PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Tire - 130th Ave

09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Anyone have any news on this Canadian Tire location opening back up ?

It has been closed all summer with that fire they had.. and I hate driving all the way to shawnessy...

It has been closed for so long now, they must have had a ton of damage.

roopi
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I noticed a sign saying they are now hiring so they must be preparing to open fairly soon.

09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Thats awsome... hopefully it does open up soon.

I would also like to maybe see the interior redesigned, it seemed pretty run down before it burned up.

civic_stylez
09-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Im not far away from that one either and I was wondering the same thing.. they must have lost a fortune with damage and loss of revenue.

M.alex
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Im not far away from that one either and I was wondering the same thing.. they must have lost a fortune with damage and loss of revenue.

business interruption insurance

Masked Bandit
09-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Assuming Canadian Tire chose to stay closed longer to facilitate a renovation the business interruption coverage will only pay for a portion of their total loss.

With that said though, no better time to renovate than when you're going to have to rebuild half your store anyway.

sillysod
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Canadian Tire has a bank, I'm pretty sure they "self-insure" unless there is something I am missing.

lellowrx7
09-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Canadian tire stores have 3 different layouts
A B C
A being the biggest size, aka shawnessy
B mid sized aka Southland
C small, aka mackenzie

There wont be a whole lot they can do to change the layout because they go for corporate image and need to stay the same but you can hope they will put in new flooring, shelving and what not to upgrade their image

BensonTT
09-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I hope they all close! Worst customer service ever! :thumbsdow

BigDannyCool
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
i heard they are shutting a bunch down and changing them into sportchek/atmosphere stores

frozenrice
09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
A B C
C small, aka mackenzie

There wont be a whole lot they can do to change the layout because they go for corporate image and need to stay the same but you can hope they will put in new flooring, shelving and what not to upgrade their image

I was down in Medicine Hat on the long weekend and the CT there had a Mark's INSIDE. Aside from that I think that had to have been the biggest CT I've been in.

nonofyobiz
09-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I live in the area and I had no idea there was a fire LOL
I just thought they were doing reno's. But ya super annoying driving all the way to shawnessey

clemmy26
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
The Mackenzie location is less blue collar than Shawnessy. Hope they open up again soon!

ddduke
09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
A B C
C small, aka mackenzie

I thought this may have been true, but then I remembered that you`re the same guy that said that Deerfoot was so fucked up because of lifted trucks with mud tires. So, I`m gonna assume you`re talking out of your ass again.

Kloubek
09-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
i heard they are shutting a bunch down and changing them into sportchek/atmosphere stores

Working at SC head office, I know we're going to be aggressively expanding in the next couple of years. We've already started, actually.

But I haven't heard anything about taking over existing CT stores, and would be quite surprised if we did take over any more than one or two nation-wide.

With that said, I can't exactly deny your claim - I just don't find it likely. CT stores don't tend to close up shop often, and the markets as a whole for both CT and Chek/Atmo are quite a bit different so there is little chance of the company wanting to remove a CT in favour of a SC.

If it happens, it would be purely in cases where they want a bigger CT or the very rare instance a CT store is performing so poorly they have no choice but to get rid of it. That would leave a building open for SC to take over if it was already assessed one was required there.

In the case of this store in particular, the area is already served by the Southtrail crossing SC just across 130th ave so I doubt it is going anywhere.

09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
it seems to me the southland store is way bigger than the shawnessy store.. sq.ft wise. maybe not sales wise.. but the store seems substantially bigger, better stocked, and a way larger automotive section.

nismodrifter
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 410440
it seems to me the southland store is way bigger than the shawnessy store.. sq.ft wise. maybe not sales wise.. but the store seems substantially bigger, better stocked, and a way larger automotive section.

Definitely. After their renovation the store is huge and they always have shit in stock. Recently went to Shawnessy store to buy a new BBQ, they were out, Southland store had 8. They had to go downstairs to their basement to get it......seems like they have a ton of stuff down there

Masked Bandit
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Definitely. After their renovation the store is huge and they always have shit in stock. Recently went to Shawnessy store to buy a new BBQ, they were out, Southland store had 8. They had to go downstairs to their basement to get it......seems like they have a ton of stuff down there

+1. I live 5 minutes from the Shawnessy store but I often got to Southland because they are more likely to have stock of sale items.

Graham_A_M
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
^ Oddly enough when I was a limo driver many years back, I drove the wife of the owner of that southland CT, only after pulling up to one of nicest mansions I've ever seen in person just out of Calgary a short ways. Those guys....... have money. :nut: Especially for a couple in their late 30's.
:eek:

Really nice genuine people though, I was quite impressed. :thumbsup:
They do tons of volunteer & charity work.

Masked Bandit
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Just heard on the radio that 130th is reopening this weekend.

btimbit
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
That 130th store is too small anyway, I make the extra drive to Southland because they actually have stuff in stock and not everyone that works there is a miserable cunty teenager, like Shawnessy and 130th

Edit; It';s at this point I remember my girlfriends brother works at the 130th store.. Ha. woops.

A790
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
That 130th store is too small anyway, I make the extra drive to Southland because they actually have stuff in stock and not everyone that works there is a miserable cunty teenager, like Shawnessy and 130th

Edit; It';s at this point I remember my girlfriends brother works at the 130th store.. Ha. woops.
He's probably the cunty teenager you're referencing.

I've never had a problem at the 130th location. :)

clemmy26
09-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

It is true - the Shawnessy store needs an overhaul (clean facilities and new staff). I want to know where they find these flunkees who are somehow employeed. Perhaps it is because the Shawnessy crowd are as equally inept.