PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD, not another one of these threads...

Pages : [1] 2

spikerS
08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Ok guys, first off, I apologize to all of you for yet ANOTHER one of these "what car should we get threads".

With that out of the way, here goes.

Baygirl and I are looking for a new vehicle, but we are kinda butting heads over what kind of vehicle to be looking for. For the most part, we are in agreement of looking for a SUV or truck. We have the 2 girls, who are both going to be pretty tall, so we need something with 4 doors, and leg room in the back, and something that can tow a utility trailer and tent trailer. We want something with "giddy up and go" as Baygirl calls it, and I want something that does not break the bank in the fuel efficiency department. Must at least be AWD as I am not going to have a repeat of being stuck in a snowdrift in the middle of the road on Metis Trail, so selectable 4x4 is the preferred drive train here.

Some of the vehicles we have taken a look at so far:
2012 Mazda CX-5 (mopeds have better acceleration, but lots of room)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Baygirl is not sold on the looks)

I am hoping to keep this under $30k, still want something fun, and at least somewhat economical. Additionally, if anyone has hook ups that can offer us a hell of a score, please pass my info on. PM me if you need my contact info.

Cheers guys!

Disoblige
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
The under 30k part is a tough one.

Hyundai Tucson AWD?
Kia Sportage (SX Turbo model is 40k, otherwise all other trims come with 2.4L, 176 hp motor)
Boring Nissan Rogue?

IMO, the Tucson is the way to go. Good bang for your buck.

corsvette
08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Both Motor Trend and Car & Driver did comparo's on all the new small suv's this month (issue on sale now) The Mazda CX-5 and Ford Escape did very well (1st place win for each) The Hyundai/Kia's placed last as usual. If you give these rags any merit they can give great insight on the the pro's and con's of each vehicle.

JRSC00LUDE
08-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Tell Baygirl the Jeep looks fine and be done with it.

03ozwhip
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Ok man, you know me personally, we talk about this shit all the time, I'm going to tell you, I drove all of the SUV's in the 30k range and by far the best bang for your buck and still IMO the best vehicle I found period, is the 2012 Dodge Journey RT.

Edit: the 2012's are on sale right now too, plus I'm sure you can haggle on that as well. Also, I just read a post about the ford escape, I checked out the 2012 and what a hunk of shit, but I did hear that the 2013 is better, but have no real comment on it.

The only thing that may be an issue is you are quite a bit taller than I am, so I'm not sure what it will be like in the drivers seat, but its definitely worth a look.

Its got for the most part, better looks, you'll get leather heated seats, AWD and 283hp for 30k or under. At least give it a look man!

spikerS
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Both Motor Trend and Car & Driver did comparo's on all the new small suv's this month (issue on sale now) The Mazda CX-5 and Ford Escape did very well (1st place win for each) The Hyundai/Kia's placed last as usual. If you give these rags any merit they can give great insight on the the pro's and con's of each vehicle.

Yeah, the salesman at the mazda dealership gave me a photocopy of it, and once I read the report, the Bias was so thick I could hardly breathe.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
well, I am even considering a new truck. I have noticed an advert for a new 2012 Dodge Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab for $27k with the HEMI and the MDS. Seems pretty appealing to me...

FraserB
08-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Jeep is a joke for towing and you most likely won't find a 2012 under $30k. The 2007-2011 engine sucks to boot.

How new does it have to be?

Team_Mclaren
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I dont think you should be towing anything with one or the other....

Xtrema
08-29-2012, 05:29 PM
CX-5 is a good cute ute. Not sure if they will ever bring diesel version over but every review seems to think diesel version would be better. The 2.0 skyactive engine is just not up for the job on a highway with full load.

But for just for around town, it's probably one of the better ones.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 05:31 PM
well, i suppose it does not have to be brand spanking new, but I want something that has full warranty still on it, so nothing over the 25k KMs on it.

JRSC00LUDE
08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
03oz isn't that far off.

My parents drive a constant parade of Chrysler products on dealer plates. Right now my mom is in a Journey and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it. For what it is, it's been a good vehicle,

spikerS
08-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I know, but for me, the journey is too much like a minivan. I don't know if I want to drive one as my DD...

roopi
08-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by spikers
well, I am even considering a new truck. I have noticed an advert for a new 2012 Dodge Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab for $27k with the HEMI and the MDS. Seems pretty appealing to me...

Take a look at the F150. The ecoboost is great on gas and no other vehicle is going to have as much rear seat legroom as the super crew.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Like this offer looks pretty enticing to me...

http://www.ramtruckoffers.ca/special-offers/alberta/en/ram/1500/2680

03ozwhip
08-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Drive one and you will see. Do you think I'd drive a minivan dude? Come on lol

JRSC00LUDE
08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

I agree, I don't find it like a minivan at all. Try one out, what have you got to lose?

Now, let's prepare for the onslaught of domestic bashing.....there's been far too much Ford and Dodge talk here.

max_boost
08-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Now that's more like it.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

hahaha, I would have agreed with you till I saw you in a Journey...

Darkane
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM

These trucks have VERY LITTLE backseat room.

Go for the crew cab<?> The one larger. Megacab isn't offered in 1500 series I think.

baygirl
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Tell Baygirl the Jeep looks fine and be done with it.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Wrangler. It has the room we need, and I enjoyed driving it for the most part. However I would like to see what our other options are before I give him permission to buy it lol

Originally posted by Xtrema
CX-5 is a good cute ute. Not sure if they will ever bring diesel version over but every review seems to think diesel version would be better. The 2.0 skyactive engine is just not up for the job on a highway with full load.

But for just for around town, it's probably one of the better ones.
I liked the look and feel of the CX-5, however acceleration sucked and that turned me off from it.

Anyone have feedback on the Tuscon? And as Spikers said, 4 door trucks are also being considered.

Masked Bandit
08-29-2012, 08:18 PM
What about a year old Toyota RAV4 with the V6? Lots of room and decent power all things considered

Even after buying a Ram for myself I don't have much faith in the long term reliability of Chrysler product. That Jeep is also going to be pretty thirsty with respect to fuel.

03ozwhip, you had some issues with your Journey right at the start. I'm assuming that got fixed up on warranty. Any issues since?

spikerS
08-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
What about a year old Toyota RAV4 with the V6? Lots of room and decent power all things considered

Even after buying a Ram for myself I don't have much faith in the long term reliability of Chrysler product. That Jeep is also going to be pretty thirsty with respect to fuel.

03ozwhip, you had some issues with your Journey right at the start. I'm assuming that got fixed up on warranty. Any issues since?

HAHAHA, we currently have 3 Chrysler products right now. Ram, Jeep, and the Neon...

AndyL
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Shall I tell you about my (then) 2 week old 2012 ram that blew a transmission... and the two week wait for a replacement...

Dunno if the hemi is worth it, I went with the 4.7 and even with all my tools, and roof rack - I get better mileage than that damn rental.

Masked Bandit
08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
I guess I'll have to live with this truck for a few years to see what it's really like with regards to reliability. It's strange that I still don't have much faith in the brand even after I was willing to buy one, but I am VERY happy with the performace of this truck versus the other offerings on the market.

I think resale would be pretty nasty on Hyundai / Kia. I'm a big fan of the CR-V for just about everything you have mentioned EXCEPT towing. I can't imagine pulling anything more than a utility trailer with one of these. The wife has had hers for a little over 8 years now, problem free.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey MB, you should shoot baygirl and I a quote on the insurance costs on the jeep and the ram.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM

03ozwhip
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
You're a jerk Spikers you hurt my feelings. :cry: also MB, I had that one issue, it was fixed promptly and I've had 0 issues since then, so its been a good vehicle.

cam_wmh
08-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Jeep is a joke for towing and you most likely won't find a 2012 under $30k. The 2007-2011 engine sucks to boot.

How new does it have to be?

Ya but, as a parent, they'll love the Jeep on the highway.. you won't be able to hear your children over the road noise. :rofl:

FraserB
08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

Ya but, as a parent, they'll love the Jeep on the highway.. you won't be able to hear your children over the road noise. :rofl:

The downside is the kids will be yelling all the time becuase they will be deaf:rofl:

spikerS
08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

Actually, the road noise is quite negligible I found in the test drive. was a hell of a lot quieter than we were expecting. If we were talking about my old YJ, I would have agreed with you.

flipstah
08-29-2012, 10:01 PM
How about the F-150? I drove it on the field and I think it rides better than the RAM 1500.

Interior is better in the Dodge though.

spikerS
08-29-2012, 10:02 PM
yeah, going to see what ford can do about touching the 26k price that dodge is offering. I think I would rather have the Ford too.

CRXguy
08-30-2012, 01:23 AM
I was reading some paper today, and Ford has employee pricing on their F150 trucks. This was from Metro Ford.

2012 XLT Crewcab 5.0 - $28,xxx
2012 FX4 Crewcab 5.0 - $31,xxx

JRSC00LUDE
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
However I would like to see what our other options are before I give him permission to buy it lol

If a woman talked like this about me, I'd lock her in the cellar. :angel:

I would disagree that the Ford truck has a better ride than the Dodge. I spend enough time in both and I think the Dodge is the winner but at the end of the day, they're both miles ahead of what trucks used to ride like.

max_boost
08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

If a woman talked like this about me, I'd lock her in the cellar. :angel:
Lease it and put it in her name. :D

ZeroGravity
08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
we have a 09 Rav4 V6 sport and it has be quite good in terms of power and fuel efficiency.

According to the fuel consumption computer we averaged around 9.7 L / 100 km (regular unleaded) for over at least 1 year (didn't reset the computer... so the figures covered both summer and winter driving). Mixed (mostly) city and some highway trips to Edmonton.

We've reset the computer recently, and right now the average consumption is sitting at 8.8 L / 100 km.

I have never towed anything before but the V6 is "rated" for 3500 lbs.

And for the record, we were heading south on Metis trail (turn off from Stoney) the morning after the snow storm. Didn't get stuck, but I had to wait it out for the dosers to clean out an intersection to rescue someone in a sedan.

Rear seats can move forward / backwards, and reclinable. Lots of legrooms for us. Then again, we're asian, I'm only 5'6 and my wife is shorter.

Having said that, the Rav4 is supposedly due for a model change. Current generation (3rd) was introduced in 2006. Minor facelift happened for 2009 model. And about halfway through 2009 model year, production was switched from factory in Japan to factory in Ontario.

msommers
08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
I dont think you should be towing anything with one or the other....

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree here. For sub 30K SUVs, I can't think of one that is suitable for towing. I mean you probably could do it but sounds kinda sketch.

The F150s now are pretty solid trucks and get decent mileage for a truck. The crew cab models have enormous amounts of room in the back. Problem is you'll be creeping towards the 40K mark, but depending on the incentives they have on now could be much lower.

EDIT: Yeah just checked out Ford's website, didn't realize the Ecoboost option was only $1250! That's awesome

Just thought of this, would you guys be opposed to getting a used Jeep Grand Cherokee? I'm a huge fan of the latest generation. There are a couple GC's at Renfrew Chrysler I see with ~30K km on each right around that $30K mark. Definitely worthwhile taking a look IMO.

clemmy26
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
You should make the decision. Unless she is your wife who cares what she thinks.

benyl
08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by clemmy26
You should make the decision. Unless she is your wife who cares what she thinks.

Who is paying for it and who is going to drive it most of the time?

hurrdurr
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Haven't you guys been together for less than a year?

She must have some fuckin Talons if you're letting her dictate a vehicular purchase, or some bomb ass pussy.

I say buy something that can't fit a car seat and let her ride the bus.

Just sayin...

spikerS
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
It's not as shallow as if she is my wife or not, that is just a matter of time, or who will drive it the most ect, it is a family decision for our family unit such as it is.

As for me making the decision solo, I still have to live with her, and I still like bouncy fun fun time, so I have to keep her happy. :rofl:

I look at who is making these kind of comments and just do the good ol' :facepalm:

baygirl
08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by clemmy26

Originally posted by benyl

Who is paying for it and who is going to drive it most of the time?
I bring in just as much $$$ a month as he does, so this is not a case of him paying for something for me to drive. (This is a vehicle for day-to-day-use for our family.) As to who will be driving more, that depends on who grabs the keys first...

JRSC00LUDE
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Ahhhh, don't bother responding to idiocy. You know who is just teasing you guys and who is being a dick, ignore!

baygirl
08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I think we are going to have a look at the RAV4 this weekend. As for 4 door trucks, any beyonders use them as a primary family vehicle? Strange question but what do your wives think of them in terms of practicality?

JRSC00LUDE
08-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I think we are going to have a look at the RAV4 this weekend. As for 4 door trucks, any beyonders use them as a primary family vehicle? Strange question but what do your wives think of them in terms of practicality?

My boss has a four door Ford, it isn't practical for family other than short jaunts around town. They had a CX9 which also just didn't cut it after 6 months of living with it so now they got a VW minvan.

spikerS
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't see myself buying a minivan. there is just no fun factor in it, and I would have to shave a cul-de-sac into my hair.

The Rav4 just seems so plain jane to me, and I have a huge problem with exposed axles. I would much rather them be in a traditional housing...

Masked Bandit
08-30-2012, 06:41 PM

We've had a crew cab truck as one of the family vehicles for the past five years. While I'm the one that drives it day to day the wife does like taking it from time to time. She drives a CR-V most of the time which is fantastic for kids and stuff around town. It turns on a dime and you can fit two six foot men in the back seat. With that said its no good for towing which is why I didn't mention it in my earlier posts.

As much as I love having a full sized crew cab, not quad cab, truck there is no way around the fact that trucks are expensive to own. Gas is more, tires are more, hell, washing it is more. It's not something to buy if budget is a big concern.

jsn
08-30-2012, 06:44 PM

I don't recommend a Rav4. My dad has one that I've borrowed on occasion. It has a very bumpy/stiff ride compared to other small SUV's I've ridden in. I know he's not very happy with it either. But I guess you can try it out for yourself and see how you find it.

Anomaly
08-30-2012, 08:28 PM

My girlfriend drives my ford super crew as a daily in the summer. Even with the back up sensors, parking is painful. Alot of women seem to have problem parking trucks. ;)

rob the knob
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
many guys have problems parking trucks, that is why you see them park across 3 spots and then be posted on beyond instead of parking proper
Originally posted by Anomaly

My girlfriend drives my ford super crew as a daily in the summer. Even with the back up sensors, parking is painful. Alot of women seem to have problem parking trucks. ;)

hampstor
08-30-2012, 10:29 PM

WTF. This is the stupidest idea i've ever heard. Using a crew cab truck as a family vehicle??

You should pm my wife here and ask her what she thinks. :angel:

ZeroGravity
08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
The Rav4 just seems so plain jane to me

Despite the fact that we have one, yes, I'll have to agree to this. See them everywhere.

We picked it over other similar priced "cute" SUV because that was the only one that will fit my dog crate "longitudinally" without having to fold down the rear seats. Mazda 5 fit as well, but we wanted more height clearance for deep snow (our other main car is an Echo hatch), and at least "available" 4WD. Plus, the available power (without too much penalty in fuel consumption) in the V6 also swayed my vote. The other car that fits my requirements / wants was the volvo XC70... which is just too expensive.

Someone suggested the Journey. I drove one for a week as a rental. Lots of bells & whistles compared to our Rav4 sport. Suspension is a bit softer, the power / peppy-ness wasn't as much as the Rav4 V6 (rental was not the R/T Journey), but seems to consume more fuel. Now that we have a baby, sometimes I wished that we should have gone for the Limited which has the softer suspension when we hit some bad roads / construction. Journey can seat more people (3rd row seating), but because of that the cargo loading floor seems a bit higher. But I'm only 5'6.

Complaints / Negatives about the Rav4 I've heard:
- rear cargo door swings the wrong way (hinge on passenger side), making curb side loading "impossible". Most cars in the same segment, cargo door swings up
- rear cargo door too heavy (because has full size spare on door, base and limited have steel wheel, sport has alloy)
- hard to modulate the gas pedal / accelator to get a smooth accelation with the V6
- bland interior
- paint, easy to chip (at least for the ones produced in Japan. Ones produced in Canada uses a different paint process, supposedly similar to the ones used for the Lexus rx350)

CapnCrunch
08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I'd look for something a year old. When my wife was looking, we found a 1 year old fully loaded RDX for a hair over $30,000. Good deals are out there.

Tomaz
08-31-2012, 09:27 AM
The new Ford Escape is catching my eye. the only issue I foresee is the lack of power. I don't know how big your tent trailer is, but any smaller "urban" SUV is going to have issues.

My brother just picked up a Honda Pilot, and it seems to be treating him well. It hauls 2 kids, wife, dog, gear, larger tent trailer with no issues.

Nissan Xterra might be worth peeking at. Might still be begging for more power in the near future.

spikerS
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Went and checked out the Ford F-150 today.

Gotta say I was impressed. Ride quality was amazing, great braking, fantastic acceleration. Feels like sports car performance in a truck (you know what I mean). Truck we drove in was a 2012 Ford Ecoboost F-150, quad cab 4x4, but had the short short box.

Gotta say, the ride was amazing, loved the performance. The back seat was absolutely cavernous! SO MUCH ROOM! Try as the girls might in the back seat, they could not even kick the back of the front seats! Road noise was almost non existent. Gotta say that I am really impressed by this truck.

Started talking numbers with the sales guy, who was probably the most amazing sales guy I have ever dealt with, and got pricing on it. Worked out a deal with him for $28,992.

I think I have a front runner...

msommers
08-31-2012, 03:47 PM
:eek: That's a great price!

Just a bump, try a Jeep Grand Cherokee it'll surprise you. If you're looking at towing anything, a CRV, RAV4, Rogue etc will not cut it, but I think you know that.

Masked Bandit
08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Went and checked out the Ford F-150 today.

Gotta say I was impressed. Ride quality was amazing, great braking, fantastic acceleration. Feels like sports car performance in a truck (you know what I mean). Truck we drove in was a 2012 Ford Ecoboost F-150, quad cab 4x4, but had the short short box.

Gotta say, the ride was amazing, loved the performance. The back seat was absolutely cavernous! SO MUCH ROOM! Try as the girls might in the back seat, they could not even kick the back of the front seats! Road noise was almost non existent. Gotta say that I am really impressed by this truck.

Started talking numbers with the sales guy, who was probably the most amazing sales guy I have ever dealt with, and got pricing on it. Worked out a deal with him for $28,992.

And I didn't care for the way the F150 drove. Great engine with that Ecoboost but I found the ride to be almost unsettled. The steering felt over-boosted & loosey-goosey to me. I found the Ram to feel much more solid & connected to the road.

To each his own though.

msommers
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM

And I didn't care for the way the F150 drove. Great engine with that Ecoboost but I found the ride to be almost unsettled. The steering felt over-boosted &amp; loosey-goosey to me.

Had the exact same thought when I was truck shopping a year ago. I know a couple guys with them though and love em.

black300
08-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Spikers if you don't mind me asking, what kind of package is it and what options are including, I am asking because I was looking at F-150's as well. Is that the price after employee pricing?

I beleive employee pricing is over today.

spikerS
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by black300

Spikers if you don't mind me asking, what kind of package is it and what options are including, I am asking because I was looking at F-150's as well. Is that the price after employee pricing?

I beleive employee pricing is over today.

I am not sure on what all options it had but it had the following:

Sync setup
had the bench front seat, but the fold down middle. was surprised how comfy it was
fog lights
power windows and locks
remote start
auto with tow mode
air tilt cruise
cloth seats
back window did not open
had the tow package
nerf step bars
did not have the reverse sensing or any kind of in dash entertainment

Those are the things I remember off the top of my head.

and yes, that was with the employee pricing, which is supposed to be pretty similar to my employee discount I get on it through work. Also included was a $3k rebate for some hail damage, but the funny thing was, I had to look REALLY hard to find it. Honestly, if you were not looking for it, you would never notice it.

black300
08-31-2012, 04:21 PM
What dealership was this at?

spikerS
08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
was at Marlbrough Ford. If you want to go there, Ask for a guy named Bruce Palin. Dude was seriously awesome, no pressure, no BS, guy straight up knew his shit. Told him what we wanted, and that we were doing comparisons, and such, and he was awesome. First time I have ever said that about a salesman. I hope that was not against forum rules, just my opinion.

baygirl
08-31-2012, 04:49 PM

And I didn't care for the way the F150 drove. Great engine with that Ecoboost but I found the ride to be almost unsettled. The steering felt over-boosted &amp; loosey-goosey to me. I found the Ram to feel much more solid &amp; connected to the road.

To each his own though.

Originally posted by msommers

Had the exact same thought when I was truck shopping a year ago. I know a couple guys with them though and love em.
I have no idea how the truck handles since someone refused to let me drive, however I did like the space of the interior(esp how far away the girls were lol), and the overall feel/ride. I do want to test drive the Ram before we make a final decision though. Now I just need to wrap my head around having a truck as a family vehicle...

black300
08-31-2012, 04:59 PM

I have no idea how the truck handles since someone refused to let me drive, however I did like the space of the interior(esp how far away the girls were lol), and the overall feel/ride. I do want to test drive the Ram before we make a final decision though. Now I just need to wrap my head around having a truck as a family vehicle...

I drive a 2011/2012 Dodge Ram at work for 2 weeks all the time (rental). That being said, the performanceis amazing for a pickup (Hemi) however it does guzzle gas, it's good on the highway as you can manager 13-14 Liters per 100km that is if you are taking it easy and not punching it. When I drive in the city normally it averages about 15-17 Liters per 100km if not more.

However I like the interior, the ESP works awesome doesn't let the truck slide or even spin it wheels. However if you do get the one with larger wheels they tend to shake a lot due to all the mud/dirt going into wheels not a big deal but its a pain too have all that cleaned up.

6 speed transmission which is very smooth but I have had a truck as a rental before and it was sluggish in shifting with only ~30,000 kms.

Audio system is great, rear power sliding window, steering wheel audio controls, doesn't have the dual temperature. A lot of room in the back, Ford has more from as it looks like. (SLT model)

CMW403
08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Are you two married already? Jesus, didn't this relationship begin quite recently via beyond.ca and you are already buying a car together?

You so smart......?

spikerS
08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
Are you two married already? Jesus, didn't this relationship begin quite recently via beyond.ca and you are already buying a car together?

You so smart......?

We live our lives 1/4 of a mile at a time. for the past 10 seconds or less, we are truly free.

What else would you like to know about our personal lives? I am glad we can garner such attention that so many people have to live vicariously through us.

hurrdurr
09-01-2012, 01:51 AM
You guys throw your relationship in our face at every turn, how could we not garnish some sort of opinion of it?

If anything spikers, you seem to be the rulebook on what NOT to do in a relationship.

So thank you for helping out the clueless pups around here

spikerS
09-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
You guys throw your relationship in our face at every turn, how could we not garnish some sort of opinion of it?

If anything spikers, you seem to be the rulebook on what NOT to do in a relationship.

So thank you for helping out the clueless pups around here

God your username really does reflect your personality doesn't it?

I didn't start this thread asking for relationship advice, or if i needed anyone's permission to buy a new vehicle. Our situation as it stands now requires us to look for a new vehicle, and as such, we asked for opinions on vehicles, not our relationship.

Apparently this appears to be a tough thing to grasp for some of the more degenerate people on beyond. But then again all they keyboard warriors in basements in Calgary never miss a chance to derail a thread.

If you all want to discuss our relationship, go nuts, just start a new thread about it. I could use the ego boost that you are all that interested in our personal lives

brucebanner
09-01-2012, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't even feed those comments, like someone said earlier in the thread. As for what vehicle(s) to consider. My father has a new Dodge 1500 Hemi crew cab and the only issue he has had with it were front brakes I believe. I can't remember if it was sticky calipers or warping rotors either way it was a warranted. He's pretty happy with the truck and I think it has 60kms on it now?

I also really like the new F150s as well. I have way more time in a dodge but the room in those Fords is pretty amazing. I'm 6'5 or so and sit very comfortably in the back of one.

Personally, I would think the Dodges look better but I would go with the Ford when it came to decision time.

tirebob
09-01-2012, 10:07 AM

If you all want to discuss our relationship, go nuts, just start a new thread about it. I could use the EGO BOOST that you are all that interested in our personal lives

You mean ECO BOOST don't you? lol!

Weapon_R
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Awesome price for the ecoboost. Probably hands down the best vehicle suggestion in this thread. The new F150s are very nice. For baygirl, my sister has an F150 platinum as her daily (w/2 kids) and her only complaint is maneuvering it in parking spaces and backing up. Make sure you are comfortable with that and you'll be fine.

78si
09-01-2012, 01:01 PM
If you like the Rav4 v6, we might be selling ours. Its a white 2010 sport without the rear tire.

spikerS
09-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Honestly, after the F-150, I don't think we are considering the small SUVs now. The only real downfall I can pin on the truck is going to be the fuel economy, but I have done a bit of research and people with the eco boost are claiming 24-27mpg on average. While not stellar, not unreasonable.

The cabin room is just too valuable and not to mention it will satisfy all the other desires as well.

ddduke
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Strange question but what do your wives think of them in terms of practicality?

She's hates driving every truck that I've ever owned, especially when it comes to parking, switching lanes, etc.

I'm driving a lifted f350 right now and she won't even touch it.

baygirl
09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

She's hates driving every truck that I've ever owned, especially when it comes to parking, switching lanes, etc.

I'm driving a lifted f350 right now and she won't even touch it.
I went on a road trip recently with a friend in a F250, and did the majority of driving because she was uncomfortable with it. I however, loved it lol....wasn't a huge fan of backing up in tight parking lots, but nothing I couldn't handle. (I do prefer the short box over the long though.) I just can't seem to wrap my head around going to get groceries etc if that makes any sense??? (Yes, I'm well aware I am thinking like a girl :rofl: )

spikerS
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Alright, so it seems it is down to 2 vehicles.

Option 1
Ford F-150
EcoBoost
moderate load out
Crew Cab
$28,288 All in.
4.99% finance rate

Option 2:
Nissan Titan
Fairly similar load out
Crew Cab again.
$29,500 All in
5.9% Finance rate

decisions, decisions, decisions...

colinxx235
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
^

Any differences in options at all between the two?

But I'd go with Ford for a few reasons:
Looks
Slightly Cheaper
Better Financing Rate

benyl
09-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Titan is a little long in the tooth, but the F150 should be getting replaced in 2014.

spikerS
09-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

Any differences in options at all between the two?

But I'd go with Ford for a few reasons:
Looks
Slightly Cheaper
Better Financing Rate

couple of differences, but nothing too noteworthy.

Ford has the SYNC in it, and the bench front seat
Titan has the vertically sliding rear window and captain chairs.

Those are about the only real differences.

FraserB
09-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Ford

**Insert standard Spikers/Baygirl comment here**

benyl
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
SYNC sucks.

corsvette
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Titan is about the most dated truck out there with no solid plans from Nissan to replace it with a new model (off again on again plans for either a redesign or a truck off the RAM platform). This makes the Ford the easy choice for me, they are nice trucks.

Masked Bandit
09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I've read that the Titan gets bad gas mileage, even for a truck. I'm the last person to worry about it but the reviews seem to suggest the Titan is the worst on the market. I also know a guy that sold Nissan up until about a year ago and said they had a lot of warranty problems with Titans. F150 would be my vote on the two.

black300
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Don't get a Nissan Titan I know they are tempting because of the crazy rebates Nissan has to offer, but that is only because that truck has been looking the same for almost a decade.

I had a 2006 Nissan Titan SL top model, sunroof, leather, crew cab, power sliding rear window etc. The ride was good, but holy did that thing guzzle gas. I had it for about 3 months before I decided to get rid of it. You might get 5km per liter in the city. Has a lot of power and towing capacity but only worth getting if your hauling a lot of weight and driving on highway.

Ford ecoboost is my vote as well.

colinxx235
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
^

whats wrong with 5km/l

that isn't too bad?

Masked Bandit
09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

whats wrong with 5km/l

that isn't too bad?

That works out to 20 L / 100 KM. Most half tons get about 15 L / 100 KM in town. Ford says the Ecoboost will do better than that even but don't believe the hype.

benyl
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
ecoboost won't do better. It just has more power / torque.

colinxx235
09-11-2012, 02:45 PM

That works out to 20 L / 100 KM. Most half tons get about 15 L / 100 KM in town. Ford says the Ecoboost will do better than that even but don't believe the hype.

Yah my SUV ran 18.5-22 range a lot. So I guess I just assumed most trucks would be near a 17-18 range.

They always claim certain numbers. Always bullshit haha

black300
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes the Nissan claims 19.5L/100Km but I am sure it does much worse.

CLiVE
09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a Ridgeline as a family vehicle. If I was looking for a new truck, I would consider the F150 also but really prefer the size of the ridgeline.

Despite the criticism of the ridgeline not being a 'real truck' it does everything I need it to do and is super reliable. Yes, not the best looking truck, but if you can get past that a good vehicle. They are fairly good value as a used vehicle - new the pricing is not very competitive.

The Ridgeline is a good city truck, tows everything I need it to (tent trailer), easier to maneuver than an F150 and fits in my garage, great handling, top notch reliability, great winter handling, and the in bed truck makes it easy to live with as a family vehicle. - great for strollers, shopping bags, and general crap.

Anyways, another option for you if you are concerned at all with the everyday annoyances of driving a truck (parking, etc.)

msommers
09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by black300
Yes the Nissan claims 19.5L/100Km but I am sure it does much worse.

Actually?! God damn that's terrible LOL

Just do the right thing, get a 2010/11 4runner :D

baygirl
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
So we have decided to go with F-150. Now we have to decide on color....I like the oxford white, he likes the race red. Can a mod add a poll for color please:rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Red!

spikerS
09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Red!

+1

TomcoPDR
09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Oxford White, then Chris can add his double red racing stripes

CMW403
09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I still can't believe two users of a car enthusiasts forum actually developed a relationship via pm.

FraserB
09-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
Call me old fashioned, but I still can't believe two users of a car enthusiasts forum actually developed a relationship via pm.

Didn't it start with Baygirl wanting Chris to use his truck to help her move something?

spikerS
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Oxford White, then Chris can add his double red racing SPEEDstripes

Fixed, but still NO. LOL

Sugarphreak
09-21-2012, 06:43 AM