PDA

View Full Version : Need some light on these two vehicals

amear
08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Ok guys, im in the market for buying a new car and i have narrowed it down to two cars im considering. I need someone to shed some light on which cars better for the buck and/or which is better over all. Here's the links to the cars im going to be looking at and purchasing one in the next 2 days.

Also i will be daily driving the car.

2002 E39 M5

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-BMW-M5-Quick-Sale-Low-Price-W0QQAdIdZ400475451

2003 Infiniti G35 supercharged

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-77-000-kms-Infiniti-G35-coupe-2003-SuperCharged-W0QQAdIdZ408066025

Thanks, Amear

spikerS
08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
less kms on the G35, go with that one. and you can probably get it down in price as there are a billion G35s out there.

Thing you have to worry about with both cars is they are both going to be bagged on. You don't buy either car without having a lead foot and being a little rough with them. The good thing about the G35 will be less bagged on.

Graham_A_M
08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
After owning a BMW, and dealing with the maintenance on one, I can say you're better off with the G35 by a long shot. The BMW looks like it was owned by a fairly young guy who probably rode it quite hard, so you should be budgeting for some ridonkulous repair bills just in case, maybe not now, but down the road if you do go that route. When the clutch went on my old Z4, Calgary BMW wanted $2800 all in to replace it. Thats kind of a bitch to budget for when you really aren't expecting that to happen, leave alone at 110k km's. :nut: And no I never drove that car even remotely hard.

Just in terms of maintenance, and cost of ownership, I'd get that G35 in a heartbeat.
Still a damn nice looking car (minus the gas cap).

amear
08-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by spikers
less kms on the G35, go with that one. and you can probably get it down in price as there are a billion G35s out there.

Thing you have to worry about with both cars is they are both going to be bagged on. You don't buy either car without having a lead foot and being a little rough with them. The good thing about the G35 will be less bagged on.

yeah i can work a bit on the price of the g35 but not to sure on the bmw. Thanks for your opinion. ill look more into the g35. ive talked to the owner of the g35 and he said the tune has been done at vex performance and has about 25k on the supercharger. what do you think i should get him down to ? 14 grand?

amear
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
After owning a BMW, and dealing with the maintenance on one, I can say you're better off with the G35 by a long shot. The BMW looks like it was owned by a fairly young guy who probably rode it quite hard, so you should be budgeting for some ridonkulous repair bills just in case, maybe not now, but down the road if you do go that route. When the clutch went on my old Z4, Calgary BMW wanted $2800 all in to replace it. Thats kind of a bitch to budget for when you really aren't expecting that to happen, leave alone at 110k km's. :nut: And no I never drove that car even remotely hard.

Just in terms of maintenance, and cost of ownership, I'd get that G35 in a heartbeat.
Still a damn nice looking car (minus the gas cap).

yeah im worried about the " venos " bmw m5 owners talk about and that being 4k+ to fix. im going to look more into the g35 and yeah if i get it, gas cap is going to be replaced or ill just paint the carbon fiber the same as the body color. thanks for the info! what should i get the g35 to come down to price wise?

Graham_A_M
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
^ You mean the Vanos? Yeah its.... not cheap. Leave alone on a $15k car. That for me is the deal killer right there. My old Bimmer left such a sour taste in my mouth, I'll never own another german car, likely ever. The maintenance & repair bills were just unworldly from what im used to. :nut:

Check Kijiji, to see what similar G35's are going for. But keep in mind the one you want has all those add-ons such as Rims (etc etc). So that has to be taken into consideration. $14k isn't a bad offer, and not so much at all on a '03. Besides, its not an insulting low ball offer. Worst case scenario, he'll ask you to meet him part way on the price, which you can take from there. :dunno:

amear
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ You mean the Vanos? Yeah its.... not cheap. Leave alone on a $15k car. That for me is the deal killer right there. My old Bimmer left such a sour taste in my mouth, I'll never own another german car, likely ever. The maintenance & repair bills were just unworldly from what im used to. :nut:

Check Kijiji, to see what similar G35's are going for. But keep in mind the one you want has all those add-ons such as Rims (etc etc). So that has to be taken into consideration. $14k isn't a bad offer, and not so much at all on a '03. Besides, its not an insulting low ball offer. Worst case scenario, he'll ask you to meet him part way on the price, which you can take from there. :dunno:
yeah vanos lol. yeah Ive heard about the price you pay for maintenance on a German car and its starting to turn me away from a older German car.
yeah about the g35 Ive looked around and i think about 14-15k is a perfect offer as im not ridiculously low balling him. but hes got a stage 2 vortech kit on it and its putting him down to about 380whp. so cant really argue on the price and also hes got new tires.
im gonna go see the g35 and leave the m5 as im seriously not looking at spending more money on top. but thanks for the quick info! appreciate it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Just so you know that M5 was what I would call "abused" at a local auto x event not too long ago, it needs new rear tires for sure after that id say.

amear
08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Just so you know that M5 was what I would call "abused" at a local auto x event not too long ago, it needs new rear tires for sure after that id say.

Wow! Ok than the m5 is off the list! And the owner sai it's never been abused! Or tracked!:bullshit: :whipped:

Hallowed_point
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by amear

Wow! Ok than the m5 is off the list! And the owner sai it's never been abused! Or tracked!:bullshit: :whipped:

Whenever someone says in a kijiji ad "never been raced, launched, abused, tracked" It's about a 101% guarantee that is has been. Why would someone put all this $$ into suspension mods, turbo kits, wide tires etc just to stare at them? :dunno: :dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
03/04 G35's are crap, ask any Nissan/Infiniti tech.

They have the highest rate of electronic failure of the model years. Radio, seats, windows, door locks, injectors, coils. All stupid expensive and high rates of failures on the first years of the G.

M5's are far worse, a check engine light usually costs 1000$ to fix and they are almost always on.

4 out of 5 e39 m5's has its check engine light on lol.

That said, the e39m5 is my favorite BMW.

My vote? Lexus IS300.

revelations
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
^ :werd:

Check the timing belt, but other than that they are VERY good cars.

I was inches away from owing one a few years back but the deal fell through.

amear
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Whenever someone says in a kijiji ad "never been raced, launched, abused, tracked" It's about a 101% guarantee that is has been. Why would someone put all this $$ into suspension mods, turbo kits, wide tires etc just to stare at them? :dunno: :dunno:

no Ive talked to the g35 owner and i have a couple buddy's in Edmonton that have 350z's and they have never seen the g35 on the track/auto x/strip. so im taking the guys words on the g35 not being driven hard. but on the other hand the M5, that just does it for me since hes got upgraded suspension and other parts, puts it out it was done for a purpose. so the m5 is off the list. im looking for into the g35.

amear
08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
03/04 G35's are crap, ask any Nissan/Infiniti tech.

They have the highest rate of electronic failure of the model years. Radio, seats, windows, door locks, injectors, coils. All stupid expensive and high rates of failures on the first years of the G.

M5's are far worse, a check engine light usually costs 1000$ to fix and they are almost always on.

4 out of 5 e39 m5's has its check engine light on lol.

That said, the e39m5 is my favorite BMW.

My vote? Lexus IS300.
Ive heard the 03 g35 having radio problems but nothing else. ill look into those.

m5 is already off the list lol.

im not to big of a fan of the Lexus unless its a standard and 02+ but the speed does it for me. my prelude was faster!!

amear
08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
^ :werd:

Check the timing belt, but other than that they are VERY good cars.

I was inches away from owing one a few years back but the deal fell through.

are you talking about the m5 or Lexus?

revelations
08-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Lexus

msixty
08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
The m5 owner doesn't what he's talking about, the e34 m5 is the best m5 ever made. :thumbsup: