PDA

View Full Version : Capping a bbq gas line.

Seth1968
09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello.

I'm removing a gas bbq, so I just planned on turning off the gas, drain the line, remove the threaded connector, and replace it with a cap and sealant.

The gf is concerned that if it ever leaked and caused a fire, we would be liable.

Would you spend the money on a gas fitter, or diy?

bmeier
09-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Your hard line has a valve on it right? I'd just close the valve and put a lock on it.

Seth1968
09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I forgot to mention that important point...there is no shut off valve on the bbg's gas line.

bmeier
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
There must be a shutoff valve somewhere for it. It would be fine to just cap it. Shut the gas off and put a cap on, when you turn the gas back on check for leaks. natural gas is really low pressure I wouldn't worry about it

sputnik
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I forgot to mention that important point...there is no shut off valve on the bbg's gas line.

Then it wasn't done to code.

CapnCrunch
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
There must be a shutoff valve somewhere for it. It would be fine to just cap it. Shut the gas off and put a cap on, when you turn the gas back on check for leaks. natural gas is really low pressure I wouldn't worry about it

Are you sure there isn't one inside your house somewhere?

Seth1968
09-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Are you sure there isn't one inside your house somewhere?

Yes.

It's a long story, but the bbq line is just T'd off an outside line that runs to a small gas heater for a house addition. The line to the heater has a shut off valve, but the bbq line doesn't.

Mibz
09-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Then get a fitter and have him install a valve while he's at it. Regardless of whether you put a leaky cap on, you're gonna get in shit if something blows up.