PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice!

Superdooper
09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

Suppose you have a Masters in Finance and worked as a commercial advisor straight out of school doing strategy and business case formulation, business development and economic evaluations for environment projects like wind power, energy efficiency, biofuels etc. for the past 2 years in a large E&P company.

What would be the next best step to take in terms of careers and education?

What kind of positions should one be looking for with this background and experience of 2 years?

Would appreciate any advice.

Dumbass17
09-04-2012, 05:11 AM
wow, i barely got past the first line, that sounds booooring

ExtraSlow
09-04-2012, 06:05 AM
If you worked for a large E&P company, keep working for one. If the one you worked at doesn't want you for some reason, find another one.

Best business in the world.

davidI
09-04-2012, 07:58 AM
What do you want to do? What are your goals?

Recommendations could be anything from mowing greens at a golf course to energy marketing depending on your answers...

XylathaneGTR
09-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Your user name really suits you.

chibwack
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd stay with the company, or maybe switch to another large upstream, but just try to switch into a different role somewhere? Generally speaking if you don't know where to go you just need to switch tracks, so to speak.

Graham_A_M
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Perhaps post what your aspirations are, and what you really plan on doing in 5 or 10 years from now. Its hard for us to point you in the right direction would knowing any of that.

Super_Geo
09-22-2012, 07:46 PM
- What's your undergrad?
- Did you do your masters right out of school and now have 2 years of work experience, or had you worked for two years and now just finished your masters?

Sounds like you're building a good foundation for a career in BD and can just continue moving up the ladder. 2 years might not be enough experience to leverage yet if you're looking to get into a different field altogether... maybe at 3-4yrs, but 2 might be a bit early.

If you have the right connections you may be able to get an entry level gig in private equity.

Originally posted by Dumbass17

Take it easy on the guy, not everyone can have a job as exciting as being a drafter!