PDA

View Full Version : Shitty Dealer Experience

davidI
02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
I went to the Toyota dealership on Crowchild and Nose Hill Dr. today and holy hell was I amazed at how much they wanted for parts. I mean...everyone knows parts at dealers cost a lot but I never realized how much Toyota parts cost!!! The shitty thing is that I haven't found any other places that will carry what I need. I wanted the two metal mounting brackets for a deck and they wanted $27 for each side. Then I needed the door switches (courtesy light switches) and once again $27 each. Both of those parts are worth maybe $1 each so there is a nice mark-up there. I also asked about a fan control knob and that was $23!!! :whipped:

BigShow
02-09-2004, 03:52 PM
What can you do though?

davidI
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
What can you do though?

That's the problem :(

I'm going to try and custom make my own deck brackets and hopefully find some similar door pins that I can mount into my door. Now I know why there are so many aftermarket OEM manufacturers!

heavyD
02-09-2004, 04:31 PM
If you have the part numbers you can try and order them from the U.S. U.S. Dealer parts are less than 50% what they charge up here. For small parts you are looking for, you won't get bent over at customs either.

rc2002
02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Go ebay.

I wanted a clock for my Prelude, and the dealer said $400. So I went to ebay and I bought it for $1. $5 after shipping, but still it was an awesome deal.

davidI
02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Go ebay.

I wanted a clock for my Prelude, and the dealer said $400. So I went to ebay and I bought it for $1. $5 after shipping, but still it was an awesome deal.

Yea, that is a great idea for most parts but usually people don't part out things like deck mounting brackets and door pin switches :(

If I wanted an airbag or a fender I could buy a bunch though :D

ninspeed
02-09-2004, 06:12 PM
hows that shitty?? did you even try and get the price down a little?? you can do that at dealerships

hockeybronx
02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey I know what you mean.

I went to Southcentre Fine Cars for a synthetic oil conversion and also asked if they could put a new bolt to hold my exhaust up because it was riding low.

I initially thought they'd do it for free or for a couple of dollars for me, but it costed me 25 BUCKS. $25.00 for a bolt, screw, and washer.

I looked on the report reciept and guess what they said they did:

"Exhaust system inspection/correction/fastening/testing."

All they did was screw in a bolt!

davidI
02-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
hows that shitty?? did you even try and get the price down a little?? you can do that at dealerships

Yes I did try and the guy was an absolute prick about it. That's why I'm bitter. He said it costed so much because it had to be shipped in from Vancouver. The sad thing is that for parts that sell for a total of $30 US from what I've been told he wanted over $100. I might as well have caught a bus to Montana and picked them up for that expense. guns: :guns:

I should mention that I have had some great experiences at other dealerships. With my old Honda Accord I went to Honda West to get the lock replaced because some asshole broke into my car. Anyways, the lock mechanism was a day late arriving so the service/parts manager told me I could have free labour on the installation the next day when it arrived. This was really good because the thieves struck back that night and easily entered in my door with no lock but it was still a nice gesture of their manager!!!

Ajay
02-09-2004, 08:17 PM
You're talking about Charlesglen right? Must be since it's the only Toyota dealership in the NW.

If you think that's bad hear this;

A friend of mine took his 88 Supra Turbo to Charlesglen to get the waterpump replaced (raped him on that as well.....~$600). Anyways out of curiosity he asked how much it would cost to replace the turbo in his car. Dude looked it up and told him the turbo for his car would cost over $1800. That price wasn't for the turbo and labour....JUST the turbo itself.

For $1800 you can find a better turbo than what comes with the 7MGTE. I laughed hard when he told me that...laughed even harder when we thought about people that might have actually replaced their stock turbo with another stock one from a dealership like Charlesglen.

Xtrema
02-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Genuine manufacturer parts is always expensive. You should know that by now.

davidI
02-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
You're talking about Charlesglen right? Must be since it's the only Toyota dealership in the NW.

Yea, I might try another dealership. I'm way out in the S.W. so there are none by me but atleast that one was near the University. Where are some other Toyota Dealerships?

Akagi Redsuns
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
I think all the dealerships pretty much have the same price.

You got Stampede Lexus/Toyota in the NE on 32Ave.
Then Henninger on McLeodTr by Cemetry Hill
Then Canyon Creek Toyota on Canyon Meadows and McLeod Tr S.

Good luck....you will need it to get any cheap Toyota part from the dealer.

davidI
02-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
I think all the dealerships pretty much have the same price.

Usually they will negotiate to some extent. :dunno:

ramminghard
02-09-2004, 10:18 PM
i got my door switches at pick your part for free. Any pins from 4th gen celica will work too.

403Gemini
02-09-2004, 10:35 PM
henninger is REALLY good, i heard stampede is awesome service as well

davidI
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
i got my door switches at pick your part for free. Any pins from 4th gen celica will work too.

Awesome. I asked on a Celica forum if there were other cars I might be able to get them off of but hadn't gotten a reply yet. It's a very common problem with the 5th gens and usually you can just clean the contact points out but one of mine got really fubar'd when I was trying to clean it so I'll try a pick-a-part!

nickyh
02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Price out a car on Access Toyota and then look at some of the add ons - $18 for them to put a black license ring on for you...

I beg your pardon?

Try an autowreckers.....

t3rry
02-10-2004, 10:48 AM
there are a couple late model and even some import specialty wreckers that might have what yer lookin for.

switch
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Yea, I called Charles English yesterday to get a quote on side skirts for my WRX -- $660 plus tax, I laughed at her. I can get them online shipped w/ tax and duty for less than $400.

davidI
02-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by t3rry
there are a couple late model and even some import specialty wreckers that might have what yer lookin for.

Which would you guys suggest?

CalgarySupra
06-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Just order parts from any us dealership way way way way cheaper.