PDA

View Full Version : Does anything change with duty/tax when crossing in BC?

HiTempguy1
09-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm looking to purchase quite a bit of car parts and whatnot while down in the USA next week.

If I were to cross the BC border vs going through Coutts, would I only pay GST, or would they make me pay PST (or HST or whatever) and then get credited back at a later date?

It's basically an extra tank of gas in the pickup (so about $100/500kms) to go to Coutts instead of going through the Abbotsford crossing.

My main concern is crossing with a bit less than 2000L of race fuel. Transport Canada allows personal movement of 2000L of fuel without having to follow and TDG rules. I spoke with the Coutts border, and they were perfectly fine with me transporting that much fuel across the border. I just want to make sure the CSBA at Abbotsford wouldn't freak out, because if that is the case, I'll just spend the extra $100!

Tik-Tok
09-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Legally speaking, you should be charged gst, and BC PST, and won't be refunded a dime. Who knows what the border guard will ask for though, there actually are some nice ones out there.

HiTempguy1
09-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Legally speaking, you should be charged gst, and BC PST, and won't be refunded a dime. Who knows what the border guard will ask for though, there actually are some nice ones out there.

Oh wow, in that case, to Coutts I go :(

Bringing back about $5k worth, no way the BC gov is seeing a cent of tax revenue off of it!

dirtsniffer
09-15-2012, 02:30 PM

pheoxs
09-15-2012, 02:37 PM
also if your bringing back alcohol bc will tax you at 150%

C_Dave45
09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
also if your bringing back alcohol bc will tax you at 150% It's only about 100% and that's only if he's above the personal exemption limit of 40oz of hard, or a 24 of beer.

cosmok
09-15-2012, 07:02 PM
This is false, it's based on where you are a resident of and are able to provide ID for. Crossed in Saskatchewan many times bringing boats, car parts etc back and only have been charged GST. Phone the border crossing you will use if you are in doubt.

Tik-Tok
09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by cosmok

This is false, it's based on where you are a resident of and are able to provide ID for. Crossed in Saskatchewan many times bringing boats, car parts etc back and only have been charged GST. Phone the border crossing you will use if you are in doubt.

Well, I'll be damned you're correct. They lied and fucked me over.

Place of residence: Please note the amount of duty and taxes owing is impacted by your place of residence and not the location where you enter Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

syritis
09-15-2012, 07:18 PM
on the canada gov website i read that you can bring back 400$ worth of goods per day to a maximum of 850$ not including guns/alcohol/tobacco duty and tax free.

however when i was down there almost 2 months ago through kingsgate, BC. i came back with almost 1200$ of goods and they never charged me anything. i got the impression the boarder guard just didn't feel like doing the paper work. a very appreciated gesture none the less.

HiTempguy1
09-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by syritis
i came back with almost 1200$ of goods and they never charged me anything.

Well, if you had the maximum $850 to use, you would only be taxed on $400. At 5%, that's what, $20? Probably tough for them to GAF about that.

Also, thanks for the headsup! I think while the time is the exact same going through BC or Montana (H89 to Cardstone), I'm pretty sure the BC route will be easier sailing overall (better highways, wider, etc).

syritis
09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Well, if you had the maximum $850 to use, you would only be taxed on $400. At 5%, that's what, $20? Probably tough for them to GAF about that.

Also, thanks for the headsup! I think while the time is the exact same going through BC or Montana (H89 to Cardstone), I'm pretty sure the BC route will be easier sailing overall (better highways, wider, etc).

highway 3 is worth a drive regardless. theirs a couple story book towns a long the way. ones that seem to perfect like they haven't been touched by modern society in many years. very pleasant to see.

also from what i'm told kingsgate is one of the least busy boarder crossings. no wait on the way through, 1 car wait on the way back.