PDA

View Full Version : My neighbours no longer want to pay for their side of the fence.

Pages : [1] 2

stevelou
08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I just found out that my neighbours who have agreed verbally (on more than one occasion) to paying for their half of the fence decided on a whim that they no longer wanted to pay for their half even though they agreed to it a week ago.
The fence material is being dropped tomorrow morning and its 1000 dollars to cancel. Is there any course of action that I can pursue or do I just have them build it on my property and paint the other side of fence hot pink. I know that the C of C no longer gets involved in these matters, so is small claims court my only option?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Edit * we are having it done through a contractor

wtf im nameless
08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Where did you buy wood from where it's $1,000 to cancel?

theken
08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Build your side. Paint dicks all over it, profanities and what not and the house will never sell if they move

JLau
08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
thats a lot of penalty charge....is the 1 side of fence even that expensive just for materials?

wtf im nameless
08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by theken
Build your side. Paint dicks all over it, profanities and what not and the house will never sell if they move

I bet if you did this and posted pics, you'd get some donations from beyonders to re-coup the neighbours share.

Masked Bandit
08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Build the fence anywayn and paint a big sign on their side that says "my neighbours agreed to pay for half the fence and then backed out at the last minute".

FraserB
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Build it on your side of the property line, have someone paint the other side with dicks, post pics of neighbors reaction.

I'd be in for $50

Type_S1
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
If you have the fence on your property you can write or draw whatever you want on their side (as long as it is not profanity) and they can't do anything about it.

This is what I would do just to prove a point.

Type_S1
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Build it on your side of the property line, have someone paint the other side with dicks, post pics of neighbors reaction.

I'd be in for $50

Writing things like "Gay and Proud", "I like big black..." etc would be good for a laugh when they see it.

phreezee
08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Offer payment plan? Maybe they had an emergency expense?

If not, that's a dick move on their part.:thumbsdow

Seth1968
08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Good luck trying to prove a verbal agreement unless you have a witness.

89s1
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
lol @ the replies thus far...

Tell your neighbor to "govern themselves accordingly."

stevelou
08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Yea I'm thinking florescent construction orange will be the base coat and maybe some big black dicks all over it with Suck It in quotations.....
We are going through a contractor so that 1000 is their insurance plan I guess. We are getting the fence done regardless of whether they pay or not. They told us they would pay half and also told the contractor as well. Will probably have a paint party to get their side up to their standards...:D

Disoblige
08-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Awesome, post some pics when finished :thumbsup:

blitz
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Do you live in a new community with architectural controls? If so, you might be the one who pays to repaint/refinish the other side of the house if "big black dicks" isn't listed as an acceptable fence finish.

FraserB
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Do you live in a new community with architectural controls? If so, you might be the one who pays to repaint/refinish the other side of the house if "big black dicks" isn't listed as an acceptable fence finish.

I see no valid reason it wouldn't be acceptable. :rofl:

Anyone know the actual legality on this kind of thing?

stevelou
08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to build whatever type of fence I so choose. If black dicks aren't allowed then bright construction orange it is haha

CanmoreOrLess
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Fence with glory holes cut out, weather vane (big floppy dildo) like in Fight Club. Do not Google "weather vane dildo", wife walks by and says "nice". Busted.

msommers
08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Stealth22
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by stevelou
We are going through a contractor so that 1000 is their insurance plan I guess. We are getting the fence done regardless of whether they pay or not. They told us they would pay half and also told the contractor as well. Isn't that your witness?

But if that doesn't work out, don't get into any legal issues, just paint it bright orange or pink, and write "MY NEIGHBOUR AGREED TO PAY FOR HALF THE FENCE, THEN BACKED OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE" on it.

davidI
08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Build the fence anywayn and paint a big sign on their side that says "my neighbours agreed to pay for half the fence and then backed out at the last minute".

This.

I'd try negotiating again and see why they're backing out - perhaps they'll agree to a payment plan or something (get it in writing).

If not, a daily reminder of how big of scum bags there are would be goodl.

Kloubek
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
That's a real asshole move by your neighbors.

If you're in a new development, find out about your bylaws. In Kincora, you need to build the Fortress 1 fence, and it must be their colour. (Although not many listen to the latter, most build the Fortress). People are right - if the bylaws state it must be a certain colour, then then complaining really could be a problem for you.

guessboi
08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
nice neighbours you got there...:thumbsdow

Mys73ri0
08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
how much to build the 1 side of the fence?

my guess if its $1000 to cancel the cost of the fence is probably a lot higher than what your nieighbors were expecting hence why they backed out...

seriously though $1000 for cancellation? the materials don't cost that much, and if he's a good contractor with decent business the materials can easily be used for his next job...

swak
08-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Contracts a contract.

Possibly a smart move on contractors part - to stop people from flaking out last minute when they find a better deal

nickyh
08-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Our landscaping contract stated that we would be liable for $xxx if we cancelled the job.

They've probably turned down jobs to get yours done so to them they are covering the lost revenue by OP cancelling.
Obviously, they would be able to fill the spot quite quickly but it shows that both parties are serious.

I'm in the opposite shoes of the OP, we built a fence with our neighbor and some went on our CC and some went on their CC and it's been 3 months and they are still not interested in sitting down and settling the details. I know we owe them money, but have no idea what our share of the lumber is as we bought the hardware.

Tik-Tok
08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
As said, build it anyways, but make 100% sure it's on your property. Then paint the boards on their side (whether it be a message, or just some disgusting god-aweful colour) before you put them up. (Maybe alternate fluorescent green and pink?)

That way they can't paint over it, and if they do, charge them with vandalism.

rony_espana
08-28-2012, 07:38 AM
I just went through something similar, my neighbour decided to build the fence without even asking me...when it was done he just sent the contractor (his brother) to ask me for the money. Bastards, but I still paid...not worth buying a new house then hating your neighbour over a fence.

davidI
08-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by rony_espana
I just went through something similar, my neighbour decided to build the fence without even asking me...when it was done he just sent the contractor (his brother) to ask me for the money. Bastards, but I still paid...not worth buying a new house then hating your neighbour over a fence.

Sketchy. Are you sure you didn't end up paying for the whole thing?

Disoblige
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by rony_espana
Damn that sucks hardcore. It goes both ways. Shitty neighbors building fences and shitty neighbors not paying for fences (OP's case). :banghead:

flipstah
08-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

It's classy and vindicative at the same time. I like it.

wtf im nameless
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Did you have to pay a deposit before the contractor did any work? If the contract was signed anywhere but the contractors office I don't think you're liable to pay anything to him if you want to cancel, regardless of what the contract stipulates.

If he works from home and you've paid before any work was done, you can back out at any time before he starts if the contract was signed less than 10 days ago.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1254.cfm

stevelou
08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Our neighbours knew what the price of the fence was going to be before any of this came about. As far as I know there are no restrictions for the type of fence we are building (Garrison 2 I believe). Its a 3500 dollar fence just for one side as its approx 85 ft of fence including gate and 6x6 posts and 2x6 braces all pressure treated. The reason I think the guy has the cancellation fee is because the materials were being dropped this morning and we only found out that our douche bag neighbours did not want to go forward with it last night through the contractor. They didn't even have the balls just to ring our door bell and tell us that they weren't comfortable with it.

They have had multiple opportunities to back out throughout the last week or so as I was off doing work around the house. I don't think that they are hurting for money as they are both in their late 50'S or early 60's.

Truth be told my wife and I kind of anticipated that this was going to go down b/c we talked to the sales staff and they've all warned us that they are the absolute worst customers that they have had walk through their doors in a long time. The type that figures they opted to buy/build a house with you and figure they should get everything at cost or that the builder actually owes them money haahah

:nut:

stevelou
08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
As for the colour scheme I'm waiting for the wife to get back from her road trip to decide on what colours we think fits best.

ercchry
08-28-2012, 10:13 AM
should have got them on the work order... get the contractor to do up two bills

benyl
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by theken

Originally posted by FraserB

I'd be in for $50

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Fence with glory holes cut out, weather vane (big floppy dildo) like in Fight Club. Do not Google "weather vane dildo", wife walks by and says "nice". Busted.

Wow, you guys sure like dick...

-relk-
08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would at least go talk to them about it, see what their situation is. It could just be a misunderstanding, since you havent actually talked to them about it recently (I think?).

If they still refuse to cooperate, then its time to bring out the bright pink/orange striped fence, and make sure the entire neighbourhood knows what kind of neighbors they are.

I would also be in to chip some $$ to cover the costs if you go ahead with painting it in an entertaining fashion, and document the end result for us :D

G-ZUS
08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Have a Beyond "Artist" meet. Charge people to paint/draw whatever they feel fit, BYOS.

C_Dave45
08-28-2012, 10:49 AM
So your neighbour refuses a verbal gentleman's aggreement to help you with the cost of the fence....and the solution is for you to spend even MORE of your money and MORE of your time just to paint his side of the fence! Yeah that'll fix him. :rolleyes:

Neighbour's a jerk. :dunno: Sucks, but end of story. Nothing you can do about it.

stevelou
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
We have tried to get a hold of them by phone as they don't technically take possession of their house until this thurs but are at the house every other day it seems. I guess I just have to sit out on my front stairs until they show to ask them face to face WTF. They are screening their phone calls right now we figure.

I think they may have lost money on their previous house so they may still be feeling the sting...... The wife left a message asking what is going on and why they didn't let us know earlier and they have not replied. i guess they figure they can avoid it and it will just go away.

Not likely:devil:

flipstah
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by stevelou
We have tried to get a hold of them by phone as they don't technically take possession of their house until this thurs but are at the house every other day it seems. I guess I just have to sit out on my front stairs until they show to ask them face to face WTF. They are screening their phone calls right now we figure.

I think they may have lost money on their previous house so they may still be feeling the sting...... The wife left a message asking what is going on and why they didn't let us know earlier and they have not replied. i guess they figure they can avoid it and it will just go away.

Not likely:devil:

I think a civil way is to discuss the matter and not avoid you. Just let you know that unforseen circumstances came up and maybe you two can work something out?

Otherwise... Not cool.

D'z Nutz
08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Wow, you guys sure like dick...

No kidding. Do you guys paint with your wrists?

http://thecenternetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/gay_hand.gif

If it were me and I wanted to be a douche. I'd put as many bird houses as you can fit all along their side of the fence and make sure they're well fed each day. In no time, their backyard would look like

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-d563Q3XxuFI/Th-bsEq__xI/AAAAAAAAAAA/zIGSu7fwoYY/s512/DSCN1215%255B8%255D.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6800397849_61a9d75284.jpg

Haha

brucebanner
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
That's a raw deal Steve. As many others said though, see if you can't catch them and try to have one last chat. If nothing reasonable comes of it, I think the sign like someone else suggested would be a great idea. Hope it works out for you.

lilmira
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
That's not a good start with a neighbour. I had to pay for the entire fence on one side too.

In addition to having artwork on a fence, am I also allowed to have gate in the middle? Of course the lock will be on my side :D .

projekz
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I would suggest installing some very bright light on your fence to make sure it stays safe...(they may point to their windows to ensure safety as well).

After all, you would want to protect you investement.:thumbsup:

dj_patm
08-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I think you should start a kickstarter to hire the best artist in Calgary for this type of work to paint the biggest, blackest, vainiest, most triumphant semen expelling dick on their side of the fence and watch it go viral.

That'll show those freeloading baby boomer fucks whats up.

BokCh0y
08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd be willing to toss in $50 too to offset the cost of the fence. Paint it up!!!!

JustinMCS
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
This happened to my parents way back when we lived in the city. They neighbours refused to pay for half the fence and said they want the yard open so the kids can play on both properties. The kid there was crazy and had attacked the neighbours house with a baseball bat on their garage door when the kids there got in a fight with him over somthing silly. So my parents paid for the fence and put in on their property and also let the neighbours know they can't put a gate up to the fence because it would be on our property.

ercchry
08-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
So my parents paid for the fence and put in on their property and also let the neighbours know they can't put a gate up to the fence because it would be on our property.

i like this idea! put the fence a couple feet in and make a flower bed on the outside of it so they would have to make a completely new fence a few feet over if they every fenced in their yard :rofl:

flipstah
08-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

i like this idea! put the fence a couple feet in and make a flower bed on the outside of it so they would have to make a completely new fence a few feet over if they every fenced in their yard :rofl:

But... My flowers... :cry:

I'd put a moat instead. :rofl:

davidI
08-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

Only problem is you're losing a couple feet of your yard and they're the ones who get to appreciate your flowers (unless you're picturing a chain-link fence) :rofl:

That said, it may not hurt to bring the fence in near the houses so that they cannot connect a gate as you're imagining. The bonus there is that you could build a flower box that you could enjoy (as you approach your gate from outside the fence).

I'd certainly at least threaten to do this to see if they will pay up!

SilverGS
08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by davidI

Only problem is you're losing a couple feet of your yard and they're the ones who get to appreciate your flowers (unless you're picturing a chain-link fence) :rofl:

That said, it may not hurt to bring the fence in near the houses so that they cannot connect a gate as you're imagining. The bonus there is that you could build a flower box that you could enjoy (as you approach your gate from outside the fence).

I'd certainly at least threaten to do this to see if they will pay up!

So don't put flowers. Make sure there are tons of weeds on the outside but really it would suck more to lose the yard space for a vendetta.

davidI
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

So don't put flowers. Make sure there are tons of weeds on the outside but really it would suck more to lose the yard space for a vendetta.

Now you're talking. Plant dope. Call cops. Blame neighbours. ??? Profit.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
The best idea so far is just an extremely bright color IMO. The dick drawings would obviously be hilarious, however they would have a much better chance of getting the city to make you take them down.

Neon/fluorescent pink or orange would do the trick, and I can't decide if it would be more of an eye sore to alternate every other board with a different color like neon green or just leave it a solid color.

Also this way you're only giving up a couple inches of yard space while still providing the maximum eyesore for the neighbors.

Make sure you build the fence as high as you're allowed to, so the eyesore is as big as possible.

I would suggest you find a way to talk to them at least one more time first to make sure the only reason they aren't paying for the fence is because they want you to pay for it instead. If there is a legitimate reason why they can't pay, then maybe wait until they can, but if they are just being cheap, then I highly recommend plan A haha.

-relk-
08-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by davidI

Now you're talking. Plant dope. Enjoy dope. Call cops. Blame neighbours. ??? Profit.

Fixed

stevelou
08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I made sure I had the fence built on my property so that A) I can paint it whatever colour I want (still undecided on colours) B) they cannot attach anything to it in any way, shape or form. By doing so I've also eliminated the part where they should pay for half, unless they have a change of heart....

We are still trying to take the high road and be civil with this whole situation. We will be trying to get a hold of them in person and ask them why they did not want the fence or why they waited until the last min to notify us, when they move in tomorrow. They won't return our call so I'm expecting a lame excuse. If its some BS excuse then I believe it will be justified to have a paint party.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Just make sure you don't have to stand on their property to paint the side that faces them, I assume then that they could get you to stop. You could probably also paint it from your side with a long roller haha.

ercchry
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Just make sure you don't have to stand on their property to paint the side that faces them, I assume then that they could get you to stop. You could probably also paint it from your side with a long roller haha.

every property has a "maintenance right of way" ...so technically you can work on your shit from their yard

Seth1968
08-29-2012, 10:53 AM
I call BS on the OP's side of the story. I'd like to hear something just as important; perhaps the neighbours side of the story FFS!

Anyway, early in this thread I mentioned that a verbal contract is enforceable, BUT the onus is on the accuser to prove that verbal contract. That's just about impossible to do without a witness.

The OP then claims his fence contractor was a witness, but despite this most (and only) critical component, the OP no longer mentions it. :thumbsdow

BTW- Go ahead and degrade the fence on the neighbours side. They'll probably sue you for property value loss.

colinxx235
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
^

LOL sue for property value loss from ugly fence. What are you smoking?

kenny
08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Just a quick question.

If the neighbor will back out of an agreement to split the costs, what makes you think they'll refrain from painting the fence after you attempt to make it look like shit?

What are you going to do about it? Spend more money and repaint it again?

End result will be you losing a bunch of yard space if you go through with this plan. Cut your losses.

flipstah
08-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Just a quick question.

If the neighbor will back out of an agreement to split the costs, what makes you think they'll refrain from painting the fence after you attempt to make it look like shit?

What are you going to do about it? Spend more money and repaint it again?

End result will be you losing a bunch of yard space if you go through with this plan. Cut your losses.

Not if the fence is within your property and not on the property line.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
If they paint the fence that's completely on his property I believe that is vandalism.

Yard space losses should only be an inch or two.

kenny
08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Not if the fence is within your property and not on the property line.

:facepalm:

Like I said, what will the OP do about it? I realize the neighbor isn't supposed to paint it, but he wasn't supposed to back out of the agreement either.

Yeah its technically vandalism but good luck finding somone that will do something about a fence that was "vandalized" by making it look better. There will be 4-5 other neighbors that can probably see this fence that will side with the guy you are trying to screw over because no one wants to see an ugly fence.

flipstah
08-29-2012, 11:15 AM

:facepalm:

Like I said, what will the OP do about it? I realize the neighbor isn't supposed to paint it, but he wasn't supposed to back out of the agreement either.

Yeah its technically vandalism but good luck finding somone that will do something about a fence that was "vandalized" by making it look better. There will be 4-5 other neighbors that can probably see this fence that will side with the guy you are trying to screw over because no one wants to see an ugly fence.

Then that defeats the purpose of our justice system. Yes, I realize that it's not always black and white but I can't break the law to make it "better".

I think the C-Trains are ugly with their beige color. I shall start painting it black. Black is slimming and frankly, it looks better.

kenny
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
There is no failure of the justice system. I think you're missing my point.

You paint the train, and the City / CT will sue your ass.

Neighbor paints the fence, what happens? Pay $ for lawyers to sue the neighbor? Call 3-1-1 to report a vandalized fence that shows no obvious signs of vandalism?

:rofl:

flipstah
08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
There is no failure of the justice system. I think you're missing my point.

You paint the train, and the City / CT will sue your ass.

Neighbor paints the fence, what happens? Pay $ for lawyers to sue the neighbor? Call 3-1-1 to report a vandalized fence that shows no obvious signs of vandalism?

:rofl:

This is such a moot point. I'm just gonna leave it. :rofl:

Seth1968
08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

LOL sue for property value loss from ugly fence. What are you smoking?

You've subdued the whole situation into some general statement that has nothing to do in this possible CIVAL law case. I won't even mention the evidence that may be given in this thread. lol

...but I digress, please enlightenment me, as you haven't provided any explanation.

dirtsniffer
08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
civil....

403ep3
08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow this is exactly what happened to my gf and her mom when they moved into their new house. The old fuck agreed to pay for half the fence and then backed out. We plan on painting the other side with cheap ass paint..they built it on their property too.

What can you do sometimes? Old retired UofC professors are stingy..

sillysod
08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Cash up front.... that's what you do.

roopi
08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if this was stated but is this in the NE or NW?

stevelou
08-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I call BS on the OP's side of the story. I'd like to hear something just as important; perhaps the neighbours side of the story FFS!

Anyway, early in this thread I mentioned that a verbal contract is enforceable, BUT the onus is on the accuser to prove that verbal contract. That's just about impossible to do without a witness.

The OP then claims his fence contractor was a witness, but despite this most (and only) critical component, the OP no longer mentions it. :thumbsdow

There isn't much else to the story we met before either one of us had moved in and it was agreed then that we would split the cost of the fence, it was again confirmed by us/them that was still the plan a few weeks ago. Around a week and a half ago it was confirmed a third time that they were still in agreement that the fence was a go with the quote we had already gotten. Then the contractor came out and told them the style of fence we had planned b/c thats what we have on the other side of our house. They initially wanted a step down style but were told by the fence builder that it would not only leave gaps at the bottom of the fence but it would also drive up the costs. They agreed to move forward with the planned style of fence. The only reason we found out that they were backing out is b/c the contractor needed to know what type of gate they wanted. When he called them thats when he was told they wanted no part of paying half. We tried to reach them and it has only gone to voicemail.

Other than that there is nothing else I'm leaving out

It's in the SE of all places :nut:

Disoblige
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Cash up front.... that's what you do.
:werd:, although for this situation it'd probably be tough. I'd do a written contract for sure though.

I'd treat it as a lesson learned. People.

You see, I wouldn't even mind if they had the guts to confront you about it and at least have the DECENCY to tell you they don't want the fence anymore.

But no, they rather hide and cower like bitches. Funny thing is, they're going to be your neighbors. Was it really worth it to piss you off before even moving into their new home? :rofl:

dj_patm
08-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Okay so they repaint the fence.. Hang a bunch of obscene shit all over the fence then. They can't do anything about that.

Dildo Garden?

brucebanner
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

BTW- Go ahead and degrade the fence on the neighbours side. They'll probably sue you for property value loss.

I wasn't there to be a witness but I have known Steve and his wife for 6+ years. I will vouch for him telling the truth. He's never been nothing but an upstanding guy in the time I've known him.

Have a painting party Steve, I'm sure you can round up some help. :D

ianmcc
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Talk to your contractor. Tell him the fence will go ahead but at a later date-explain to him the following plan:

Have the materials dropped off on the lawn right where the fence will go. Your neighbor will see the materials and assume the fence is going up. Let them sit for a while-tarp them if you have one. Soon he will wonder when the fence is going up. Go talk to him. Tell him to pony up or you will put in a fire pit and burn them one by one.

jdmXSI
08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Talk to your contractor. Tell him the fence will go ahead but at a later date-explain to him the following plan:

Have the materials dropped off on the lawn right where the fence will go. Your neighbor will see the materials and assume the fence is going up. Let them sit for a while-tarp them if you have one. Soon he will wonder when the fence is going up. Go talk to him. Tell him to pony up or you will put in a fire pit and burn them one by one.

What good would that do? He would have paid for them and if he only left a deposit, the contractor would be on the hook for the supplys. The OP wouldnt be any better than the neighbours trying to ditch out on the fence.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2012, 08:17 PM

ianmcc
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
The idea is to get the neighbor to pay, not paint giant dicks in neon pink on his side.
Maybe if the neighbor sees the wood just sitting there not going up he will be more reasonable. One way or another the fence is going up it's just a matter of who is paying.
Oh and another thing-once the fence goes up don't put in a gate for the neighbor. In fact any screws that face his side or where his gate would go-drill out the centers. Just enough that they can't be removed.

Pipty
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Why paint the whole thing, just roll a few lines of orange and and pink through it. They will have to do more work to paint it to look good

FraserB
08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
If he paints it right or plants the "special garden", I'm sure he could score enough cash off Beyonders when he posted pics.

lilmira
08-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Pipty
Why paint the whole thing, just roll a few lines of orange and and pink through it. They will have to do more work to paint it to look good

Even better, go around the block asking for free leftover paint. Don't mind explaining to everybody what and why you are doing. Just paint their side randomly. Or may be invite everybody to have a block party to help lol.

eblend
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM
somehow everyone is avoiding the fact that a fence is like 3.5k....is it made of gold? Seriously, you can build a very very big fence for that much money..regardless, sorry for your shitty situation. I would let the wood sit there until they agree to pay up.

dflamzer
08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Yeah $3,500 WTF. We had a huge 100 foot long, 6' beast of a fence made for that kind of money.

$1,000 to cancel must be a joke too.

Our neighbours were similar just they wanted to bicker after it was built. They actually came to us asking for $200 back saying they got screwd.

schocker
08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Wow this is exactly what happened to my gf and her mom when they moved into their new house. The old fuck agreed to pay for half the fence and then backed out. We plan on painting the other side with cheap ass paint..they built it on their property too.

What can you do sometimes? Old retired UofC professors are stingy..
Makes sense from what I have heard from the realtor when they moved in :rofl:

KappaSigma
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
I am guessing what happened...neighbours did a little due dilligence and found out costs were way too high for a typical fence. But they did their hoemwork very late into the process.

eblend
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
I am guessing what happened...neighbours did a little due dilligence and found out costs were way too high for a typical fence. But they did their hoemwork very late into the process.

Yah my thoughts exactly. If my neighbour came to me wanting $1750 for just one side of the fence....I would tell him to take a hike. It takes half a day to build and no more than 1k in materials

Mibz
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
I am guessing what happened...neighbours did a little due dilligence and found out costs were way too high for a typical fence. But they did their hoemwork very late into the process. Yeah, I kinda glossed over price at first, but if I said to my neighbour "Yeah, we'll split the fence" and then I got a quote for $3,500 I would back out too.

lilmira
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
It was about 35-40 per foot when I built mine a while back. It must be a very long yard for 3500bux on one side or the price has gone up a lot.

codetrap
08-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by eblend

Yah my thoughts exactly. If my neighbour came to me wanting $1750 for just one side of the fence....I would tell him to take a hike. It takes half a day to build and no more than 1k in materials Really? I'm not arguing about the price. But wouldn't it take a half day just to dig the post holes and cement in the posts? Before framing it out? Maybe I'm too meticulous, but when my neighbor and I redid a portion of the fence between our houses to make a shared storage space, it took the whole weekend (16ish hours + beer) to make it perfect, not including painting time.

stevelou
08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
They were still game for the fence after they had received the quote so I'm not sure still (b/c they/we haven't spoken yet) backed out. I know that I could've done it myself or with help for cheaper but I have yard work to deal with and didn't what to waste a few of my weekends putting up a fence not to mention I lack the necessary tools and know-how for the initial set-up.

eblend
08-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Really? I'm not arguing about the price. But wouldn't it take a half day just to dig the post holes and cement in the posts? Before framing it out? Maybe I'm too meticulous, but when my neighbor and I redid a portion of the fence between our houses to make a shared storage space, it took the whole weekend (16ish hours + beer) to make it perfect, not including painting time.

Yah I suppose there is the wait time for the cement to dry, but using the right tools the holes can be made pretty quick. It may take longer, but once the posts are in, the rest of the job is bang bang done.

stevelou
08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
We were quoted at $40 a linear ft.

dflamzer
08-30-2012, 10:05 AM
You can use concrete that will set within hours instead of the stuff that takes a week if you want to do a quickie job.

That said, the big beef guardian style fences are in the $45-50 linear foot area for pricing. They are one of the more expensive fences.

Is this being built out of pure cedar?

stevelou
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Its pressure treated, I believe its called the Garrison 2 style 6x6 posts 6' high, 2x6 at the bottom middle and top and a 2x6 on top and I can't remember what the boards are...

codetrap
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
eblend, I guess you can tell I've never had to actually build a fence. At least not since I was 3 years old. :)

maxomilll
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Really? I'm not arguing about the price. But wouldn't it take a half day just to dig the post holes and cement in the posts? Before framing it out? Maybe I'm too meticulous, but when my neighbor and I redid a portion of the fence between our houses to make a shared storage space, it took the whole weekend (16ish hours + beer) to make it perfect, not including painting time.

my crew (3 guys) hand dug post holes and built fence for 12 condos in three days. One fence in a day is totally doable.

Z_Fan
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM
For anyone who has this happen, build the fence ON THE PROPERTY LINE!

I sure hope you didn't make the mistake of building this fence on your own property.

If you built this fence on your property, you'd best hope you put it a fair bit inside the actual property line. Or your neighbour will be able to close up his yard with out touching your fence.

Z_Fan
08-31-2012, 09:33 AM
To clarify, a homeowner does NOT NEED the neighbours permission to build the fence ON THE PROPERTY LINE. So, simply because your neighbour does not wish to pay for the fence or even if the neighbour does not agree or want the same style of fence as you, you NEVER need to put the fence on your own property for those reasons. If you are in this position you always build on the property line. Period. So you just get it done quickly and then let the neighbour be fucked instead of fucking yourself.

If there is no fence, you can and should build the fence on the property line. Your neighbour can then build HIS fence on HIS property (if he dislikes the common fence so much) and lose HIS yard.

Land is expensive.

Why would you want to effectively GIVE your land to your neighbour for *FREE* just because he doesn't want to pay for the fence?

Not only that, but you're giving him that land for *FREE* and *YOU* will pay the property tax for it. (Forever)

The ideas of painting fences strange colours are always amusing however childish. The satisfaction of which is minimal and short lived.

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF BUILDING A FENCE ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY!