PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive cruise control vs. Police LIDAR (laser)?

S-FLY
09-04-2012, 10:27 PM
So my car has adaptive cruise control (laser guided cruise) which makes the car maintain a certain distance between me and the next car when the cruise is on and it'll apply the brakes if necessary.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it will affect a cop shooting laser? I read that it uses the same wavelength that LIDAR uses (904nm?). I've seen videos on youtube of radar/laser detectors going off when people pass infiniti's with the laser guided cruise on.

Lastly, once my cruise shut off on the highway and I couldn't turn it back on until I turned the car off. I wonder if it was a cop trying to get a reading on me and his laser interfered with my cruise control?

ddduke
09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by S-FLY

Lastly, once my cruise shut off on the highway and I couldn't turn it back on until I turned the car off. I wonder if it was a cop trying to get a reading on me and his laser interfered with my cruise control?

You may have been driving directly into the sun. Happens to me on a regular basis when I'm going west on Glenmore.

As for your other questions, nooooo idea.

luxor
09-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by S-FLY
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it will affect a cop shooting laser? I read that it uses the same wavelength that LIDAR uses (904nm?). I've seen videos on youtube of radar/laser detectors going off when people pass infiniti's with the laser guided cruise on.

Doubt it. It's not just the wavelength of light that is detected at the receivers, but also the PPS (pulses per seconds) of laser. I assume the PPS from cruise controls are different than those of Lidar guns. Also Lidar guns operate stationary only and laser cruise control is used while in motion so they work in different ways to calculate speed and distance.

Rat Fink
09-05-2012, 07:00 AM

spike98
09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I have no issues with the ACC on my jeep. It also doesn't not interfere with my radar/laser detector. I dont get any reflections or anything crazy like that.

Mine has never disabled itself either.

S-FLY
09-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I was driving in rain at the time so maybe that's why it turned itself off.

94boosted
09-05-2012, 04:50 PM
OP are you sure the adaptive cruise control is laser? I always thought they were radar based :dunno:

As for Radar/Laser detectors picking it up I think that's possible. A few months back I was on Highway 2 and there was some luxo sedan (can't remember Mercedes or Infiniti) behind me and my Passport 9500ix went bananas for the like 15 minutes straight, I can't for the life of me remember what signal it was (ka, laser...).

S-FLY
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I know there are some out there (toyota?) that are radar based. The nissan/infiniti's are laser guided. There's a big laser box in my front grill.

couple videos i saw on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0EVesPJPXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ar_OKdTLcs

clemmy26
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
OP are you sure the adaptive cruise control is laser? I always thought they were radar based :dunno:

As for Radar/Laser detectors picking it up I think that's possible. A few months back I was on Highway 2 and there was some luxo sedan (can't remember Mercedes or Infiniti) behind me and my Passport 9500ix went bananas for the like 15 minutes straight, I can't for the life of me remember what signal it was (ka, laser...).

The newer Audis set the k-band off all the time on my V1.