09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I call 50/50.

Cos
09-04-2012, 06:39 PM

spikerS
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
I call 50/50.

Hummer driver is going to be 100% at fault.

While it is a feel good story, he caused the accident, it doesn't matter what he may have prevented.

The only way he is not going to have an insurance increase is if this gets enough attention from the public and the insurance company decides to write it off as a PR story, but even if they do, they will keep it quiet as they don't want other people attempting the same thing.

Kloubek
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Exactly Spikers. Such a shame, but true.

Good on him for giving up his truck to save some lives.

lilmira
09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Damn it, you guys ruined the joke :( .

Sounds like a good deed but a honk might have worked the same.

syritis
09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
granted the insurance company will be dicks about it. but considering the damage done to the hummer it'll be a stretch to say that the pontiac could have stopped in time. as well as the charge placed on the distracted driver is a plus for the hummer's cause.

syritis
09-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Sounds like a good deed but a honk might have worked the same.

unless youre in calgary in which case the distracted driver will take the other hand off the wheel to give you the finger.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
It's too bad the hummer was honest, it could have been 50/50 if it the story was adjusted.

Hopefully the insurance company does a goodwill deductible wave, but its unlikely because more people will start throwing their cars at others.

racerocco
09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
finally a good use for an H2:rofl:

Sugarphreak
09-04-2012, 10:21 PM

FraserB
09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Shitty that he will probably get blamed by insurance and the other driver will get a slap on the risk. Took some serious balls to put himself in front of the other car though.

If CHC took up a collection to pay his deductible or repairs I'd be down for some cash.

lasimmon
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Doesn't the fact that the driver was charged with dangerous driving negate any responsibility of the hummer?

100% idiots fault.

revelations
09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
It really depends on who the insurance provider for the Hummer is in terms of how they would handle this.

No, you wont start seeing people doing this now ... only about 10% of the population would act in a time of crisis anyway (bystander effect for the other 90%) and maybe 0.00001% of the time it involves a vehicle.

I recall an incident years ago on Vancouver Island where a motorist on a highway observed a driver slumped over the steering wheel of his car while passing him. He went in front of the vehicle and gently brought both vehicles to a stop with his car.

ICBC was going to find him 100% at fault initially, but a public outcry caused them to change their minds to 0%.

revelations
09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
some more info:

Police are calling Darrell Krushelnicki a hero, but will his insurance company?

On Friday, August 31, Krushelnicki, 46, was leaving Bonnie Doon Mall in his Hummer when he says he saw a Pontiac G5 speeding toward four children in a crosswalk. He hit the gas, slamming his SUV into the car, averting disaster.

Pat O'Hara is a claims manager with Millennium Insurance. He says no matter what police say, the Good Samaritan's insurance company will be investigating.

"The basics on it would have to investigate the incident fully," O'Hara explains. "And depending on which party you represented, get their sides of the story. Talk to the witnesses and get their side of the story. Then determine... who would be responsible for the incident."

On the surface, it would seem Krushelnicki is the "at fault" party - police say he rammed the other car. However, O'Hara says, assuming all the details are true, that will likely not be the case.

"But, without all of circumstances, that's hard to determine."

O'Hara adds, personally, he's impressed by Krushelnicki's act of heroism.

Meantime, police have charged 23-year-old John Troy Heitzman with dangerous driving. (scb)

http://www.inews880.com/news/edmonton/story.aspx?ID=1767747

syritis
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
good on them. although this is just the kinda of good publicity and insurance company needs for a relatively small cost.

On behalf of Krushlnicki's insurance company, Intact, the Director of Communications, Rosa Nelson, gave Global Edmonton the following statement:

"At Intact Insurance, we believe that insurance is about people, not things. We appreciate that thanks to Darrell's quick response, 4 children were unharmed last week while crossing a pedestrian crosswalk. Because of these actions, Darrell will not be charged with an at-fault accident and we will also waive his deductible."

Troy Bourassa, the Director AMA claims, agrees and says AMA would likely do the same if this were their client.

Read it on Global News: Global News | 'Hummer hero' won't be facing an insurance hike

http://www.globalnews.ca/hummer+hero+wont+be+facing+an+insurance+hike/6442709130/story.html

CanmoreOrLess
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Good on Darrell Krushelnicki for doing the right thing and an insurance company seeing a public relations moment for what it is worth.

Now if only insurance companies would allow all of us to start crashing into the vehicles being used by those idiots texting and talking. If they do so, I am needing a bigger vehicle and Hummer used vehicle prices are going through the roof.

Xtrema
09-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
If they do so, I am needing a bigger vehicle and Hummer used vehicle prices are going through the roof.

http://www.conquestvehicles.com/gallery/size_comp_web.jpg

That said, if the insurance let him off, i'm sure there will be non-disclosure to be signed.

g-m
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by revelations
It really depends on who the insurance provider for the Hummer is in terms of how they would handle this.

No, you wont start seeing people doing this now ... only about 10% of the population would act in a time of crisis anyway (bystander effect for the other 90%) and maybe 0.00001% of the time it involves a vehicle.

I recall an incident years ago on Vancouver Island where a motorist on a highway observed a driver slumped over the steering wheel of his car while passing him. He went in front of the vehicle and gently brought both vehicles to a stop with his car.

ICBC was going to find him 100% at fault initially, but a public outcry caused them to change their minds to 0%. that was a mom who had a heart attack
http://forum.canucks.com/topic/311409-good-samaritans-save-langley-woman-who-had-heart-attack-while-driving-on-highway/

revelations
09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by g-m
that was a mom who had a heart attack
http://forum.canucks.com/topic/311409-good-samaritans-save-langley-woman-who-had-heart-attack-while-driving-on-highway/

thanks, my specific event happened in the 90's on the Island highway.

Same idea here however, not sure if ICBS was cold and just fined the motorist 100% at fault.

Maybelater
09-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

http://www.conquestvehicles.com/gallery/size_comp_web.jpg

That said, if the insurance let him off, i'm sure there will be non-disclosure to be signed.

yah right

http://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/marauder-500-1.jpg

spikerS
09-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Just heard on the radio on the drive into work this morning.

Intact insurance is waiving his deductible and will not face an insurance hike because of this collision.

:thumbsup:

EPIC! Good on Intact insurance for doing the right thing. Hopefully Masked Bandit sees an increase in business because of this!

Kloubek
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Heard that on the news last night. Was very impressed with that company. I mean, on one hand it could (and probably would) but a PR nightmare not to pay for it. But they certainly wouldn't have had fallout not covering the deductable. That little bit made me truly think they believe in what he did rather than simply covering their own asses.

Super happy to hear that he will be covered. This sort of story being in the media should help people feel confident that if they see someone about to be killed that they can use their vehicles to save lives without fear of being raped with increased insurance premiums.