PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 Abarth

Markll7
08-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to figure out my next small car purchase and a co-worker suggested that I try out the Fiat 500 Abarth. Does anyone here have one ? How are they on reliability and depreciation ? Are they easily tuned ?

I'm booked in for a test drive at the dealership on Thursday but would like to see what other Beyonder's think about the car.

My_name_is_Rob
08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
I have been watching these as well since spring. As far as i know the only two at dealerships in alberta, are in edmonton. Was going to go look at them tomorrow, but if not, you should post up your impressions of them.

Markll7
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm taking a look at the black one at Derrick Dodge on Thursday, where's the other one at ? Were they only a limited edition run for Canada like the Golf-R ?

My_name_is_Rob
08-29-2012, 12:23 AM
The other one is a grey one at capitol chrysler. And I am guessing its because they are either in high demand, or they take a while to make after the orders are in. Which is kinda funny, cause i think these ones are just the demo cars that took months to get in.

I havent heard about them being limited production, like the R's, and our neighbors to the south have been getting them for a couple years already i believe.

FullFledgedYYC
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I have driven a Fiat 500 as a rental car (not Abarth).

Good car, it has more storage capacity than you would think. When I was driving it I hit a small bump in the road and my 4-way flashers came on and would not turn off, even if I turned the car off. I tried rummaging around under the hood and under the dash and could not get them to turn off (it was pitch black out... so this didn't help).

I drove back home and they eventually turned off on the way home, but then came back on again.

I took some of the panels off to get at the relay/fuse box below the steering wheel and found that one relay seemed to be loose. I just pushed everything back in rather hard and it didn't happen again.

Hopefully you don't like doing your own maintenance/work on your vehicle as that engine bay is EXTREMELY tight.

I would love to try the Abarth, the regular 500 with an auto was by no means slow... so I imagine a manual with a turbo would be quite quick.

Canmorite
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
When I was driving it I hit a small bump in the road and my 4-way flashers came on and would not turn off, even if I turned the car off. I tried rummaging around under the hood and under the dash and could not get them to turn off (it was pitch black out... so this didn't help).

I drove back home and they eventually turned off on the way home, but then came back on again.

I took some of the panels off to get at the relay/fuse box below the steering wheel and found that one relay seemed to be loose. I just pushed everything back in rather hard and it didn't happen again.

Hopefully you don't like doing your own maintenance/work on your vehicle as that engine bay is EXTREMELY tight.

Ah, sounds like a true Fiat :rofl:

flipstah
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM

I was sold on this car until you mentioned this.

I think it looks/sounds great and way better value than a Mini Cooper S.

I still think it's a sweet buy!

DeleriousZ
08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Do they let you test drive the girl from the abarth commercial too?

FullFledgedYYC
08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I was sold on this car until you mentioned this.

I think it looks/sounds great and way better value than a Mini Cooper S.

I still think it's a sweet buy!

Maybe it's not THAT horrible... I mean the new Civic SI also has a pretty tight engine bay... heres a pic for reference.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5235/7243194790_3760e8aa95_b.jpg

flipstah
08-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Maybe it's not THAT horrible... I mean the new Civic SI also has a pretty tight engine bay... heres a pic for reference.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5235/7243194790_3760e8aa95_b.jpg

That looks painful to get a timing belt changed. Then again, I haven't seen it in person so it's a bit subjective.

Hash_man
08-29-2012, 06:29 PM
We have two Fiat 500's at my work now for company cars. Both non-abarth models, one just purchased, the other a year old with 16,000kms on it now.

My personal impressions;

The fiat 500 looks good, interior materials feel like a 16,000$ car (lots of hard cheap plastics), which is what they start at, although one of ours came to around $22000 with options. The sport model gets a fake leather and hi-tech cloth combo, which looks nicer then base, but the cloth material stains super easily. The seating position always feels really high, and with a sunroof headroom is terrible even with the seat in lowest position, my hair is brushing the roof (I am 5'10").

The brakes are good for a small car, gas mileage is mediocre for such a small car in the city, we usually average about 8L/100kms. The 6spd auto is actually a pretty good transmission, but I imagine the car would be much more fun with a stick. Cargo room really sucks with the back seats up, you can't fit a whole lot back there, but with the back seats folded flat it is pretty good.

Within the year we have hard ours it has been pretty much problem free aside from the following issues which are going to be covered under warranty; LH door hinge keeps coming loose, heater blower motor makes a bunch of noise, and the armrest on the seat fell apart.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2012, 08:36 PM

FullFledgedYYC
08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
When I worked for a car dealership we had a few Mini Coopers on the used lot.... I got to know the service advisors very very well at Mini in Crowfoot since I had to take a car there every week.

94boosted
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Will we be getting the Abarth Esse Esse? Or is that Europe only?

I'd take a 500 Abarth over a mini cooper as those are a dime a dozen and way overpriced :dunno:

James Martin
08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Markll7
I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to figure out my next small car purchase and a co-worker suggested that I try out the Fiat 500 Abarth. Does anyone here have one ? How are they on reliability and depreciation ? Are they easily tuned ?

I must say that you select a gorgeous car. I love small cars and I love this one. The sound of this car make you crazy. Uniquely designed, superb handling and balance. What you want in small cars?

flipstah
08-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

I'd take a 500 Abarth over a mini cooper as those are a dime a dozen and way overpriced :dunno:

From what I've read, the Abarth version for the North American market is the Esse Esse version in Europe.

US Fiat's need more hp to move American fat-asses.

94boosted
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

From what I've read, the Abarth version for the North American market is the Esse Esse version in Europe.

US Fiat's need more hp to move American fat-asses.

I thought that the Esse Esse was above the Abarth sort of like an Abarth with the dial cranked to 11. i.e. what the Cooper JCW is to the Cooper S :dunno:

r3ccOs
08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
knowing fiat's and Alfa Romeo's... really outside of how pretty they can be

why would anyone in their right mind want to buy one?

I have an Alfa Milano and had a GTV and a spider and being an owner is as much heart ache as it is pride with trying to keep these things running

toastgremlin
08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

I thought that the Esse Esse was above the Abarth sort of like an Abarth with the dial cranked to 11. i.e. what the Cooper JCW is to the Cooper S :dunno: It is - more boost, more goodies.

It's not worth comparing models directly; the American model is almost completely different to the Euro model.

The engine is different, the tune/ECU is different, alignment is different, tires are different, the suspension is different (different spring rates damped by Koni FSDs from the factory thanks to SRT). The exhaust is different, using an SRT-4 style resonator.

Think of it more as a Fiat 500 SRT-4 than the Abarth you may have seen from European sources.

The cool thing about the Abarth (v. the regular 500) is the MultiAir engine; valves are actuated electronically instead of by a camshaft. This means that you get reduced internal losses as well as a ridiculous amount of potential for tuning. I think the Dart has this too; there's no way an SRT Dart isn't on its way.

Chrysler Canada's press release about some of the changes made to the Abarth:
http://www.chryslercanada.ca/productinfo_abarth/contents/Press-Releases/English/PDFs/CN_Fiat500Abarth_Engineering.pdf

Jack Baruth's review of the 500 Abarth, touching briefly on North American changes:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/03/review-2012-fiat-500-abarth/

To make things more confusing they're also coming out with a Fiat 500 Turbo, which is not as good as the Abarth but better than the regular 500.

flipstah
08-30-2012, 01:50 PM

I thought that the Esse Esse was above the Abarth sort of like an Abarth with the dial cranked to 11. i.e. what the Cooper JCW is to the Cooper S :dunno:

Originally posted by toastgremlin
It is - more boost, more goodies.

It's not worth comparing models directly; the American model is almost completely different to the Euro model.

The engine is different, the tune/ECU is different, alignment is different, tires are different, the suspension is different (different spring rates damped by Koni FSDs from the factory thanks to SRT). The exhaust is different, using an SRT-4 style resonator.

Think of it more as a Fiat 500 SRT-4 than the Abarth you may have seen from European sources.

The cool thing about the Abarth (v. the regular 500) is the MultiAir engine; valves are actuated electronically instead of by a camshaft. This means that you get reduced internal losses as well as a ridiculous amount of potential for tuning. I think the Dart has this too; there's no way an SRT Dart isn't on its way.

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/productinfo_abarth/contents/Press-Releases/English/PDFs/CN_Fiat500Abarth_Engineering.pdf

Jack Baruth's review of the 500 Abarth, touching briefly on North American changes:

To make things more confusing they're also coming out with a Fiat 500 Turbo, which is not as good as the Abarth but better than the regular 500.

According to FIAT Canada, the Abarth model that we have comes 160bhp standard.

The EsseEsse kit adds that punch:

http://abarthcarsuk.com/abarth-cars/abarth-500/abarth-500-esseesse/

So in essence, our 'Abarth' is their 'Esse Esse'.

EDIT: Oops, didn't fully read the post. Carry on. :)

Kloubek
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by James Martin
Uniquely designed, superb handling and balance. What you want in small cars?

Quality?

DeleriousZ
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
All of these new gas engine cars coming out with the VGT turbo's... They must really get up and go vs what most people are used to for a small engine turbocharged vehicle. Would be cool to get out and test drive one of these.

toastgremlin
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the Abarth in Europe uses an IHI RHF3 which is a fixed geometry turbo. A variable geometry turbo would be amazing if they did indeed bring it here.

Also, apparently the regular US market Fiat 500 does get the MultiAir engine (1.4L) across the board.

94boosted
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
It is - more boost, more goodies.

Cool thanks for the details.

These things would be a lot of fun in auto-x :D

mgwatson
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
lightly used Mini Cooper S > new Fiat 500 Abarth in just about every way; Styling, Power, Handling, QUALITY, interiors are both pretty novelty..

Aleks
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Yes we are, except it's called Fiat Turbo.

So there is Fiat 500 (100hp), Fiat Turbo (135hp), Abarth (160hp)

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/not-to-be-confused-with-the-abarth-fiat-releases-new-20995-turbo-500/

My_name_is_Rob
08-31-2012, 12:37 AM
How did your test drive go OP? Any pros or cons that stood out to you?

Markll7
08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Things fell to shit at the dealership, the guy who I booked the appointment with wasn't there and when a older salesman tried helping me the first thing he asked was "Do you have money?"

:banghead:

I'm meeting up with the 780 Fiat club later tonight, one of them has a red Abarth with the Magnelli CPU upgrade and the Brembo BBK promised me a drive so I'll report back in a few hours.

Sugarphreak
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM

My_name_is_Rob
08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Well thats somewhat disappointing. Do you have to be pre approved for a test drive?!?

Im sure the ride will be an even better substitute though. Whats it at for power after the chip?

Offroad
09-01-2012, 01:08 AM
ywmtrrFf4xo

sputnik
09-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Offroad
ywmtrrFf4xo

:rofl:

@8:40

LOLzilla
09-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Had a Fiat 500 Sport as a rental for nearly 2 months. It was a fantastic car. The reason the dealer is being an idiot is because the Abarth's are sold out for this model run.

r3ccOs
09-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

lol, that would piss me off pretty good.

Both Heninger Toyota and Advantage Ford did similar things to me. I won't step foot in either of those dealerships ever again because of it.

they've acctually "asked" that?

unbelievable...

I tell you, I will not set foot in woodridge ever again... may have been the same "copped" attitude, as the sale person was completely dismissive to my questions and not even once offered to let us drive the new exploder...

I pretty much just said, you know what... "I don't have time for this idiot nor this dealership", to my wife, loudly (enough for all the customers to hear)... and just walked out...

and I made sure to make eye contact with the general sales manager when I said this...

then while I was going back to my car, he came out and was trying to ask what the problem was...
I said, go ask your sales team

Its funny... I found bmw, audi and finally Volvo, much more helpful with "low" pressure tactics, who'd rather let the product sell themselves... I, like many others I'm assume, was offered to borrow their products for an extended test drive (weekend tests)

anyways back to Fiat Abarth

to me, they're a niche...
the Fiat 500 fill a small gap to provide a luxury ultra compact, with good fuel effenciency to compete in a segment filled with nothing but entry level tin boxes (other than the MINI)

adding a turbo and sports suspension is "neat" but I just don't think its the appropiate chasis to do that with...
I don't see why one wouldn't buy a Miata and honestly the superior MINI instead

Sugarphreak
09-03-2012, 10:28 AM

GT4rally
09-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I don't see why one wouldn't buy a Miata

Because, no matter how great Miata's are on an auto-x track... you still look like a 16-year-old girl driving one!!!

black300
09-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Here's one for sale in Alberta, don't know how much this one is marked up compared to dealers.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Fiat-500-abarth-edition-the-only-one-around-W0QQAdIdZ411018686

SIR_EP3
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by black300
Here's one for sale in Alberta, don't know how much this one is marked up compared to dealers.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Fiat-500-abarth-edition-the-only-one-around-W0QQAdIdZ411018686

That price is about right but if you had the car preordered for a long time then the price would've been about 5 grand cheaper. But at the price for right now i would guess there isn't much or at all any flexibilty in the price.

My buddy has one and thats what he did and he LOVES his car.
interior is really nice. The back suprisingly isn't that small since me and my gf sat in the back while driving up to edmonton.

msommers
09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
A friend of mine has a mini and that thing has more hours in the shop than on the road.

Aleks
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by black300

Car starts at 24,000, loaded one is 30 + tax. So asking 35k for a used one is interesting :rofl:

DeeK
09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25675495.jpg