PDA

View Full Version : Kijiji buyer tale - DONT DEAL WITH ADDISON GOUGH

revelations
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
So the wife and I have been in the small, used truck market for a few months. I came across one for sale for a reasonable price. I left email and phone messages - no response from seller. I assumed the vehicle was sold.

1 week later, the wife sees the ad and places a call; the seller answers and we book a visit to see the vehicle. After a look/drive we decide to purchase the vehicle for an agreed price - it would be done through his fiancee as the seller would be out of town that week. The seller was in a HURRY to sell the vehicle as well.

On Wednesday, we agree to pickup the vehicle on a Friday. I grab a bank draft and the wife has insurance placed on the vehicle. I performed a 50$ carproof check as well. I also booked day off work to deal with the transaction.

I place calls and send texts and get no response. I stopped by the house during my travels on a few occasions the next 3-4 days but no one came to the door. The truck for sale was still parked outside and I left notes on the door to call me (thinking his fiancee would be able to deal with this).

The following Friday the wife and I are on a trip in BC when Mr. Gough finally returns my call and apologizes for "losing" my phone number.

At this point the wife had taken off insurance and the bank draft was returned - we werent pleased but we were in need of a truck so we agreed to purchase the vehicle on the Monday when we returned from the trip.

Wife gets insurance again on the vehicle but I wasnt able to get the draft in time before we left (was going to do on Monday).

On Sunday night, Mr. Gough texts to inform us that hes decided to NOT sell the truck to us because "his brother needs it for landscaping" and terminated the sale.

Therefore, in my opinion, Mr. ADDISON GOUGH from Calgary is an IDIOT and a CLOWN. Avoid him at all costs.

Coles notes :

- kijiji seller agrees to sell truck
- obtain bank draft, insurance, VIN check (about 75$ total cost) , book day off work
- seller doesent return calls for vehicle p/u on agreed date (left notes on door of house as well)
- we cancel insurance, draft
- seller calls week later and wants to sell vehicle
- arrange to deal with matter in a few days - once we return from BC trip - obtain insurance again
- seller cancels sale

cam_wmh
09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Came in expecting "epic", left disappointed.

revelations
09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
It was epic for us, in terms of sheer stupidity and the amount of time wasted.

I guess it wasnt epic in terms of we found a dead body in the trunk or a bag of coke.

EM1FTW
09-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
+1

Unknown303
09-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I didn't realize we just reply like cunts now to threads....

But seriously that's a shit deal. I hate dealing with people on Kijiji like that. I've had hits on items where the person seems super interested and then drop of the face of the earth. Or contacting people about something I want to purchase and get the run around for days.

clemmy26
09-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the guy has no integrity, but really it could have been worse.

revelations
09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
One can perform due diligence on the item being purchased, but there is no way to check the reliability of the seller (unlike ebay for eg).

I hope this can help someone else from going through the same ordeal. From our interactions I got the distinct impression that Mr. Gough is not a reliable person.

NoMoreG35
09-08-2012, 05:00 PM

+2

dj_rice
09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Is the ad still up?Should post that up so we know which vehicle it is.

TE4MFaint
09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Typical kijiji transaction to be honest.
Its single handedly ruined the car selling/buying market.

Kijho
09-08-2012, 06:02 PM
:whipped: That's garbage man, I hate dealing with people like that.

revelations
09-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Honestly, I deal with dozens of transaction on Kijiji (buy/sell) each year and 99% of the people I deal with in person are great. Thats why this is unusual - and its not like the truck was in the NE, Mr. Gough was in Strathcona.

The ones that never show up, well I cant comment on them since they never did.

The ad has been taken down, but it was a BLACK Ford Ranger, 5spd. 2005 I believe.

WhippWhapp
09-08-2012, 10:28 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/354/321/2b0.png

cam_wmh
09-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I didn't realize we just reply like cunts now to threads....

aw you're adorable.

Tell me the last time you saw a transaction thread titled: "epic".

Originally posted by revelations
It was epic for us, in terms of sheer stupidity and the amount of time wasted.

I guess it wasnt epic in terms of we found a dead body in the trunk or a bag of coke.

* The seller is a flake
* The $75 invested isn't of "epic" proportions.
* Losing $75 to a flaking seller is quite annoying compounded with the time lost & opportunity cost.

That said, we regularly see: stolen car, stolen iphone, hit & run auto, & actual scammer threads. Those have much more severe monetary & health implications, and they aren't titled epic.

Thus, I correlated your descriptor "epic" metrically:
Your day to day verbaatim of the term, "epic" is a much less quantifiable amount than say "unimaginable", or "exorbitant", and can be concluded you much more readily use the term for day to day quantities.

To conclude, either you exaggerated substantially with the "epic" identifier, or the term "epic" is synonymous with "mediocrity" in your vocabulary...

cam_wmh
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM

aw you're adorable.

Tell me the last time you saw a transaction thread titled: "epic".

* The seller is a flake
* The $75 invested isn't of "epic" proportions.
* Losing $75 to a flaking seller is quite annoying compounded with the time lost & opportunity cost.

That said, we regularly see: stolen car, stolen iphone, hit & run auto, & actual scammer threads. Those have much more severe monetary & health implications, and they aren't titled epic.

Thus, I correlated your descriptor "epic" metrically:
Your day to day verbaatim of the term, "epic" is a much less quantifiable amount than say "unimaginable", or "exorbitant", and can be concluded you much more readily use the term for day to day quantities.

To conclude, either you exaggerated substantially with the "epic" identifier, or the term "epic" is synonymous with "mediocrity" in your vocabulary...

So ya, I'm totally a cunt.

revelations
09-08-2012, 11:35 PM
I have modified the thread title so that people can keep their epic correlations intact. :zzz:

And I did mention the cost of taking the day off work to deal with this, which works for me to be around 200$ - while not EPIC perhaps, continues to add to the scale of the situation.

GT4rally
09-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
Typical kijiji transaction to be honest.
Its single handedly ruined the car selling/buying market.

I completely disagree... I've had dozens of transactions on Kijiji (as the buyer and as the seller) and had nothing but great experiences!

That being said, I stay clear of suspect ads when buying (no phone number and/or broken English) and have a pretty good nose for people that are not serious about an item I'm selling (i.e. emails with fragmented text message writing and random low-ball offers -- I usually don't reply to these).

Unknown303
09-09-2012, 07:29 AM

aw you're adorable.

You got that right!

So ya, I'm totally a cunt.

And yes you are.

Maxx Mazda
09-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Shitty deal.

jwslam
09-09-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.facebook.com/addison.gough

Celica4me
09-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Here's another warning....the guy selling this WRX is also a goof. I was trading my bike + cash to him....we agreed on a price and we were going to meet last Sunday to make the transaction (hes in med. hat and was in town that weekend). So, fully expecting to see him Sunday... I get a text at 11:45pm on Saturday night simply saying "got the cash?"....I was like "uhhh yes?"....he's "ok lets meet". I tell him my bike is at my parents place....and Im not going into their house at MIDNIGHT and starting up a loud bike in their driveway. So I said "lets meet Sunday like we had planned"...and he's like "well I'll be in town next weekend instead"....so I've been texting this weekend and no response. Judging by the decals on the car, and all the horribly worded texts I recieved prior.....it's likely a young kid selling it....but still....don't waste youre time.....so for anyone looking for a wrx....stay away from this fellow:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-RHD-W0QQAdIdZ405106936

TE4MFaint
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
^That vehicle had been sold by that seller, and then went up for sale again by the buyer for $5500, and now has sold once again.
But yes it was a younger kid selling it (probably around 18 years old)

DEATH2000
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
^That vehicle had been sold by that seller, and then went up for sale again by the buyer for $5500, and now has sold once again.
But yes it was a younger kid selling it (probably around 18 years old) I would hate to see that happen to a car i owned. But you could probably buy it back for a fair bit cheaper.

G-ZUS
09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
So many losers and time-wasters on kijiji. There was a 99 Accord coupe posted on there. Call the guy and he says its in good shape. Needs brakes and "steering wheel cover". Drive down to his house, SRS light on, airbags popped and drivers airbag is electrical taped back together, passengers airbag crazy-glued back together, body is shit. Guy had a tow truck parked outside and a bunch of cars sitting around with expired plates.

revelations
09-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I had another seller post his truck up..

Go for a visit to find massive hail damage all over the truck and the front main seal has blown. :rolleyes:

(why cant you just mention this in the ad??)

bituerbo
09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
So many losers and time-wasters on kijiji. There was a 99 Accord coupe posted on there. Call the guy and he says its in good shape. Needs brakes and "steering wheel cover". Drive down to his house, SRS light on, airbags popped and drivers airbag is electrical taped back together, passengers airbag crazy-glued back together, body is shit. Guy had a tow truck parked outside and a bunch of cars sitting around with expired plates.

These guys buy up all the cheap cars on Kijiji, do nothing, then flog them for 2x what they paid.

Stricter safety standards, and mandatory interval inspections (such as the UK and Japan) would prevent this kind of shit... and would also open up the used car market for capable enthusiasts like us, that do shit right.

swak
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
bahaha... I may have worked with this guy on a project in school before.

Sounds like a strange question, but what color was his hair? This answer would nail it on the head for me to who it is.

But shittttty deal man, ive been there many times before.. Nature of the beast i guess though.

soccernut
09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I had another seller post his truck up..

Go for a visit to find massive hail damage all over the truck and the front main seal has blown. :rolleyes:

(why cant you just mention this in the ad??)

I usually call them and grill them before I go to see the vehicle.

OP, why not put a deposit down and write up a bill of sale on the spot? I just sold a vehicle like that.

revelations
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Dude had light coloured hair.

I did ask the other seller if there was anything noteworthy about the truck (other than what was in the ad) but he made no mention of hail damage.

swak
09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Ahh. Different guy then.

Dick move! I was gonna stick up for him otherwise

cr0n1c
09-12-2012, 02:18 PM
welcome to kijiji! :(

revelations
09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by swak
Ahh. Different guy then.

Dick move! I was gonna stick up for him otherwise

The funny thing was that he was a nice guy, at least from a 15 minute meeting.

And I understand that phone numbers get lost sometimes - but then to cancel after all that time and money spent made my day.