View Full Version : Migraines after I drink

Cos
09-08-2012, 09:47 AM

ExtraSlow
09-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I'd ask you Doctor. Sounds medical.

max_boost
09-08-2012, 10:13 AM
No more booze for you! That sucks though.

Unknown303
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
You are a fragile person..

P_D
09-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Try skipping grain alcohols and stick to plant or fruit based booze

Maxt
09-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I've noticed over this last year or so that whenever I have more than one beer (or half a beer if it is big) I get a really bad migraine. I can have a couple beer at lunch and by the time 3 or 4 o'clock rolls around I am out of commission. It doesn't seem to matter what I drink but wheat based alcohol makes it worse. I dont think I am celiac because I havent noticed anything else in my diet causing the problems.

I talked to my Dad because he never drinks a lot and I found out it is for the same thing. He partied a ton but in his late 20's early 30's he had the same thing.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I can somehow get away with 1 beer but anything over that kills me. I am dieing this morning and I had two with dinner at Ship last night and then two out at the bar with a friend 5 hours later. It isnt hung over it is for sure a migraine.

:cry:
Thats me to a T as well. I changed brands and found that in general, North American Big Brand beer is evil. I drink a lot of foreign and micro brewery brands now and I don't get the headache or the 2 week hangover anymore if I stick to my safe list.
My favourites are Asahi, Sapporo and others like that, I try to get the real stuff, not the brewed under licence version. Boddingtons is also good, I mix it 50/50 with 7-up. There are a ton of Micro breweries down in Montana making some really good beer. I bought some of the Trout Slayer and Dancing Trout, and its exceptional.
There are a few imports thought that don't sit well with me, Stella Artois, Hieneken and this other German beer I had at Dixons made my head pound.

jdmXSI
09-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I can't drink "draft or tap" beer anymore without having a massive headache the day after that totally incapacitates me. Now I stick to more or less local-ish breweries like Tree brewing, Granvel island, Wild rose and Fernie brewing. Even after having 3-4-6 beers the night before, I will wake up nice and chipper in the morning. It could all be in my head but I think avoiding all the shelf life perservatives really helps.

G/L :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Yeah, I can't drink "draft or tap" beer anymore without having a massive headache the day after that totally incapacitates me.

+1

Draft give me terrible headaches. Even regular beer in cans/bottles can as well, though not nearly as often. I've found myself allergic to many types of alcohol as my hangovers are mostly nasal congestion and headache, rather than nausea or anything else.

Avoiding wheat/barley alcohol seems to all around work for me.

danno
09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
i get migraines, i see flashes for 45 min then a migraine comes for about 3 hours. my solution if it comes at night is to have 2-3 hard drinks then i don't feel the headache.

i'd try vodka or rum.

Grogador
09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Go potato, you poor bastard

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/images/products/1507.jpg

Kloubek
09-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm with ya Cos. Red wine and beer are the two main cuplrits for me. Sometimes I will feel the headache with just one drink, sometimes not at all.

Time to switch to weed if you haven't already... ;)

Cos
09-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Davetronz
09-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Yeah, I can't drink "draft or tap" beer anymore without having a massive headache the day after that totally incapacitates me.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but a single draft beer does this to me too. Doesn't happen whatsoever with bottled or canned beer.

jdmakkord
09-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Sounds like an issue with Sulphites. Try drinking some organic products and see if it improves.

natty54
09-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Sounds like an issue with Sulphites. Try drinking some organic products and see if it improves.

Yupp was gonna say the same thing.

wintonyk
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM

+2 yeah the sulphites or maybe some other preservative.

have you tried drinking high end spirits? I was at a masterclass for gin one time and the guy explained how the specific sugars that are in lower end spirits trigger the headaches. Sorry to be vague, but I notice a huge difference in Smirnoff vs Kettle One in terms of my headaches.

Waldi
09-10-2012, 08:30 AM
yeah, I got similar thing going, love wine and almost everytime I have more than 1 glass I get migrane. I have frequent migranes and they are triggered by weatrher changes ( i.e. chinook are horible in my case) and went through pain medicine clinic where they explan that there are multiple triggers that affect migranes onset, in some cases these will be compounds found in low procentage alcohol etc. I found that if I drink a lots of water in between drink it reduces chances of migrane. Good luck.

XylathaneGTR
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Waldi
pain medicine clinic where they explan that there are multiple triggers that affect migranes onset, in some cases these will be compounds found in low procentage alcohol etc. I found that if I drink a lots of water in between drink it reduces chances of migrane. Good luck.

Yup, exactly this.
I went through the same thing. Nitrates (generally found in processed foods like Deli Meats) are my triggers.

Cos, if you're interested your GP can enroll you into a headache management clinic where you can find out more about your triggers and how to manage them.

JustinMCS
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Sounds like wheat/gluten sensitivity.

Davetronz
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Actually, now that you mention it, I'm usually OK with Mill Street Organic lager...

Kloubek
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Sounds like wheat/gluten sensitivity.

I'm pretty sure it is the sulphites issue. If it was a wheat issue, I'm think all of us complaining about this issue would also have problems with breads, etc.

Tik-Tok
09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

I'm pretty sure it is the sulphites issue. If it was a wheat issue, I'm think all of us complaining about this issue would also have problems with breads, etc.

Not necessarily. I don't have any problems with bread, but I do with wheat/barley alcohol. Sadly enough, I get bigger headaches with quality brews than cheap beer, because cheap stuff uses corn as "filler" :(