PDA

View Full Version : Auto - Stick

GorG
02-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I looked this up in the search fields and couldnt find anything about it, so i decided to take the risk of posting it. How much do you guys think it would cost to convert an automatic car to a standard one? Dont include the transmission because when i buy the next engine for ithe car it'll come with a standard tranny. I dont really want to install the shifter and clutch myself because i'll probably screw up. so i was wondering how much it would cost, has any one even heard of this being done?

finboy
02-09-2004, 09:30 PM
i've done it on my car, which utilizes a clutch cable

this topic has been discussed several times, look up auto to manual.

mine was easy because there are 5 speed cars at the wrecker so i could go back and get whatever parts i need.

honestly, you're better off buying a 5 speed in the first place.

GorG
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks a lot, no see i wanted to pick up this Ae86 for 400. But the thing is its auto, everything else is perfect on it, like no rust, nice interior, engine runs good, its just old, and i got all this idea tof what i could do to it witht he extra money but the one thing that is slowing me down from getting it was the auto part.

angierideswitme
02-09-2004, 09:42 PM
To change a automatic to manual you need a complete donor car, as to there are tons of parts that need to be swapped over.
thus it takes alot of time, therefor it can be said that it costs alot of money.

angierideswitme
02-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by GorG
Thanks a lot, no see i wanted to pick up this Ae86 for 400. But the thing is its auto, everything else is perfect on it, like no rust, nice interior, engine runs good, its just old, and i got all this idea tof what i could do to it witht he extra money but the one thing that is slowing me down from getting it was the auto part.

there a re usually lots of these cars at pick your part. you could probly get everything you need for under 100 bucks.
it would probly cost you atleast twice that to get it put it,

so your looking at like 300 to 500, if you can get a deal.

But if its a true ae86 with a good body, and it's a hatch, I say go for it. PM if your not interested so I can pick it up:rofl:

finboy
02-09-2004, 09:47 PM
if you want to swap, by all means, have at it, ae86's are getting pretty hard to find for a fair price now, but they show up at the wreckers all the time, so you could easily get the parts needed.

the BIGGEST pain in the ass is the pedal assembally.

for the ae you would need...

crossmember for tranny
pedal assembally
clutch assembaly
shifter with linkage/cables (not sure what the ae has)
and probably a lot more i'm missing.

1badPT
02-09-2004, 10:49 PM
finboy is right. My old car, 99 Cirrus was a nightmare to do the 5spd swap from a 4 spd auto. What made things worse was my car never came as a standard, so the ECU was fighting me the whole time. Plus it was a pain running the cables.

It did eventually work fine, but that was after A LOT of headaches. In hindsight, I almost wouldn't do it again except for the fact that it completely changed how the car drove. It went from a boggy 18s quarter mile into easy 16s. If you can stomach the install it makes for a wicked vehicle - same power as my current car with about 1000lbs less weight :D :D :D

But it was not an easy job.

Just to give you an idea of how tough it is - read through these instructions for the Cirrus
http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~fett/howto.html

angierideswitme
02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
it's alot easier on a older car, espically something well designed, unlike the cirrus.:bigpimp: j/k j/k

1badPT
02-09-2004, 10:59 PM
LOL burn :whipped:

The Cirrus was a weird car to work since NO ONE made mods for it, so other than a handful of aftermarket items, everything was a DIY mod. Was pretty cool though when it was done :) [/sentimental moment]

ramminghard
02-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I thought that the AE86 only came with a standard. Not sure though.

finboy
02-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
LOL burn :whipped:

The Cirrus was a weird car to work since NO ONE made mods for it, so other than a handful of aftermarket items, everything was a DIY mod. Was pretty cool though when it was done :) [/sentimental moment]

welcome to the wonderful world of turbododges, where the parts you have are whatever you can find for other cars :thumbsup:

1badPT
02-09-2004, 11:20 PM
LOL its so true! The mod I was considering just before I got rid of it was a rear disc brake conversion. No kit of course, (cuz NO ONE makes one!!!) but a trip to the junk yard to find a sebring convertible and you'd be able to pick up everything you needed, even an abs computer LOL

88CRX
02-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Overal in parts and labour i payed around 700-800 for mine to get converted.

three.eighteen.
02-09-2004, 11:31 PM
if its automatic its not a gts, which means its not an ae86

CelicaST-162
02-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
if its automatic its not a gts, which means its not an ae86

Yes if it is auto then forsure it isnt a GT-S, but the SR-5 is still classified as an AE86

three.eighteen.
02-09-2004, 11:44 PM
i thought they were ae85s or whatevah...oh well...suppose you could do engine/tranny swap into the sr5

finboy
02-09-2004, 11:46 PM
hell, if the body is good, its still worth it
go get a low mileage 4age, lsd rear end, and 5 speed , you still wouldn't be looking at more than 2 g's for the whole thing.