PDA

View Full Version : insurance claim

rdy2xlr8
09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't know if this is the right section to post this.... but anyways.

My wife was in a small fender bender and the front bumper of our car is smashed in. I am going to make an insurance claim to fix my vehicle but I would like to fix it my self becauase I can do it alot cheaper then a autobody shop fixing it. has anyone else done there own repairs with a insurance claim? do most insurance companies allow this?

thanks

mike

Squishy
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Why would you make a claim if you're going to fix it yourself? Do one or the other. If you go through insurance, it doesn't matter what the cost of the damage is, your rates will go up the same amount, regardless.

Kloubek
09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
It doesn't work that way. If you go through insurance (which, as Squishy mentioned, means your rates are going to increase) then it will be done professionally.

If you think you can fix it (or get it looking better enough to live with) I'd do so. Higher rates amounts to a ton of cash over the years.

Weapon_R
09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
You can request a cash buyout at 75% or 80% of the value of the body shop estimate and use the cash to fix the bumper yourself. Not sure if it works the same way when you're at fault though.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
If you request a cash payout, i think you aren't eligible for comprehensive or collision coverage anymore since they classify that as "unrepaired" damage.

On some vehicles that's a good deal, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into.

guessboi
09-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
Why would you make a claim if you're going to fix it yourself? Do one or the other. If you go through insurance, it doesn't matter what the cost of the damage is, your rates will go up the same amount, regardless.

Originally posted by Kloubek
It doesn't work that way. If you go through insurance (which, as Squishy mentioned, means your rates are going to increase) then it will be done professionally.

If you think you can fix it (or get it looking better enough to live with) I'd do so. Higher rates amounts to a ton of cash over the years.

+1. If she is at fault, most likely her insurance rating will be affected for 6 years if you go through insurance.

DEATH2000
09-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Find out if your policy has accident forgiveness for the first accident as i know some offer it.

As for insurance rates, i believe its only 3-5 years your dinged. My wife was rear ended in a parking lot (badly) and they said it was 50/50 (which i was pissed of at) and jacked her rates. After one year they dropped a bit. Its been three year and in a couple months they will drop again. Still not back to her original rates, but getting their.