PDA

View Full Version : Question: Re my rights as a renter

swak
09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
So im locked into a lease now, and since the walkthrough of the apt included an unplugged fridge, i overlooked it. Everything seems fine now, but the property manager is crazy hard to deal with - i have no idea why.
Its like pulling teeth to get her to "do her job" ensuring everything is in running order etc.

Regardless, my fridge is a POS, at the highest setting, its barely cold.
I brought this to her attention, and shes coming this evening to check it out, my milks gone sour, and my beers not that cold (freezer is insanely cold though!)

So im afraid that she's gonna come by and say nope, it "Sorta" works, therefore its in working condition, deal with it.

However, that doesn't fly with me.

What rights do i have here? Or is that just the way it is, and im fucked?

msommers
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Take a gander through this guy. The fridge is not working fully which I'm 99.9% sure is a required appliance.

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/r119e.php

Stunt66
09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
As a renter you pretty much have more rights than the landlord. If the place is not up to standards just make sure you keep records of all communication with her that way if shit does hit the fan you have proof that there were concerns and they were were never dealt with. If worse comes to worse go down to the RTDC and file a complaint and if she doesnt get her shit together you should be able to get out of the lease and with our rental laws im sure they'll give you compensation for damn near everything(not 100% true but pretty close, our rental laws are all for the tenants).

swak
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks!

The act, however, only states that the landlord is to repair anything thats theirs pretty well S. 59(1). Which should be straight forward, i have nooooo idea why this is such a big deal to her. But whatever.

Just nothing in the act referring to a fridge though.

EDIT: Just moved here too, don't really want to go through the BS of moving again.... haha But well, oh well, it is what it is.

swak
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Whats RTDC though? Is this something that would be in City Hall, or more-so the Provincial Courthouse?

G
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Never understood why some landlords are such scum. Seriously you can get a new fridge for under $500. When my tenant said the stove didn't work bam new stove in 3 days. You treat them well they will treat your house well. My tenant was so good he replaced a leaking tap himself and he only asked for his out of pocket expense. Every year I buy him a nice bottle of wine, box of chocolates and movie tickets for the whole family. Cost me very little since I can expense some of it but it really makes them happy.

Stunt66
09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
its basically a court for tentants and landlords. It's located in the rocky mountain plaza downtown(old place where you use to pay traffic tickets). Its supposed to be a lot faster than going through the normal court system. You go file a complaint which was under $100(this was years ago and i was the LL so im not sure if its more or less for a tenant) and you basically state your complaint and they make copies of it which you have to hand to the LL. They set up a date and you sit in front a judge and they hear both sides and in the end they make a decision which is fully legal. I'm sure a working fridge would be considered a necessity.

The problem with repairs is simple, it takes time and money which a lot of LL's wanna avoid. i was guilty of this when i first rented but have learned and like G said You treat a tenant good they treat youre place good.

swak
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
She's not even the owner.. She just manages the block.

Anyways, can she turn around and say your fridge kinda works though and be in the right legally?

Grogador
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Sure, then you tell her you'll kinda pay the rent...

swak
09-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Haha. Check.

Then she'll say we'll kinda evict you. Not good.

masoncgy
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by G
Never understood why some landlords are such scum. Seriously you can get a new fridge for under $500. When my tenant said the stove didn't work bam new stove in 3 days. You treat them well they will treat your house well. My tenant was so good he replaced a leaking tap himself and he only asked for his out of pocket expense. Every year I buy him a nice bottle of wine, box of chocolates and movie tickets for the whole family. Cost me very little since I can expense some of it but it really makes them happy.

This. My tenants asked who to contact to repair the original fridge from 1980 in my rental and I had a brand new fridge delivered the next morning. They were thrilled. They are good tenants, pay the rent, take care of the place, why wouldn't I make sure they had a working fridge?

I would push to have that fridge replaced though. Sounds like it's on it's last legs. Nothing worse than getting a fridge full of food and the thing quits on you.

clemmy26
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Can you go on Kijiji and pick up a small fridge for the interm?

TomcoPDR
09-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by swak

So im afraid that she's gonna come by and say nope, it "Sorta" works, therefore its in working condition, deal with it.

Have you actually talked to her? Or just assuming she'll be hard to deal with (I'm assuming now, would be your past dealing with her)

Does it say appliances included for use under the lease? Or was it stated as a bonus from the get-go?

At the very least, maybe consider writting a regristered letter (to the address on the lease whether its landlord or landlord's agent), stating during walk-in the fridge wasn't plugged in at time of inspection, now that it's being used, you're noticing it's not performing properly, and you're just wish to inform them ASAP to be aware of such.

At least you can some-what protect yourself during move out, and they can't blame you and deduct cost of fridge repair/replacement on your dime. Or at least it'll look better on you if they take you to small courts later on.

JMO tho

Just IMO