PDA

View Full Version : Shaw and VPN

Street_Soldier
09-07-2012, 11:45 PM
So going back to about a year ago. I had Shaw 20mbps and was connecting to my works VPN with no problem and at a high speed (wired connection).

Fastforward to about 4 months ago. When I VPNed to work the speed has dropped significantly. Nothing has changed my computers were all the same and my internet was the same. When doing an online speed test i was getting about 0.2 - 1.0 mbps (wired connection).

So I call up shaw and upgrade my internet to 50mbps and get a new modem. Same thing as before internet speeds from 0.2 - 1.0 mbps (wired connection).

So when i m NOT VPNed in to anywhere the speed is great and as advertised.

I am VPNing into a couple different clients and everyone of them is slow using my home network.

When connecting with other connections (other wired networks, and even tethering off my phone wirelessly) the speed is fine.

Shaw tells me they cant do anything for me and that VPNing take a lot of bandwidth.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Zhariak
09-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
So going back to about a year ago. I had Shaw 20mbps and was connecting to my works VPN with no problem and at a high speed (wired connection).

Fastforward to about 4 months ago. When I VPNed to work the speed has dropped significantly. Nothing has changed my computers were all the same and my internet was the same. When doing an online speed test i was getting about 0.2 - 1.0 mbps (wired connection).

So I call up shaw and upgrade my internet to 50mbps and get a new modem. Same thing as before internet speeds from 0.2 - 1.0 mbps (wired connection).

So when i m NOT VPNed in to anywhere the speed is great and as advertised.

I am VPNing into a couple different clients and everyone of them is slow using my home network.

When connecting with other connections (other wired networks, and even tethering off my phone wirelessly) the speed is fine.

Shaw tells me they cant do anything for me and that VPNing take a lot of bandwidth.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Can't say I've heard of, or experienced this before...

As far as the VPN speeds, that is very odd... Have you checked to see if you're experiencing any packet loss on the VPN?

A number of things could be affecting this, MTU being an example... If any of the routers on either side are misconfigured or aren't working properly, or your frame size (MTU) settings were changed this could totally affect it...

Try shooting some pings (use the switch to not seperate the packets, and set the packet size whatever it is inside a VPN tunnel, I think it's 1420 or something?)... See if you get any loss...

Also, have you checked to see what kind of condition the VPN servers internet is in? Maybe they are having speed issues?

Mibz
09-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Talk to your business network guys, it's obviously not Shaw.