PDA

View Full Version : Oh god I have to start driving deerfoot again (traffic advice)

Cos
09-11-2012, 12:29 PM

G
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
The Fortis building?

Cos
09-11-2012, 12:37 PM

supe
09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I live near you, I go deerfoot to 16 to center st.

Going home deerfoot or 4th st North is pretty clear take it to center and find your way from there.

Should take 30-40 mins.

benyl
09-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Weren't you thinking of moving to Airdrie? haha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Center street after all the construction BS is done.

msommers
09-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Link (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Country+Hills+Blvd+NE&daddr=51.0602263,-114.0547131+to:17+Ave+SW&hl=en&ll=51.097917,-114.005127&spn=0.227678,0.672226&sll=51.059739,-114.041176&sspn=0.028483,0.084028&geocode=FRiNDAMdQOMz-Q%3BFQIeCwMdx6kz-SkvqQW3W2VxUzHPvQB4GeynlA%3BFZLGCgMdUWoz-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&t=m&z=11) ?

Cos
09-11-2012, 01:10 PM

botox
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I live in Panorama hills and work DT. Take the bus, but when I drive I will go down 4st, then cut over to center st at 12ave.

- OR -

I've driven this route a few times and was pretty good. Go Deerfoot to 16ave, then turn left at the first set of lights and turn right on any of the side streets to get to Edmonton Tr., then take a left downtown. Found this much faster then going 16 to Edmonton Tr. or Center St. If Traffic is backed up you can always go 32nd or McNight to Edmonton Trail.

Going home 4th to Center is the way to go, and turn left at Beddington Blvd to get on Beddington Trail then to Harvest Hills Blvd. Or you can turn right at 64ave and take the side road to Beddington Blvd and cut off everyone to turn left on Beddington Trail.

buh_buh
09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
4pm isn't bad, especially if you're out of the core
The traffic only starts to get bad around 5.

Cos
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Tarrantula
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
COS- I work DT also - Best way south is crowchild. hands down. I can get from 9 st and 6ave to riverbend in 18 minutes.

Just stay in the left lane of crow until you get close to glen, then merge in and cut line like everyone else does. :banghead:

Past that - Deerfoot wont be too bad if you get on it quick enough. or blackfoot as far as you can.

CanmoreOrLess
09-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I used to have an ugly commute everyday in Toronto, decided to join a gym close to my office and worked out five days a week (90 mins) after work. Got in great shape and was stress free. I also decided leaving for work in the morning, it was best to leave an hour earlier (look into traffic flow studies for Calgary, the city department has this info), have a coffee and catch up on my personal reading. No traffic really going both ways, better read, in shape and not stressed out.

supe
09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I used to have an ugly commute everyday in Toronto, decided to join a gym close to my office and worked out five days a week (90 mins) after work. Got in great shape and was stress free. I also decided leaving for work in the morning, it was best to leave an hour earlier (look into traffic flow studies for Calgary, the city department has this info), have a coffee and catch up on my personal reading. No traffic really going both ways, better read, in shape and not stressed out.

I like your style.

Vagabond142
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Thanks for the input everyone! Still a little pissed but can't wait to be downtown again (once you are down there nothing like the restaurants and the girls :drool:) and upward movement in your job is always nice to see!

Yep. Working one block away from TD Square in one direction and the Chick Pea in the other means that when I do buy lunch, I'm not exactly poor on choice :P

Cos
09-11-2012, 04:10 PM

benyl
09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Cos

If it was June or July I would maybe try riding my bike but I am not in good enough shape to do that yet and with the cold weather am not really interested.

You'll never be in good enough shape to ride downtown. I have been doing it for 2 months now and I still die when I get home. You just have to start doing it and not make excuses.

I still ride in shorts in the morning and my commute in is all downhill. I don't like the cold, but it isn't that bad when you are using your legs to propel you. Even though it is downhill, I can still workup a sweat by the time I get to work. Being honest, the cool weather is better cause it fucking sucks when riding home uphill when it is 35 degrees! haha

rob the knob
09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
17 and 4 is not downtown

this is a good thing because you will not be fighting the in downtown traffic to get in and out of downtown in rushours

M.alex
09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't know what the big deal is about downtown tarffic is. I usually come in around 1.20pm and leave around 6.40pm and never run into any traffic. :confused:

edit: aww, can't white text :(

speedog
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
17 and 4 is not downtown

this is a good thing because you will not be fighting the in downtown traffic to get in and out of downtown in rushours OP can go east on 17th, north on MacLeod, east on 12th and north on the new 4th St. SE underpass all the way to River Front Ave and bypass the afternoon shit show on NB MacLeod after 11th Ave.

Cos
09-11-2012, 09:14 PM

Mar
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
This is easy, I got a few very important tips for you.

When you're coming down the offramp, you want to reach your merge point at no more than 70% of the speed limit, it's important that traffic be screaming by you on your left as you try to merge into it. Also, you want to merge left even if you don't have to, this is key. Doing so either without using your indicator or turning it on at the very last second as you're crossing the line. And make sure you jam on the brakes when you shoulder check, if you don't do this you just might be too safe in your lane change.

Follow these few simple steps and you'll fit right into Deerfoot driving.

Cos
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM

lsc2g
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
eastbound memorial deerfoot north is the worst designed piece of shit in north america by far

i live in airdrie and commute downtown daily

getting in there are a few options if traffic is stupid from the normal deerfoot-memorial flyover route

deerfoot to 32nd west and hop down edmonton trail

deerfoot to 16th west and hop down edmonton trail or center street

coming home deerfoot is a gong show between well 17th se and mcknight

after mcknight it speeds up

so try this if you want rage to a minimum and don't everyone do this or you'll fuck my route up!

from downtown 4th just stay left and fuck memorial and go up edmonton trail.. stay in left lane up the hill and before 16th stay left or if the left turn lane is backed up hop over right.

follow edmonton trail to mcknight (stay in right lane after 32nd cutover area) otherwise stay in left because the road is shit and my s4 rubs all over the damn place here.

anyways up to mcknight you go.. if mcknight is OK eastbound you can rock it up and merge on deerfoot... once you merge you just get over as fast as you can and you'll be doing 100-110 in no time all the way out of town :)

speedog
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos
That isnt a bad idea. I have forgot about that new underpass. Yupp, most people just fall in line on MacLeod Trail NB like the cattle they are - 4th St. SE to Riverfront Ave. and then onto Centre St. NB via 2nd Ave. SE.

Biggest line-up of vehicles will be turning left onto Riverfront and even then, it's usually no more then three deep as there's two left turn lanes there. Just gotta keep an eye out for wandering bums/drunks near the drop-in center and also (I'm not being prejudice here), you've got what can be sometimes a challenging block to traverse on 2nd Ave in Chinatown. So much less stressful though then MacLeod Trail NB by city hall and then either 4th or 6th Ave's to Centre.

CanmoreOrLess
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by supe

I like your style.

On the downside, once my coworkers (who most all lived downtown) got word of my seemingly "free time" after work, they did try on a nightly basis dragging me to the local pub. I was too far gone fitness-wise, every beer or rye and coke, all I could think of was the amount of time I would have to be on the treadmill to offset the bad calories. Combine drinks with Thursday night "Wing Night" and the week was a wash.

CanmoreOrLess
09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Maybe I should have clarified and said that it isnt really deerfoot that bothers me. It is deerfoot at 5:00 coming from downtown. I hate that Eastbound Memorial to Northbound Deerfoot interchange more than I have ever hated anything in my life.

Add a snowstorm and you'll be needing a piss jug (TPB).

45rIRGX-ZJY

silvercivicsir
09-11-2012, 10:02 PM
it's not that bad.. I ride from Evanston and can get downtown in 52-58 minutes ish.. almost 25 kms each way..

Originally posted by benyl

You'll never be in good enough shape to ride downtown. I have been doing it for 2 months now and I still die when I get home. You just have to start doing it and not make excuses.

I still ride in shorts in the morning and my commute in is all downhill. I don't like the cold, but it isn't that bad when you are using your legs to propel you. Even though it is downhill, I can still workup a sweat by the time I get to work. Being honest, the cool weather is better cause it fucking sucks when riding home uphill when it is 35 degrees! haha

taemo
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
8-4 means traffic coming in, agree with Botox going through the renfrew area to hit Edmonton trail from 16th ave but do this only if Memorial is bad as IMO it's still the fastest way in.
Going back home, I would take 14th street all the way to country hills or take your chance with Deerfoot.
I took Deerfoot once from chinook to beddington at 5pm and it was 30 min