PDA

View Full Version : This is why 80's music rules.

Seth1968
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TddFnTB_7IM

Let's see...original, profound.....

C_Dave45
08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Love it. Every clip brings back vivid memories. Just starting out married life. hahaha
Back when you were lucky if you saw half a dozen music videos a week. There was "Friday night videos" and "Good rockin tonight" and that was it.

masoncgy
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
My parents watched both of those shows every weekend. Taped them to have tunes later on. I was raised on 80s top 40 music. Haha right on!

masoncgy
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Oops double post.

D'z Nutz
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
80's music is awesome, that's why they're always remaking it.

I made an 80's playlist for my iPod. Played it the whole way driving back from Spokane last year and it only repeated 30 minutes before we got home. And I *know* I'm missing a lot of good stuff on there.

Vagabond142
08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
80's music is awesome for many things. The birth of true pop (back when pop was good!), the birth of electronica out of the ashes of disco (there was a disco inferno, you know ;) ), and the development out of Led Zep and others into the many styles of metal ballad, heavy metal, hair metal, hair rock, etc.

A few examples:

Metal
geHLdg_VNww
(Side note for Maidenheads.... notice how Steve Harris looks EXACTLY THE SAME as he does today XD (well, maybe a few more wrinkles))

Metal ballad:
Qq4j1LtCdww

Heavy Metal:
KUXSTY9AW-s
(for those wondering, this man, Ronnie James Dio, is credited with being the first to bring forth the "heavy metal" sound, and is widely regarded as the single best voice that has ever graced metal. That is NOT a recording at 36 seconds. That's him singing live O_O. He also is the guy that made \m/ into the sign for metal, which all us metalheads still thrust skywards at concerts. Just wish he wasn't dead :cry: )

Hair rock:
lDK9QqIzhwk
(Still such an awesome song today....)

My playlist of JUST hair metal, hair rock, Iron Maiden, and heavy metal from pre-1995 on my iPhone is probably about 6 hours worth of music XD

ZEDGE
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Good shit. So many memories with these songs. :thumbsup:

kaput
09-01-2012, 12:03 AM

msommers
09-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Very nice!

Seth1968
09-01-2012, 05:26 PM
VB,

You're spot on. 80's music is incredibly profound and unique.

I find that most current rock/pop is regurgitated shit from the 90's, "I hate life" music.

I heard a line that described music following the 80's, and it was something like, "You're listening to the Default Theory of a Dead Man that wants their Nickle Back". How apt.

Anyway,

We'll know for the first time If we're evil or divine

...DIO

flipstah
09-01-2012, 06:25 PM
80s was the peak of great music with the 70s being the catalyst of this greatness.

The 90s is great but not as great so the downward trend started.

Hallowed_point
09-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I was born in '85 and I recognized 99% of those songs. ..Definitely a great time for music!! :thumbsup: Pop music was so damn catchy back then

Kloubek
09-01-2012, 08:46 PM
There is a LOT of shitty music on the radio today. I was driving with my wife a couple of nights ago, and I couldn't find a single decent song on any station; and I was willing to listen to anything... even if it was outside genres I actually like.

80's music certainly does bring back memories - but I truly think the music was of far better quality back then.

Vagabond142
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the reality of the matter is that back in the 80's, it was pure talent that got you to the top. Michael Jackson had, literally, the voice of pop. Dio roared himself to stardom. Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Def Leopard, Alice Cooper, they all had the talent (and the hair).

These days, you could take someone as vocally bad as me, plop me in a studio, and make me sound like a star. To be honest, I am finding more catchy, original, and listenable music on YouTube than on any radio station, made by people that have no aspirations of super stardom... they just want to make, and share, music, and that, in a sentence, is what I fell the 80's music scene was about. Great music for the love of music.

There were, of course, "corporate bands" in the 80's... New Kids on the Block, for one. Then there was the steamrolling disaster known as Jefferson Starship, which changed band members and names so many times there isn't really a known chronology of just who got fed up with who and left XD

And, of course, there were some super classics from the 80's that no matter what genre you like, you listen to and like... for example:

AyggY_R3jU8

aCca5mPMp9A

Oh, and talking about Jefferson Starship, they made a COUPLE of good songs, but this one is excellent because of the pure irony of it. It's a song as a complaint against how corporate music was becoming... when JS were themselves managed to oblivion by the "Corporate" mentality:

nsdj9NRzqC4

(And for the record, back as a kid... I loved Jefferson Starship XD... they were played all the time on AM 1060 when it was a pop-rock station XD)

And, who could forget that the 80's had some of the best pop hits... and one of the most memorable one hit wonders that ever existed. Anyone born in the 80's and that watched TV with a certain Listerine commercial knows what I'm on about. For the rest of you...

tKx5uT8px8U

And the actual song:
_r0n9Dv6XnY

finboy
09-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Revisionist history :dunno:

WhippWhapp
09-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Prince!

Kritafo
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
i am a huge 80's fan. My kids both at Calaway and they play lots of 80's music. Their peers always laugh cause they know all the music and all the words and I must admit there have been some decent remakes. I still enjoy the radio but all ipod music is almost all late 70's and 80's music.

Graham_A_M
09-02-2012, 06:21 PM
IVp3uqYZZQ

EDIT: WTF? I cant get it to embed no matter what (???) anyway this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IVp3uqYZZQ

Same with that "Obsession" song (as in "you're my obsession"), but I forget who plays that.

"Take on me" is another really good one.

kertejud2
09-02-2012, 06:27 PM
If we take the best 10 minutes of 90s minutes people will think it's pretty damn good as well.

googe
09-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Haha yeah the 80s wasn't special, it was just the generation you remember. The generation before you would say the same thing about the 70s.

fbOROabz3Zk

v02WFh_Kdl0

Phl0xed
09-03-2012, 03:10 PM
89' baby myself, but I love these oldies. I definitely recognize all of them and know lyrics for most of them. They're timeless classics for the most part. Some of these songs I had forgotten all about, glad to see them surface again! :)

Would love to see some of the "80's playlists" you guys have set up.