-childeren), I'm not sure where else to go besides online..

They have them at Best Buy. They were on sale last week for $199.99 but it looks like they are back to regular price now.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/motorola-motorola-3-5-video-baby-monitor-mbp36-mbp36/10199464.aspx?path=8ec6d55d81c95f8bf8c8ac7c29ec24caen02

I bought mine online from snugglebugz.ca, but only because I had a gift card to use up.

So far, I've been happy with it and the night vision is decent.

se7en
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
if you live in a condo, buy a few of the most popular ones, and listen in on your neighbors!

sillysod
09-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Angel Care with the movement sensor if it's a new born.

Movement sensor is a must IMO.

http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-4557775dt.jpg

danno
09-01-2012, 08:11 AM
we just bought the same as above, they're not here yet ( baby and monitor)

jdmgt
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
http://salequickblog.info/images/Best-Sales-Philips-AVENT-Digital-Video-Baby-Monitor_41Hl5Q4vF6L._475_407.jpg

got this one when we had our baby, it works really well.

SJW
09-02-2012, 06:29 AM
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3403821

this is what we bought. It's all we needed. Video is just excessive i find.

chengj
09-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by SJW
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3403821

this is what we bought. It's all we needed. Video is just excessive i find.

Ah, perhaps excessive, but for abou $5-10 ( I caught a good sale) more, I have IR capable video, two way audio...

guessboi
09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
We didn't purchase one for our baby. She's in the same room as us so it wasn't necessary. 5 months and 20lbs. :love:

UndrgroundRider
09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Angel Care with the movement sensor if it's a new born.

Movement sensor is a must IMO.

http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-4557775dt.jpg

:werd:

The AngelCare is a good unit. I've found it has longer range than other units, and the movement sensor works really well. One thing that is important to know is that the angel care will NOT prevent SIDS. It's very important to follow the standard guidelines of putting your baby to bed in the supine position, and also not putting fluffy blankets in the bed.

The breathing monitor provides good peace of mind, but I think that's about it. I don't think in the history of the product a baby was ever saved as a result of the alarm. At least that was the case when I was researching it a few years ago.

EDIT: I guess quite a few people have stories of saving their baby after the alarm went off. I dunno, YMMV.

blitz
09-05-2012, 06:29 AM
We bought an audi one off the Costco website, but never ended up using it because our son is so loud.

SIC1
09-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Angel Care with the movement sensor if it's a new born.

Movement sensor is a must IMO.

http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-4557775dt.jpg

This.

We have had our premature newborn home for the last 2 weeks and this is probably the most used item other than the bassinet. burp cloths, receiving blankets etc.

good resource for review is amazon. My wife is all about user reviews and when it comes to baby items she does her research on amazon.