PDA

View Full Version : Evo X or alternative?

MustangSVT
09-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi all. I'm looking to sell my current car for something else, and I've got a little money to spend. I've seen that Mitsubishi has a deal going on with 0% financing for 3 years, which seems decent. I'm mainly looking at buying a new Evo X GSR through Platinum Mitsu, I got my current car from them, so I can probably try to haggle some sort of deal.

Other cars I've looked at are the Impreza STI (hatchback), and I looked at used BMW 335i's.

Just looking for some suggestions/feedback here, if anyone owns one of these cars and can provide their own experience with them.

I like the Evo X mainly for these reasons:
- good looks
- has room for 4 people
- has room to go skiing/snowboarding
- 4WD for the winter
- turbo could be nice?
- maintenance shouldn't be too expensive?
- seems like a fun car
- stick tranny

This would be my main car that I use for daily commute. I also go skiing and mountain biking often so I need room to put that stuff in the trunk. Also, whatever I finally decide on needs to have manual transmission (stick).

Lastly, if anyone does have an EVO X, I'm looking for advice regarding the packages. It has a handling package, stereo or navigation package, strut bar. What accessories are recommended/must have? Is the navigation system any good at all? I've got a separate Garmin that works great, and an Ipod Touch, so I'd probably want to just plug in the Ipod to the audio system.

heavyD
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I owned a 2008 EVO X MR for a couple of years so I am fairly informed;

- good looks (I agree although looks are subjective)

- has room for 4 people (yep there's actually decent rear seat room for the class)

- has room to go skiing/snowboarding (don't get to excited as you may know the battery and windshield washer fluid reservoir takes up some of the trunk room. This was done to keep weight as close as a 50/50 split as possible)

- 4WD for the winter (paired with winter tires, set the ACD in SNOW and you will be virtually unstoppable. A few years ago there was a December Friday night snow/ice storm that crippled the NW. I was the only car that I could see make it up Shaganappi Trail incline on Nosehill and Edgemont. Everyone else was sliding sideways.)

- turbo could be nice? (it's nice but thirsty on premium grade gasoline.)

- maintenance shouldn't be too expensive? (Since we are talking GSR regular maintenance shouldn't be too bad but oil changes have to be synthetic for warranty and stuff like Brembo brakes are expensive to service and change pads compared to normal cars. The reality is that it's going to cost more to operate than a Civic because it has a big turbo and a sophisticated AWD system.)

- seems like a fun car (very fun car. Performance/handling-wise there's nothing like it in the price range.)

- stick tranny (only 5 speed though which can make for some drone on long highway trips)

I had no real issues with my car and some days I think about getting another ha ha.

MustangSVT
09-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the advice! It's great to hear you enjoyed the car.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I like the Evo, but I had three major qualms with them when I looked at them, only 5 speed was the biggest, then the windshield washer/battery location/trunk space issue, and finally just the general fit and finish didn't feel that great, my money would have went to the STi but after considering that I ended up with a BMW.

msommers
09-12-2012, 10:40 AM
HeavyD covered the Evo pretty well. Just thought I'd add that there are many options that don't require you to use your trunk space for skis and bikes. Hitch kit for bikes or Thule(-style) roof rack system for both.

Additionally, ast time I checked, Mitsubishi had a pretty sick warranty.

Not on your radar but what about an Audi A4 Quattro?

CanmoreOrLess
09-12-2012, 10:51 AM
heavyD: What are you running for winter tires?

ArjayAquino
09-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Hard to go wrong with an EVO, but like Twin_Cam said, a drawback to me would be the 5 speed, you get less mileage than a 6 speed STi. And it seems like you want a decent amount of trunk space so a STi hatch would give you that. Good luck!

KRyn
09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
OP you can't compare an EVO/STI to a 335. I own a 2007 STI and love it for what it is, but often I wish it had more creature comforts. I suggest you think long and hard about what is more important to you before buying a vehicle if you are cross shopping the EVO/STI vs a 335. In the end if I had the funds to purchase a 335 I think I would have done it.

georgemagana
09-12-2012, 11:01 AM
HeavyD covered it pretty good.
-The interior on the evo is nothing to be proud of but if you get the navi IMO it would be better than the STI's. Cant compare to a BMW tho.

-Maintenance is not that bad, most of the money is gonna go into tires. The trunk like already mentioned, is not that good but after taking the spare tire out it isnt as bad. The STI's have also the ringland issue on stock or modded ones so that was a huge factor why I didnt get one.

-The 5 speed is good for the city but it gets a little loud in the highway especially if you have a catback. I dont care about the gas mileage either.

-Traction in the winter is like if you were driving in the middle of the summer.

-The back seats are awesome!

-The handeling package is really good IMO and its the only thing I regret not buying. Just the BBS wheels that come with it are about $2800, then you add the spoiler and 2piece rotors..

-Pretty fun car with tons of aftermarket parts and super easy to make power.

-Like said above, Cant really compare a BMW to the EVO/STI. 2 totally different types of cars. Test drive them all to get a better idea.

-The STI might be a better DD since your have an actual trunk or hatch and a 6 speed if you do highway!

DeleriousZ
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
long and hard

hehehehe.

But seriously, what are you using the car for? Daily? Toy? Ski-mobile?

If you don't mind going off the beaten path a little, check out some Vovlo's as well. The 2.5 T5 is a great little engine, and you can find the cars in a 6 speed awd package. My roommate owns a s40 t5 and it's a nice little car. Headroom in the rear seat is a little lacking though.

Don't forget about the mazdaspeed lineup, the speed6 is 6psd awd as well, pretty heavy though. (Comes stock with a BW k04 turbo too!)

Just saying to take your time and look around at what's out there and then compare it to what you're looking for.

heavyD
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
heavyD: What are you running for winter tires?

Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II tires on my EVO and now Mustang. There isn't a big choice of performance winter tires but I like these because they aren't noisy and get the job done in the snow.

As for the STI I couldn't recommend them because of the fragile engine. Just go to the IWSTI GR-General and Engine forums for yourself and you will find lots of threads regarding engine failures. The ringlands fail stock/modded or babied/driven hard. There's no prevention and you are rolling the dice in that you may get a good one or you may down the road need a new engine as so many have.

MustangSVT
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I will be using this as a daily car. I actually have a bike rack as well, so I guess storing bike in it isn't that big of a deal. I do a lot of ski trips in the winter, so I need to be able to fold down the backseats and store my skis/boots in there.

Right now, I drive a 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and I've never had any problems or difficulties with the activities I do. Because of this, I sort of imagined that I wouldn't have an issue with an Evo, but I also didn't know about this battery trunk thing.

Probably most important to me would be how fun the car is to drive, how good the exhaust note is, that sort of thing. Comfort would be a second thought for me, as long as it has heated seats, ipod compatible stereo and cruise control, that's about all I truly care about. Reliability is also important to me. Basically, I want an "exciting car" that still satisfies my needs of driving 3-4 friends once in a while, or 2 friends for a ski trip, and is great to drive in winter.

I haven't looked at Mazda or Volvo or Audi yet, can't say I'm a fan of how they look, so they don't seem as exciting to me.

I should mention I have not taken a test drive on an STI or Evo yet, but was planning to. I have not heard of this engine issue on the STI, is it widespread?

The main things I've noted so far from comments which I didn't know before:

STI
- has 6 speed, so better on highway mileage and engine note?
- more trunk space (hatchback version)
- reliability issue?

BMW 335
- different kind of car altogether?
- much better interior/comfort

EVO
- 5 speed drone on highway
- less trunk space
- fit and finish isn't best?

I should also mention that I think I do more driving in the winter with the car than summer, due to driving to mountains a lot. In the summer, I split my time between my car and my motorcycle.

Sorry for the long post by the way, I really do appreciate your feedback so far. :)

KRyn
09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MustangSVT

STI
- has 6 speed, so better on highway mileage and engine note?
- more trunk space (hatchback version)
- reliability issue?

BMW 335
- different kind of car altogether?
- much better interior/comfort

EVO
- 5 speed drone on highway
- less trunk space
- fit and finish isn't best?

I should also mention that I think I do more driving in the winter with the car than summer, due to driving to mountains a lot. In the summer, I split my time between my car and my motorcycle.

Sorry for the long post by the way, I really do appreciate your feedback so far. :)

As much as I love my STI, I would rather get into a 335 after a hard day of riding. Crank up the heated seat, sit back and enjoy the cruise back to Calgary. It could be that my car is just to loud... Between the straight pipe exhaust and giant turbo I can't even hear the radio!
:rofl:

But at the end of the day you will not know which cars you like and dislike until you go and drive them.

heavyD
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
EVO fit and finish is no worse than STI. The silver paint on the STI dash trim wears and scratches really easily and the doors rattle.

The EVO back seats do not fold down so that may be a deal breaker for you. There is always the Ralliart wich does have fold down seats and a similar AWD system, engine, plus the MR's 6-Speed TC-SST but it's not as fast or sharp handling as the EVO.

There are some great FWD hatches out there like the GTI, MS3 and the new Focus ST which may be the new benchmarks for FWD hatchbacks.

KRyn
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
EVO fit and finish is no worse than STI. The silver paint on the STI dash trim wears and scratches really easily and the doors rattle.

The EVO back seats do not fold down so that may be a deal breaker for you. There is always the Ralliart wich does have fold down seats and a similar AWD system, engine, plus the MR's 6-Speed TC-SST but it's not as fast or sharp handling as the EVO.

There are some great FWD hatches out there like the GTI, MS3 and the new Focus ST which may be the new benchmarks for FWD hatchbacks.

How thin and light where the doors on your Evo? Sometimes I think the doors of my STI are going to blow off in the wind. :nut:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Another alternative that blends a little more creature comfort with AWD+Turbo could be a 2005+ Subaru Legacy GT or GT Limited, I had mine before my 135i and it was a nice car with AWD and turbo still was moderatly quick.

gpomp
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
i think the dual clutch transmission on the evo MR is worth the price of admission

MustangSVT
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I did not know this, and it might be a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure how I feel about having to get one of those roof racks to carry along my skiing/snowboarding stuff. I'll have to think about it some more. In the meantime, gonna go do a test drive soon.

bignerd
09-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Have owned both-(2) 2007 STI's and now a 2011 Evo MR.

My personal opinion, being female and not really driving for speed or rallying etc... I preferred the STI.

To me, it was more of a drivers car. Obviously we have the MR, not the GSR so we have the fancy paddle/half ass auto/fake stick transmission. I have driven stick all my life and preferred the STI for this-technologically speaking it was a much simpler car and was that much more enjoyable to drive.

The Evo has all these various modes, all this display info on the dash, buttons everywhere, I don't know how to work half the shit on that car.

The Evo, is however, faster. NO turbo lag.

If you get either car, I HIGHLY recommend that you get 3M coating right away. Do the hood, front bumper, edge of the hood scoop and your rear fender flares also. If you put this off you will be sorry.

Cos
09-12-2012, 06:38 PM

MustangSVT
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Money sort of is a big deal as well, so that's one of the deterrents to the BMW.

I have found some interesting used deals on BMW 335 and also Audi S4 and RS4 (which also have 4 wheel drive).

A couple more questions then I suppose.

4wd on the BMW (xDrive) and Quattro on the Audi, are they good for winter driving?

Is maintenance just way more on a german car, or is the STI/Evo comparable in terms of maintenance since they're all "premium" models?

Chandler_Racing
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
What about a TTRS, a little more pricey and less interior room but definately a cool car....

DeleriousZ
09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
What about a TTRS, a little more pricey and less interior room but definately a cool car....

The i5 in the ttrs is such a goddamn amazing motor.

One thing to be wary about the 335's is the high pressure fuel pumps dying. I think they have that issue sorted with a recall now though.

Also the wastegate flappers are prone to failure on those cars as well. However, a single turbo conversion fixes all of that ;)

ercchry
09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
996 turbo awd... be like everyone else on beyond! :rofl:

KRyn
09-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Is maintenance just way more on a german car, or is the STI/Evo comparable in terms of maintenance since they're all "premium" models?

Boxer engines are funking stupid, the dealership wants $300.00 + to change 4 spark plugs!

:nut:

heavyD
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Money sort of is a big deal as well, so that's one of the deterrents to the BMW.

I have found some interesting used deals on BMW 335 and also Audi S4 and RS4 (which also have 4 wheel drive).

A couple more questions then I suppose.

4wd on the BMW (xDrive) and Quattro on the Audi, are they good for winter driving?

If money is a big deal I would advise against purchasing a German car out of warranty.

DeleriousZ
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM

If money is a big deal I would advise against purchasing a German car out of warranty.

I would have to agree. After owning a 12 year old s4, unless you do all your own work, and have friends that can get you parts at cost, you need deeeeeep pockets.

colinxx235
09-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Agreed with the not being able to compare a 335 to a Evo/Sti Class.

I just bought a 2011 S4 for less than a new Evo/Sti would be. Absolutely no doubt in my mind which car I would want. The luxury features and comfort are well worth it. I was very close to getting a 335ix coupe also. Car drives great.

ArjayAquino
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Agreed with the not being able to compare a 335 to a Evo/Sti Class.

I just bought a 2011 S4 for less than a new Evo/Sti would be. Absolutely no doubt in my mind which car I would want. The luxury features and comfort are well worth it. I was very close to getting a 335ix coupe also. Car drives great.

Damn, that S4 must have depreciated like crazy to be less than a new STi. Good job snatching that up.

colinxx235
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
^

lets just say I got an amazing deal that you don't see very often. I'm in love with the car. Cause I'm assuming a new STI/EVO run around 50K all in?
not to mention my car has tint, 3M, two sets of wheels + stasis chip :D

ArjayAquino
09-13-2012, 10:48 AM
^

lets just say I got an amazing deal that you don't see very often. I'm in love with the car. Cause I'm assuming a new STI/EVO run around 50K all in?

I believe a new STi would be 44 to 46 all in but I could be wrong. Either way, spending a little bit more to get the package you got is a way better deal.

bigbadboss101
09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
I has a WRX 2010 and enjoyed it. Pretty low maintenance for me and I got the cobb as my minor mod and was fine with it. You have to decide what you want. Some cars are more of a 'drivers' car and others 'passenger' car and others are somewhere in between. I like the BMW products, and probably Audi offerings but post warranty might be a bit frightening.

georgemagana
09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
43k for a base GSR.
46k for a GSR with handling package.
48 For the MR I think. Not 100% sure.

EVOS are totally overpriced in canada :(

Good job getting that audi :) I love those

colinxx235
09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
well lets just say I paid less than both the GSR and MR.... lol

Thanks, it was a purchase I had been waiting to do for quite a while now. I got lucky and pounced.
Only problem now is not spending too much more money on it haha. So far no issues with the car. I will admit its lower than I expected. Needed to adjust driving habits a lot for driveways/parking lots etc.

But enough derailment. If I was op I'd go out and drive all 4 of those cars and just pick whatever feels best. I know I was having a tough time between 335ix and the S4. Both great vehicles.

MustangSVT
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM

But enough derailment. If I was op I'd go out and drive all 4 of those cars and just pick whatever feels best. I know I was having a tough time between 335ix and the S4. Both great vehicles.
That's what I'm planning to do. Gonna swing by a bunch of dealerships this weekend and possibly tomorrow, see what the deal is.

Thank you for the advice you've given so far. :)

colinxx235
09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
^

All good. Any questions about the 335ix or S4 you have throw me a PM or ask here. I did a rather large amount of research on those cars. And have test driven everything in the range. 335ix sedan, coupe (manual and auto). 335is, M3, S4.
Best thing about the 3/S4 is what a simple chip does to the car. Stasis chip makes the S4 a blast.

heavyD
09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
The way I look at it the OP is fine with his econo-box lancer but would like something a little more exciting. I still believe a car like an MS3, GTI, Focus ST, WRX, Ralliart, etc is the best way to go for him as going used German or even new EVO/STI is a big change in cost of ownership and the OP has to realize that the more technology in the car the more the cost of upkeep. From what I have read from the OP the S4 and 335ix may be too much of a leap for him in cost of ownership and a sporty car more on the economy side would serve him better.

Today's sporty hatches are surprisingly competent at offering sporty performance and every day utility in a fairly reliable package.

Aleks
09-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I bought a 2008 BMW 335i from a BMW dealer this spring. Came with another 2.5 years of coverage. HPFP issue has been sorted out, injectors too and it's covered for 10 years. BMW of USA started covering turbos for 8 yrs due to wastegates. So Canada may follow.

I don't know if I would buy one out of warranty but I wouldn't even touch an EVO or STI out of warranty either.

335i is a very very smooth ride. A perfect balance between handling and comfort. It handles decently without being rough. You want one with sport pack if you do get one. The earlier twin turbo models respond very well to mods too. A simple flash will give you ~ 400hp/ft-lbs and it's still very good on gas.

It does drive a lot differently (more relaxed) than EVO/STI/GTI/MS3 though so do lots of test drives before deciding.

dumplings
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
^

I recently bought a new '12 STI for 12k otd under the price you suggested. If my budget was in the 55k-60k range, i would be looking at a new S4/335xi. Like some posters have already mentioned, STI/EVO are difficult to compare with the German luxury's.

BTW congrats on your purchase. It seems like you got a heck of a deal.

MustangSVT
09-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dumplings

I recently bought a new '12 STI for 12k otd under the price you suggested. If my budget was in the 55k-60k range, i would be looking at a new S4/335xi. Like some posters have already mentioned, STI/EVO are difficult to compare with the German luxury's.

BTW congrats on your purchase. It seems like you got a heck of a deal.
What dealership did you go to? I also need to get rid of my current car ('07 Lancer GTS). Should I try to trade it in, or sell it on my own (autotrader/kijiji?)? It's virtually stock, decent condition (nothing wrong with it that I can think off top of my head), comes with separate winter tyre/rim set, current summer tyres are new-ish (purchased this year), have had regular dealer maintenance on it, etc.

got_mike33
09-13-2012, 06:31 PM
^

All good. Any questions about the 335ix or S4 you have throw me a PM or ask here. I did a rather large amount of research on those cars. And have test driven everything in the range. 335ix sedan, coupe (manual and auto). 335is, M3, S4.
Best thing about the 3/S4 is what a simple chip does to the car. Stasis chip makes the S4 a blast.

Does your S4 also have that Royal Oak exclusive "golf ball" finish? :rofl:

colinxx235
09-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33

Does your S4 also have that Royal Oak exclusive "golf ball" finish? :rofl:

uhhh no. I doubt I'd be saying I'm in love with a car that looks like an ex gf took a ball peen to it

edit: heres some pics just from the garage. I haven't had the proper time to get some photos I like. Not to mention my photography blows

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg845/scaled.php?server=845&filename=photo12xj.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=photo22zd.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg703/scaled.php?server=703&filename=photo31bo.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg525/scaled.php?server=525&filename=photo41h.jpg&res=landing

pinoyhero
09-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Had a 2008 non-x 335i and loved it, just sold it and bought a 2011 335ix. Car is as close to perfect in that price range as you can get imo. I think there's an argument that the s4 takes it and as new the cars are comparable in price but used the 335i in the 2001 range goes at like a 5k to 10k discount. Can't speak on the evo or sti, wicked cas i hear but as noted probably not a worth comparo.

Sorath
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM
having owned all 3, evo/sti/335xi

I would have to say that i enjoyed my evo mr the most out of all of them. the 335xi came in second probably wouldve been ahead of the evo had i not brought my car into bmw gallery to get the fuel pump changed 4 times in 1 year.

some pros and cons

sti - boring car, car understeers too much, i had a GD but the GR's i thought were worse than GD's, but cheap deals to be had, people are always looking to unload.

evo - awesome car, drives fabulous, Mine being an MR brakes are expensive. they were on par with my gtr. If modded got about 320km to a tank, so on par with my C63 but worse than my GTR :nut: 1 issue i had that alot of people had in colder provinces, My AYC pump failed. it was covered under warranty, if not it is about a 3-4k bill, there are some horror stories about it

335xi - Awesome stereo, car handles awesome in snow with winters. Expensive to mod, Fuel pump issue. Having to deal with bmw service was painful having to wait a month to bring it in to get looked at (fuel pump issue)

I did also test drive an s4 i do put it above the 335xi but behind the 335i but overall i think the car was overpriced for what it is.

EDIT: bmw has terrible resale value, since colinxx235 bought his s4 for so cheap i put it worse than or just as bad as the 335. the sti and evo is not quite honda resale value, however its not bad

Aleks
09-15-2012, 02:03 PM
That's really weird about fuel pump. How long ago? The latest recall should have pretty much fixed the issues.

Also, I've had 3 E90s now and I've had good luck with the service especially at the South dealer. Appts usually within 2 weeks with brand new cars for loaners. Parts and service are surprisingly no more expensive than Lexus/Audi/Merc/Honda/VW.

Sorath
09-15-2012, 02:56 PM
you know when i had my e92 aleks, it was probably 2-3 years ago. I never once got a loaner. This was at the north store, not south

Aleks
09-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
you know when i had my e92 aleks, it was probably 2-3 years ago. I never once got a loaner. This was at the north store, not south

Yeah the recall was last year with the new pumps. I didn't think it was that long since you had your E92. The south store is much bigger and always gives out loaners if you ask.

colinxx235
09-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Had a 2008 non-x 335i and loved it, just sold it and bought a 2011 335ix. Car is as close to perfect in that price range as you can get imo. I think there's an argument that the s4 takes it and as new the cars are comparable in price but used the 335i in the 2001 range goes at like a 5k to 10k discount. Can't speak on the evo or sti, wicked cas i hear but as noted probably not a worth comparo.

S4 vs 335ix I definitely liked the drive of the 3 coupe more, hands down. Much lighter and a more intouch feeling with corners. But to me it came down to the deal I got.

Calgary BMW has a 2011 black 335ix coupe manual loaded with saddle brown leather. But they wanted 54.9 + gst + fees. Just a joke

MustangSVT
09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Hey guys. I ended up purchasing a new STI hatchback yesterday. I test drove all 3 cars twice each, and ultimately decided on the STI. I liked the way it felt driving and really liked the interior, and got what I felt was a good deal on it. As far as the Evo goes, the lack of folding seats was a deal breaker for me after a lot of consideration, so I gave up on it. The BMW I test drove was pretty awesome, but it didn't have that excitement I wanted when driving it.

ArjayAquino
09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Hey guys. I ended up purchasing a new STI hatchback yesterday. I test drove all 3 cars twice each, and ultimately decided on the STI. I liked the way it felt driving and really liked the interior, and got what I felt was a good deal on it. As far as the Evo goes, the lack of folding seats was a deal breaker for me after a lot of consideration, so I gave up on it. The BMW I test drove was pretty awesome, but it didn't have that excitement I wanted when driving it.

awesome, congrats! It will be fun driving up to the mountains :D