PDA

View Full Version : Running outside

chibwack
09-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I've just started running again and am trying to stick to outdoors (better workout than gym/treadmill). So I'm curious, how late in the year do you typically run outside for? What do you wear when you get into colder months like oct-dec?
I know as soon as I convince myself it's too cold to run I'll stop for the season, so I'd like to minimize the chances of me pussying out early.

TYMSMNY
09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Run all year round except in major snowstorms / rain / thunderstorms. It all depends if you run hot or cold.

As it gets colder, you'll want to put on extra layers. remember that once you get warmed up, it'll be about +10 degrees. So +5 outside = feels like +15

Sept-Oct - Tshirt, arm warmer, shorts, socks, shoes, and maybe a beanie for running at night.

Oct-Nov - Base layer + tshirt, arm warmers, shorts, knee warmers, socks, shoes, and a beanie for running.

Works in reverse for Jan - April.

edit: shouldve said feels like +15

cet
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
A couple of years ago my cut-off was -20ish. There were a couple of times I went out when it was -21 or -22. I'd typically wear 3 layers on the top (under shirt, long sleeved T, Sweat shirt) and 2 layers on the bottom (Compression shorts or long tight fitting pants and Fleece lined running pants). I have running mits and a running hat and long socks. It was a bit cold starting out but once I warmed up it was fine. I tend not to go past about -10 to -15 now.

98type_r
09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
The coldest I've run is a few times when it was about -30 with windchill. I ran with one pair of thick wool socks, tights under loose fitting running pants, base layer top, fleece top, and then a light shell to keep out the wind. For parts of if I had to keep the jacket open because it was getting too warm. This was in the middle of marathon training, so I had little option for those long run days and I wasn't going to do 90 minutes on a treadmill.

bigbadboss101
09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
How about runners? In winter you put on your gortex Merrill instead?

Khyron
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I run year round, but will use the dreadmill downstairs if it's really miserable - like a blizzard or 4 feet of snow that hasn't been cleared. Not wise to risk an injury. My feet never seem to get cold even in runners (with good socks). Used to go to Westside sometimes since they have a good indoor track but we moved far away.

sheik_yerbouti
09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
My buddies and I make sure we run on the coldest day of the year. Nothing too crazy; <5km. The only truly specialized piece of equipment for those really cold days (sub -30) are a pair of underwear with a wind-proof liner to protect your junk. They sell them at MEC, and they do wonders.

GoChris
09-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I HATE the treadmill. So I run year round, I actually do more running in Jan/Feb than the summer as I start marathon training in Jan for a spring run.

Just don't wear cotton of course, only wicking materials. As it gets colder I'll wear tights of varying thicknesses depending on the temp and throw some shorts over top to protect the boys from the wind chill. Don't wear a non breathable jacket, such as one that is very water proof. You'll get too cold if you don't release the moisture, you don't want to get too wet when it's very cold out.

I like the winter running because you usually have enough on to stay warm and can easily peel off if you get hot. No such option in the summer when it's +28 already.

chibwack
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
So it sounds like I need to go drop some money at MEC/running room then. What kind of shoes do you wear in the colder (-15 and below) weather? I've got nike free runners, which I really doubt would do much for my toes in anything below say -10. And what do you do when your lungs start burning from that cold air, or does that go away with practice?

98type_r
09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I've never run in specialized winter shoes, my regular Asics/new Balance runners with a thick pair of wool (defeet woolie boolie) socks has gotten me through all of my runs. Some people will stud their shoes for traction but I've never gone that route.