PDA

View Full Version : Shipping car from Toronto to Calgary?

turbotrip
09-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I know there are a few old threads on this, but wanted to know people's recent experiences with shipping companies and what company you would suggest as the best one these days. We've used Searail in the past but it seems that is not a good company to use anymore, and Hansen's LHF seems to be the best recommended?
Also if anybody has shipped recently how much was it from toronto to calgary? Driving the car over is not an option.

thanks

Weapon_R
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Might want to check with the railways directly first. Last I heard it was about $900 to ship a car from Toronto to Calgary and significantly less if you know a car dealer who will let you use their account.

DEATH2000
09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
A guy I met through work moved here from Peterborough, and he paid $600 to ship his car out here. Ill try to find out who he used. It was shipped by rail and he picked it up at the rail yard.

CanmoreOrLess
09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Rail rates are a deal if these numbers are correct. Driving, fuel, wear and tear, hotels, boredom all add up to too expensive. Next time I move across country I am railing it.

vtec4life
09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I just shipped a car last week from Toronto to Calgary. using Hansens without insurance is $950 ($500 deductible), with insurance it is $1150 BUT you have guaranteed delivery dates and you can ship tires inside the vehicle. They told me it would take 12 days but it got here in 6! Left on a Tuesday arrived the following Monday. Great service, and yes worth it not driving the car all the way here.

blitz
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Used Hansens and it was a great experience as well.

Cody D
09-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I shipped a car in November with Hansens and it arrived fine but the women that I had to deal with in the local office were all useless cows.

spiceboy
01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Bumping This thread. I am planning to ship a car from Toronto as well. Just wondering what OP ended up using.
Another question: anyone has experience with door to door service? Fees? Worth it?

tangj
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
How well did they treat your car when transporting it?
Is it better to transport via railway rather than a vehicle transport carrier (open transport)?
Im gonna be moving soon and was contemplating whether i should drive and avoid any scratches/dents that might occur during the transport.

turbotrip
01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
I ended up going with Livingston just because the dealer I used had an account with them and it ended up costing $950 (with $0 deductible) through his discount.

When I got quotes myself, Hansens quoted $1170 with $0 deductible insurance, and Livingston quoted $1270 for the same thing. It was an extra $100 to deliver to your house with both companies. Hansens was alway very easy to get a hold of for quotes or questions, while Livingston took a lot of tries before even speaking to anyone, and took a day to return calls usually. Other than that the car arrived in Calgary and luckily I was tracking it independently because nobody even called me to let me know that it was ready to pick up. A day later I called them to check the status and they said that it had been ready for pickup since yesterday.

It arrived with no damage/issues and no additional km's added to the car. It came by train to Edmonton and on a truck from there, and took about 9 days.

If you are paying regular price and want an easy transaction and good customer service I would go with Hansens. Plus they were the cheaper initial quote.