PDA

View Full Version : Signal Boosters

msommers
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
In my new place and the cell reception for Telus is horrible. Want to get a signal booster and hoping to be able to mount an antenna to the window and have something inside broadcasting over a large area where I can walk around the apartment instead of staying beside the booster. Does something like this exist?

swak
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by msommers
In my new place and the cell reception for Telus is horrible. Want to get a signal booster and hoping to be able to mount an antenna to the window and have something inside broadcasting over a large area where I can walk around the apartment instead of staying beside the booster. Does something like this exist?

*Subscribed

I have the same problem where i moved... SUCHHHH a piss off.
I know you can get Wifi boosters.. Im kinda doubting 3/4G boosters though

Unknown303
09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
This would be awesome.

EDIT 1:

And Rogers booster.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/850-1900MHz-GSM-CDMA-3G-Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Repeater-Mobile-Amplifier-/300774703668?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item460791c234

Edit 2:

And if you are looking for frequencies or just want to know where the towers are near you check out this map;

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Alterac
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Wilson, and SureCall both make booster kits for this purpose.

We use them all the time for our Trailers in nowhereville, ab.

You will need an outside antennea, you cannot use through glass in the home, because your home windows are double pane, and those through glass car ones only work with single pane glass.

Basically, Outside Antenna, Cable, Amplifier, Cable, Inside Antennae.

Now, there are a ton of options out there. It all depends on how much gain you need, and what type of layout your house has.

You can get Ceiling Dome antennae's, Wall Panel Ant's, or just omni ones.

The issue you may find is that your inside antenna has to be far away from your outside one. (15ft+)

Some Wilson Stuff here: http://www.bluegearwireless.ca/

Really, in an ideal house with signal problems, you would get the external antennae, amplifier, then split the signal to multiple interior yagi (directional) antennae's, or ceiling mount domes.

msommers
09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Poked around online and actually called Wilson Electronics to see what their opinion was.

I found a solution for the car because I wanna stream music. I wanted something non-permanent that could broadcast throughout the whole car and wasn't plugged in or in a cradle. He suggested the 801212 as the other mobile option uses a USB and the amp isn't quite as powerful.

For the apartment, he said straight up that unless I have access to the roof, he couldn't' recommend anything (nice to have honesty). The glass mounted ones don't work well he said and the roof really needs to be an option for their products to work. He said the car one might work for the apartment but the radius is a max 3ft so you're stuck to one room. At least I wouldn't have to sit on the top of the couch to get closer to the window to maintain a whopping 1 bar lol.

Alterac
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Basically, you need to drill a hole to the exterior of your house, (Or go through the space between your window, and the frame (if applicable, or whatever other Hole you can find to poke a wire through), then notch the casing that goes arround your window to allow for the cable to come in.

Then its just onto how to get everything nice inside.

If you are in an apartment, really, your kinda SOL with making it look pretty unless you want to do some drywall work.

Drop some drywall, run cables, and mount ceiling dome antennae. Reboard/tape/paint.

Not usually a fun job.

Not to mention the gear is fairly expensive.

Ext Ant
Amplifier
Int Dome Ant x 2 (or 3)
2 Way Spliter (or 2, or 3-way splitter)
Cable

Looking $1000-1500 new for that.

msommers
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Ouch! Yeah maybe I'll just say fuck it and get a home phone

dr_jared88
09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Why don't you get something like ooma or magic jack? Plug it into your router and you have a cheap voip "landline". Ooma costs $4/moth and Magic jack is $30/year.

msommers
09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Ooma looks nice because I can port my number. Minutes used on the "home phone" don't count towards your cell phone minutes do they? Seems like a decent option.

Edit: Just noticed the Ooma is $180.00 to buy first! Plus $40.00 to potentially port my number. Might have to call Telus and see how that could all work with voicemail.

It's 3G service in general, texting and internet that I need but the phone part helps a lot. Found out the hard way that Telus doesn't allow me to use US-Unblock and might have to use my phone instead to stream stuff from the states which sucks with no reception haha.

Grogador
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I got a Phonetone amp with two antennas for ~$200 offa eBay, works great in the car and out in the field, comes with everything you need, easily go from one marginal bar to 4 or 5 full bars with reliable voice and good data speeds.

Unknown303
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
I got a Phonetone amp with two antennas for ~$200 offa eBay, works great in the car and out in the field, comes with everything you need, easily go from one marginal bar to 4 or 5 full bars with reliable voice and good data speeds.

Like the one I posted a link to?

Grogador
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Like the one I posted a link to?

Yeah just like that one except I got it from http://stores.ebay.ca/RepeaterBay Had it mounted on the truck, then left it on a mountain for two weeks with two home-made 17dBi yagis, solar panel and motorcycle battery, does the trick.

msommers
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Which specific one do you have?

Grogador
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
This exact kit I paid $200 for: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Repeater-850-1900MHz-65dB-High-Gain-Antennas-/150782604280 ...along with various adapters and 859MHz antennas that I've made/collected.

Want to borrow it and try it out at your place?

Unknown303
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
This exact kit I paid $200 for: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Repeater-850-1900MHz-65dB-High-Gain-Antennas-/150782604280 ...along with various adapters and 859MHz antennas that I've made/collected.

Want to borrow it and try it out at your place?

:love: I wouldn't mind testing it out. My place gets real hit and miss reception. and I even live in the SW which is apparently the best part of Calgary. :rofl:

msommers
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah man that'd be awesome if I could try it beforehand. I leave for work in the next couple of days if I can try it before then. PM me your info

Grogador
09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
PM'd x2

Unknown303
09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah man that'd be awesome if I could try it beforehand. I leave for work in the next couple of days if I can try it before then. PM me your info

You can test it out first. And I'll give it a shot after. :thumbsup:

msommers
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Unknown, you still in Bridgeland?

Unknown303
09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Unknown, you still in Bridgeland?

Nope moved to Woodbine.

Alterac
09-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Those Helloway kits, look like the unbranded Cellphone-Mate SureCall CM2000 Kits :D

msommers
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
The booster I was able to borrow from Grogador worked really well. It's pretty big for the space I have but definitely gives a huge boost. The fact I had reception all around was fantastic.

msommers
09-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a shop that sells Wilson products in town?

msommers
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Ended up with a Wilson product. More than I wanted to spend but it's a good size, application fits in the place nicely and actually works for the large room I have it in. Buy here (http://www.bluegearwireless.ca/Wilson-Electronics-801247-p/wsn-801247.htm) it's $100 cheaper than in town.

Forgot to mention that the guy at Blue Gear is amazing in terms of speed of order and customer service. Use these guys if you need Wilson stuff imo.

R-Audi
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
We have a Wilson booster at our condo in BC.. bought it from The Source online... went from ~1 bar to 3-4. I dont remember the model number but it was one of their bigger ones, I think $600 something?

josephpeter1
10-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Indoor TV Aerial Booster- Typically fitted at the TV to boost the Freeview TV signal or better still can be installed close to the aerial for best improvement in reception quality.

Tik-Tok
10-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by josephpeter1
Indoor TV Aerial Booster- Typically fitted at the TV to boost the Freeview TV signal or better still can be installed close to the aerial for best improvement in reception quality.

Very helpful Joseph. You should be a Rogers Customer Service Rep.

jwslam
12-13-2012, 09:03 AM
BUMP

I just won this off howard forums.
I really have no use for it, let alone the fact it doesn't work with my wind phone.

Just seeing if anyone here has any interest...

http://www.maximumsignal.ca/shop/product.php?productid=16234&cat=0&featured=Y