PDA

View Full Version : Dry Steaks

sexualbanana
08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
My aunt dropped by and gave me a pack of a couple steaks (strip loin). I just cooked one and noticed they are extremely dry.

Is there anything I can do to put a little more flavour and moisture in them?

spikerS
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
High heat to sear them, ALWAYS! Doing this will help to seal in the juices. If that fails, do a marinade. Get some vinigar, some olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. put it through a blender or something, stick it in a container with your steaks for a few hours.

if all else fails for steaks, get an marinade injector, and inject some oil and cider vinigar right into the steaks, and maybe even water it down a bit. This is a last resort though as searing it at high heat will probably do it for you.

The_Rural_Juror
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
chop it up and put it into a bowl of instant noodles.

lilmira
08-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Return it to your aunt.

know1edge
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by spikers
High heat to sear them, ALWAYS! Doing this will help to seal in the juices.

Myth

D'z Nutz
08-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
chop it up and put it into a bowl of instant noodles.

This is probably what I'd do or make some kind of stew haha

buh_buh
08-30-2012, 11:53 PM
marinate

cancer man
08-31-2012, 04:11 AM
Soak in V8 or Clamato juice for at least for 4 hours.

nonofyobiz
08-31-2012, 04:44 AM
don't cook the shit out of it

Tik-Tok
08-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

Myth

Your myth is a myth.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/cookingmethods/a/sealinjuices1.htm

davidI
08-31-2012, 05:18 AM
Irish Stew or Guinnes Pie :drool:

sputnik
08-31-2012, 07:52 AM
How exactly are the striploins dry?

I always dry my steaks before I put them on the grill. Wet steaks don't sear as well.

I also grill my steaks to medium rare at a high heat with them starting at room temp.

If you are grilling your steaks to well done, they will ALWAYS be dry. If you want moisture you might as well cover them with ketchup of BBQ sauce since you already wrecked them.

flipstah
08-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Rare steaks that have been sitting in room temp will give you juicy steaks, even the lean ones.

ercchry
08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
when you say dry, were they dry aged? real deep red when rare?

leave them on the counter for an hour with sea salt on them

get the bbq HOT

depending on the thickness 2-3min/side

when you flip them toss a piece on butter on it (garlic butter for extra points)

eat more rare than normal, they dont need as much cooking

cdnsir
08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

Myth

What are you talking about? High heat, cook it fast, let it rest before serving. It's like the steak law.

To OP - If it is still dry after that (as in too lean) try cooking it in butter or even bacon wrap the edges.

know1edge
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Your myth is a myth.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/cookingmethods/a/sealinjuices1.htm

That article is retarded. 3 pages of nothing and the only argument made is that weight loss MIGHT come from fat content. The entire 3rd page the author is trying to take some sort of jab and say because the seared steak tastes better, he's right. Anyways, I'm not a scientific chef so I can't prove anything but this paragraph from the article can apply to itself

Ironically (though not, perhaps, surprisingly), they've bought into this supposed debunking with the same blind credulity they attribute to those on the other side of the argument: They've simply heard or read that searing doesn't seal in juices, found the argument to be compelling, and then just filed it away under "things I've decided to believe."

JRSC00LUDE
08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Searing does nothing to seal meat.

Tik-Tok
08-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Searing does nothing to seal meat.

Well, it cooks it. I don't think I'd want to eat raw seal meat.

bignerd
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
when you say dry, were they dry aged? real deep red when rare?

leave them on the counter for an hour with sea salt on them

get the bbq HOT

depending on the thickness 2-3min/side

when you flip them toss a piece on butter on it (garlic butter for extra points)

eat more rare than normal, they dont need as much cooking

Doesn't letting them sit with salt on them actually draw the moisture from the steak OUT and make it more dry?

Amysicle
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Doesn't letting them sit with salt on them actually draw the moisture from the steak OUT and make it more dry?
It kind of does but the salt mixes with the moisture and draws back into the meat, enhancing flavours and tenderizing protein.

This blog summarizes the process pretty well and references the Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen.
http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

C_Dave45
09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't cook 'em 'well done'.

cancer man
09-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Irish Stew or Guinnes Pie :drool:

That's one thing abut the Irish chop up a good steak and mix it with filler and put it into a pie,(might as well use Dr. Ballards)