PDA

View Full Version : Good economic (manufactering) hot spots in Sask?

Graham_A_M
08-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey guys. I work at a shop that builds oil field equipment, but where I work a co-worker asked me after work if I know of any good places in Sask that are hiring, and where is a good place to buy a home nearby for that sort of work.

Off the top of my head I couldn't think of much of anything. :(
So I told him I'd ask around and see on his behalf.

Along with working in the Pot ash mines doing machining and that sort of thing, what other good places are there as well?

I think he's a bit tired of Calgary living, along with housing prices, and wants to buy a much nicer house and get paid decently as well.

Any related suggestions at all? I know housing prices are getting a bit stupid in Regina, but how about Saskatoon, Estevan and that sort of thing? Also, what kind of economy do they have as well?
Too my knowledge there really isn't too much manufacturing type jobs generally in Sask. Asides from working up north in the Pot Ash mines that is.
He's a really capable guy, and is currently a machinist in our shop.

Thanks a huge amount for reading this and offering any help you can.

sillysod
08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I have some customers in Weyburn, Esterhazy, Yorkton, Regina etc... all over there. That seems to be the busiest area right now in SK.

Work is available, but the pay is definitely not the same as here.

chibwack
08-29-2012, 04:29 PM
The only place I know of is Estevan with all the oil activity. But you couldn't pay me to live there. Trust me, they tried :thumbsdow

SKR
08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I think he's a bit tired of Calgary living, along with housing prices, and wants to buy a much nicer house and get paid decently as well.

Tell him to stay home if costs are the main factor. I don't know what kind of a house your coworker lives in, but he won't find one better for cheaper anywhere in Saskatchewan right now.

For the rest of your post, anything around Lloydminster, Macklin, Kindersley, Swift Current, Shaunavon, Weyburn, Estevan, Esterhazy, Melville, and Wynyard, in addition to Regina, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw, will be where any manufacturing is taking place with either oil or potash.

Potash is south and central Saskatchewan. Like, from Saskatoon down to Yorkton, Yorkton to Moose Jaw, and Moose Jaw to Saskatoon. It's a pretty big area and not up north. You might be thinking of the uranium mines. Oil is the entire western and southern sides of the province. There's lots here, but it's not cheap to live here anymore.

dieselpower91
09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
SKR is right. House prices in sask. are not much improvement from Alberta unless you are way out of a major center.

My brother moved out to Saskatoon a few years ago and has been complaining how high the prices are, I went to visit him a few months back and had a browse through the local Homes and Land magazine.

I would say on par with Calgary for house prices in Saskatoon and surrounding areas!