PDA

View Full Version : mr2 oil pan removal and install

300zxfairlday
09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Ive got a lhd 91 mr2 and am looking for some insight.

The problem- Engine oil leaking from drain plug

So i need to install a new oil pan. Does anyone have or know of somewhere there is a full writeup on how to do this. Is it something i can attempt on my own? I tried looking online and could not really find the information i was looking for or i just suck at searching.

Thanks in advance

Modelexis
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/oilpan/oilpan.html

You can easily attempt it on your own.

Projek01
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
wait, leaking from the drain plug? that usually means you need a new drain plug washer.

Redlyne_mr2
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
It's pretty straight forward, you don't need to remove the B pipe but at least loosen it. Drain the Oil, and start removing the oil pan bolts. Use toyota black sealant to seal up the pan, no gasket. When tightening the bolts back on do it in a criss cross pattern and be careful not to over tighten because they can snap easily. I can't recall the ft/lbs tq figures but tight and snug works lol.

Tik-Tok
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
What hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you have an oil sensor level... REMOVE IT FIRST. It's the piece on the side of the oil pan, with 4 bolts, and an electrical plug. If you don't take it out first, you won't get the pan off without destroying the level, and they ain't cheap.

300zxfairlday
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
ok perfect thanks for all the suggestions!

mr2mike
09-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Oil level sensor: The part in the oil pan is super fragile careful when trying to slide it out.

Speaking from experience, I would try the oil plug washer first.
The pan is a pain to remove, the sealant is stubborn and you'll be in there hacking and cutting away at it to get the pan off. Then it's lots of fun cleaning the block surface of any of the residue. I hope you have some eye protection as you're scraping above you.
Its not impossible, I'm just saying time it takes to change the washer: 10min if you include the oil change.
Time to remove and redo the oil pan: Prob 5 hrs to do it right.

300zxfairlday
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Oil level sensor: The part in the oil pan is super fragile careful when trying to slide it out.

Speaking from experience, I would try the oil plug washer first.
The pan is a pain to remove, the sealant is stubborn and you'll be in there hacking and cutting away at it to get the pan off. Then it's lots of fun cleaning the block surface of any of the residue. I hope you have some eye protection as you're scraping above you.
Its not impossible, I'm just saying time it takes to change the washer: 10min if you include the oil change.
Time to remove and redo the oil pan: Prob 5 hrs to do it right.

Thanks, i attempted it last weekend to get the pan off took me a good hour. cleaning process another hour and about 45 mins to put it back on. The oil return line was probably the hardest to put back on lol.

All in all 4 hours , but like you said a very messy job!

Checked for leaks for a couple days nothing! :clap:

mr2mike
09-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Great to hear.
Congrats.