PDA

View Full Version : Learning a New Language - Spanish

l/l/rX
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
after recently coming back from Spain I decided I really want to learn how to speak spanish. I was wondering what the best way to go about doing this would be. Use the Rosetta Stone program or any other program out there or go to a class after work for a couple days a week?

Using it on a day to day basis to practice will be no problem because a lot of my co workers are of some sort of spanish decent.

Anyone have any experience with a language program that can give me a bit of insight?

Thanks!

Mibz
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I've used both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur CDs. I failed both just because I'm too damn lazy to keep it up. Personally, I need a classroom. That said, Rosetta Stone was going really well before I gave up, haha.

CanmoreOrLess
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
My wife uses Rosetta Stone (computer) and Michel Thomas (walking and driving as they are .mp3) for Spanish:

http://www.michelthomas.com

She also has a private lesson once a week. I'd do the same as the results are solid, I'd also add classroom work as it adds some fun to learning a language and the classes have to be filled with hot girls (my German class not so much). Maybe MR or UofC if I was doing it all.

se7en
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
in for updates on this as well.

Heading to Mex when it gets cold and I'd like to be able to get around a little better than last time.

l/l/rX
09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
My wife uses Rosetta Stone (computer) and Michel Thomas (walking and driving as they are .mp3) for Spanish:

http://www.michelthomas.com

She also has a private lesson once a week. I'd do the same as the results are solid, I'd also add classroom work as it adds some fun to learning a language and the classes have to be filled with hot girls (my German class not so much). Maybe MR or UofC if I was doing it all.

That's a lot of money she's putting into the language, Rosetta Stone is on sale now but it's regular price $700, michel thomas ain't cheap either and private lessons I'd assume aren't that cheap as well.

Afrodeziak
09-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I've taken levels 1-3 through MRU as continuing ed. night classes.

All were really good as far as learning went and the prof's were usually post-secondary, 1st tongue type teachers.

Rosetta stone is good for vocab, but I wouldn't say it gives a very solid foundation.

davidI
09-04-2012, 12:35 AM
My plan is to go spend a few weeks in Nicaragua in December and hopefully hammer the fundamentals into me so I can just work on growing vocab from there.

I've tried classes, books, audio tapes etc. but I really suck at picking up languages. I think I need to be immersed.

Plus, the hot Spanish women will keep me motivated.

At the end of the day, I think everyone learns differently so you need to think what works for you (books, classes, ad hoc practice) and try to find a suitable medium from there.

maxomilll
09-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm taking a night class at mount royal, then in Feb I'm gonna spend around 6 months in Central America. Hopefully that will give me some foundation. I might look into the Pimsleur CDs as well.

Graham_A_M
09-04-2012, 05:06 AM
I've downloaded all the Rosetta Stone programs as Torrents. So I didn't pay a dime. I have Italian, German, Japanese and a bunch of others on my computer. Spanish is a pretty popular language so you should be able to find all the levels fairly easily if you look hard enough. Look on www.isohunt.com.

Also, the Calgary public library is another really good resource. I found a fair share of good material there. Some of it is pure shit, but you can always take that back and keep renting the good programs.

davidI
09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by maxomilll
in Feb I'm gonna spend around 6 months in Central America.

:thumbsup: :poosie: :poosie: :D :poosie: :poosie: :thumbsup:

georgemagana
09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
There is tons to do in Central America and life is decently cheap but just keep in mind that it is not the safest place! Costa Rica and El Salvador have lots of volcanoes and great surfing spots :poosie:

bigbadboss101
09-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Definitely good to learn. Live in person might be best way but various courses are good too. I was in Guatemala 2 years ago to help drill a water well for the people and last year I was in Honduras to help build a shack. Would be nice if I knew more than 10 words.

bituerbo
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I started dating a Mexican. No joke.

samo147
09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
http://duolingo.com/

its free
it helps translate the web

I'm not sure how effective it is.

I was trying it to learn a bit of german but got busy with other stuff and lost motivation.

Graham_A_M
09-04-2012, 04:06 PM
^ Alta vista offers this "babelfish" as well, just google it. It does much the same thing. You can translate to and from a good variety of languages.
Eventually, if you can view Beyond in Spanish, that would be a great start.
:thumbsup:

CanmoreOrLess
09-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

That's a lot of money she's putting into the language, Rosetta Stone is on sale now but it's regular price $700, michel thomas ain't cheap either and private lessons I'd assume aren't that cheap as well.

Rosetta and MT were both obtained from a little Swedish website by the bay, cost zero. Private lessons are only $20 for 90 minutes, she has a Mexican university graduate as her teacher.

Graham_A_M
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
^ $20 for 90 minutes? wow. Unless she's visiting the teacher, (unlike a tutor that comes to you) I dont know how the hell the teacher would put food on her plate with those kind of rates. :nut:

l/l/rX
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Well I think I'll start off by searching for Rosetta Stone via torrent. I also have a couple apps on my phone for basic conversational stuff. Ya and $20 for 90 min is a steal of a deal. Friend rate perhaps?

LollerBrader
09-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by davidI
My plan is to go spend a few weeks in Nicaragua in December and hopefully hammer the fundamentals into me so I can just work on growing vocab from there.

I've tried classes, books, audio tapes etc. but I really suck at picking up languages. I think I need to be immersed.

Plus, the hot Spanish women will keep me motivated.

Originally posted by bituerbo
I started dating a Mexican. No joke.

Originally posted by maxomilll
I'm taking a night class at mount royal, then in Feb I'm gonna spend around 6 months in Central America. Hopefully that will give me some foundation. I might look into the Pimsleur CDs as well.

Do all of the above, and you're on the right road. It's incredibly hard to learn a new language as you get older, and has to become a passion - And a multi-front effort.

Chinook college also offers spanish classes at lunch hour DT. Beats the hell out of web surfing.

Rosetta stone, classroom, audio tapes, spanish girl, travel, and spanish comic books (Asterix, etc).... and persistence.

It takes it all.