PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Green lawn care

TimG
09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
has anyone here had any experience with Dr. Green lawn care?

I'm looking for someone to set my lawn up this fall and take care of it for next year, but i haven't heard anything about these guys.

Weapon_R
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I've used them. Not happy with their product or service. They hired a bunch of kids to do the spring cleaning and ruined my lawn. They've since agreed to do a bunch of work to repair it but this is the last year I'll use them.

corsvette
09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Had them for the last 2yrs. I'm happy with their service, price was the best I could find.

Seth1968
09-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Any non-doctor business that starts with "doctor" is a POS.

With that being said, most "real" doctors don't actually give a fuck about that thing growing on your asshole.

InRich
09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I used them this year... I have the greenest and one of the most healthy lawns on my street, but I also paid something like 400 bucks. I dont think I'd be using them next year.

TimG
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
so seems like a 50-50 split?

1andonly
09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Used them for the first time. No complaints so far. I've yet to see any improvements on my lawn though but then again, it's too early to tell.

Graham_A_M
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I've used them. Not happy with their product or service. They hired a bunch of kids to do the spring cleaning and ruined my lawn. They've since agreed to do a bunch of work to repair it but this is the last year I'll use them. most companies do, as there is pretty much no money to be made in any form of landscaping, short of the construction aspect.

So most companies counter-act that by hiring snot-nosed kids that will work for nothing.
There is something like 650 landscape companies in Calgary alone, its a very cut-throat business, since anybody with a truck, a weed-trimmer and a lawn mower can do it.

A couple companies I'd avoid would be
-Explosive landscaping (absolute clowns work for them, of which are horribly trained)
- Decade 90. (Shit company that mis-treats their employees regularly. Not particularly cheap to use either)

bigbadboss101
09-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I used Green Drop this year. They have kids come by and do the work as well. My friend used a different vendor, Weedman or something. His lawn looked horrible even after the applications. My lawn, as well as my neighbour's don't look great either. Start of summer we had lot of rain and then it got dry in a hurry. People who had the greenest lawn on our street are the people with underground sprinklers.

I think most of the companies do a good job. Whether it's work $200-400 depending on the packages vs DYI is arguable.

TimG
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, you can spend 10k on landscaping, but if you don't water it will die.

I'm mostly looking for a herbicide trement. I tried the DIY stuff from the big box stores and it did nothing.

I'm hopefully looking for a fall treatment so next spring I can fertilize and overseed.

Mibz
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Are you sure the stuff you bought was supposed to work on the weeds you have? I didn't take care of quack grass this spring so I've been stuck with it all summer, but DIY herbicide took care of everything else.

black_2.5RS
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I use Dr. Green. I like that they you can book request appointments online and see all of your history with their web app. They come out as much as you want to apply herbicide and it seems to work pretty well. Kills crab grass which is a real pain in the ass to deal with.

My lawn does look better than my neighbours but I would say it's not significantly better (ie: my grass is more green but it might be because we also have underwater sprinklers). Also, his is full of weeds and i'm in relatively weed free.

I also had them come do some additional seeding on my property to cover up some bare spots and it appears they seed using a seed sprayer that shoots freakin' everywhere. Now i've got grass growing in places I don't want and i've i'm having some troubles getting them to fess up it's their mistake and fix it.

TimG
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Are you sure the stuff you bought was supposed to work on the weeds you have? I didn't take care of quack grass this spring so I've been stuck with it all summer, but DIY herbicide took care of everything else.

yeah, it was one of those iron-based herbicides for dandilions and other broad leaf weeds.

SilverGS
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Used them for one year a couple years ago. Not happy at all.

1. The package they gave me included appointments for some experts to come out and evaluate my lawn and give me advice. Asked the kids if they do evening and weekend appointments he said of course, I should have known. When I called several times to book the appointment I never got confirmation someone would show up that they would call me. After several attempts to book an appointment one day I come home to a note on my door that they don't do appointments outside of M-F 9-5. No call to let me know they would be there that day. All they did was leave a sheet on lawn care that looked like it was printed off the net saying basically water your lawn... umm thanks.

2. Asked them several times if they would spray the top part of my lot where there is no sod but tons of weeds. They said sure no problem. They never did. I called multiple times to get them to redo it as per their policy but never had them come out again to do the extra free applications when asked. Had to pull the weeds manually.

3. Checked application when I came home one day. Wife was home said they were in and out in less than 5 minutes. They sprayed so fast that there was barely any fertilizer at all. Called to have them do it again. Never came out.

4. Called to cancel at the end of the year due to aformentioned items. Next year come home to a bill for the new years first application. They AUTO Renew you without being asked and apparently don't have record of my cancellation. Convenient. Had to call separate billing area to cancel since customer service couldn't do it.

5. Got call to renew. When told of terrible service they "sincerely" apologized. Told me they would give me a great deal to make up for it. Deal from manager was more expensive than what I paid the first year since they gave me a 20% discount for all my problems after a bunch of calls. Said he couldn't do any better. So I said no thanks. Been getting 2-3 calls from them every year to come back even after telling them numerous times never to call me again.

Compared to other years there was a few less weeds but I still had a bunch so there product may work but they don't put enough of it. Well at least not for me. My lawn was not anymore green than any other year. The only thing they never failed to do was ensure I had the bill in the door.

So no I would never recommend them to anyone ever.

Lex350
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I used Green Drop this year. They have kids come by and do the work as well. My friend used a different vendor, Weedman or something. His lawn looked horrible even after the applications. My lawn, as well as my neighbour's don't look great either. Start of summer we had lot of rain and then it got dry in a hurry. People who had the greenest lawn on our street are the people with underground sprinklers.

I think most of the companies do a good job. Whether it's work $200-400 depending on the packages vs DYI is arguable.

I've used Weedman for the last 2 years and have been very happy with the service. The product seems no different than when I used to get Greendrop only a cheaper price. The key to anything with the lawn is to make sure it gets enough water. I have under ground sprinklers that normally come on every 2nd day (not so much this year). This water schedule with the treatments resulted in not one of those yellow bastards this year.