PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Registry at Marda Loop

seeingsbelieving
09-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I booked my Class 5 Advanced road test by calling in Registry at Marda Loop and it was smooth and quick. ‘Muhammad’ (#03749) was the examiner. About half way through the test, we were in a residential area. I saw 2 kids chasing each other right at the verge of the curb which obviously was a hazard so I stopped at the T intersection. After it's safe to proceed, he asked me ‘why did you stop, did you see the Stop sign on the side road?’ I said I did. Before I could say anything more about the 2 kids, he cut me off saying it wasn't my stop sign and I shouldn't have stopped. I tried to explain what happened but he insisted I misread the stop sign. When the full test hour was up, he told me I failed because I ‘obstructed traffic’. Then he said 'you can do the test again tomorrow. You wanna do it tomorrow?'.

On the test score sheet, he deducted 30 point for the situation above and 5 points for signalling late; the failing threshold is 75.

Among questions I don’t have answers for are:

1. ‘Proceeding’ is more important than kids’ safety?
2. How would it constitute ‘obstructing traffic’ if there was no car behind?
3. If I had ‘failed’ as he claimed, why didn’t he stop the test on the spot? There would have been no point of continuing;
4. Does a day make the whole difference between pass and fail (he asked me to re-take the test the next day)? The only difference I can see is I will pay him another $141 fee.

I went to this registry because of its ‘good’ online reviews and naively thought that would imply decent service standards. So I even shrugged off the fact my friend had another bad experience there last year because ‘he had a different examiner’. Who would have thought this registry is consistently plagued by rude, low/no class, money grabbing examiners (the clerk who made the reservation for me said ‘he’s the nicer one (of the 2)’.

Also a tip for other road test takers - book through http://www.albertadriverexaminer.ca; you get to choose a specific registry and schedule a time convenient to you, even cheaper $114 vs. $141 at Marda Loop.

Mar
09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Were they on the road? If not, who cares? Keep driving.

Kloubek
09-15-2012, 03:29 PM
^So you're saying that if it looks like kids might run out in the street, you think it is a better idea to ignore that possibility and just go on your way?

Either you don't know how to read, or you're just an asshole.
Pick one.

Mar
09-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Neither, kids play on the side of the road all the time, if everyone stopped for that traffic would never move. Unless the kid was sprinting flat out towards the road and then barely stopped before the street it doesn't matter. I see that all the time.

Weapon_R
09-15-2012, 03:43 PM
You can't expect to stop in the middle of the road every time you see a kid playing on the sidewalk.

ercchry
09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
why would you come to a full stop? use cation and keep your foot over the brake. if they make it to the road... then use said brake. :dunno:

our test is too easy. if you fail do everyone a favor and just dont drive

ianmcc
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM
^^^What he said. Hover the brake but don't stop.
Sorry but Muhammed was right to fail you.

masoncgy
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Unless they were out on the road itself, I would have just let off the gas and passed by cautiously.

Legitimate fail.

G-ZUS
09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
^^^What he said. Hover the brake but don't stop.
Sorry but Muhammed was right to fail you.

Originally posted by masoncgy
Unless they were out on the road itself, I would have just let off the gas and passed by cautiously.

Legitimate fail.

:werd: :facepalm:

Did you sign up just to post this?

revelations
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
If the instructor failed you on the spot for obstructing traffic there should have been no point in continuing.

However, he only gave you 30 points - I dont quite follow - where else did you fail?

90accord
09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
To to the registry at northill mall super relaxed guy and doesn't screw around!

btimbit
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by seeingsbelieving

Among questions I don’t have answers for are:

1. ‘Proceeding’ is more important than kids’ safety?
2. How would it constitute ‘obstructing traffic’ if there was no car behind?
3. If I had ‘failed’ as he claimed, why didn’t he stop the test on the spot? There would have been no point of continuing;
4. Does a day make the whole difference between pass and fail (he asked me to re-take the test the next day)? The only difference I can see is I will pay him another $141 fee.

1. Unless they were actually on the road, or flat out sprinting very close towards the road, there was no reason to actually come to a complete stop. Sorry, you're wrong.

2. Did you bother to check if there was a car behind? There could have been, and it turns out you stopped for nothing. Obstructing Traffic. Sorry, you're wrong.

3. They never stop the test immediately, it's the policy across most registries. Don't fault him for that, I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to spend the next half hour on a coffee break, but he's just doing his job on that front. Happened to me too, they HAVE to finish the test, regardless of instant fail. Sorry, you're wrong.

4. Standard policy is that you can only take one test a day, across all registries. It even says that in the new drivers handbook. Sorry, you're wrong.

It sucks, I'm sure you feel cheated and that you blew $141, but unfortunately you're the only one to blame.

Tik-Tok
09-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

3. They never stop the test immediately, it's the policy across most registries. Don't fault him for that, I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to spend the next half hour on a coffee break, but he's just doing his job on that front. Happened to me too, they HAVE to finish the test, regardless of instant fail. Sorry, you're wrong.

For good reason too. Otherwise you might not know other shortcoming in your driving skills.

jsn
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Like everyone else said, it's legitimate. If I see kids on the side of the road, I slow down. I don't come to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Using your logic, I would never make it home between 3 to 4pm Monday to Friday. There's two elementary schools by my house and there are always kids by the side of the road.

Also, you said he only deducted 30 points for that situation. That means you racked up another 45 points somewhere else. No offense, but it sounds to me that you need more practice before you're ready for the road.

I think this is a good thing. Honestly speaking, I'd rather have them finish the full test so that they can tell you what you did wrong and you can make sure you don't do it again.

know1edge
09-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Also, you said he only deducted 30 points for that situation. That means you racked up another 45 points somewhere else. No offense, but it sounds to me that you need more practice before you're ready for the road.

nvm

Disoblige
09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
What we found out in this thread:

‘Muhammad’ (#03749) is a good examiner! Props!

Mar
09-15-2012, 10:40 PM

Happened to me too, I failed 2 seconds after pulling out of the registry lot. Another car was coming so I pulled out quickly so I could get in front of him and I "failed to yield to oncoming traffic" for a 50 point loss and automatic fail. I didn't know until I finished the entire rest of the test and got back to the registry.

btimbit
09-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Happened to me too, I failed 2 seconds after pulling out of the registry lot. Another car was coming so I pulled out quickly so I could get in front of him and I "failed to yield to oncoming traffic" for a 50 point loss and automatic fail. I didn't know until I finished the entire rest of the test and got back to the registry.

Mine was going 10km/hr over the limit on Elbow Dr. ten minutes into the hour long test. I was pretty annoyed at first that they wasted another 50 minutes of fuel, etc, etc.

But of course since I was 18 it was all their fault and I was the best driver in the world. :dunno:

M.alex
09-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
What we found out in this thread:

‘Muhammad’ (#03749) is a good examiner! Props!

EXCEPT for the fact he offered the OP another chance to take the test tomorrow.

-2 points for giving retard another chance at a license. :thumbsdow

DEATH2000
09-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

For good reason too. Otherwise you might not know other shortcoming in your driving skills.
Actually its for their safety. They have had a few people get told they failed prior to the full exam being completed and went nuts and did some pretty stupid shit. Its better to tell someone you failed when the car is stopped and off then with someone you have never met before and not know how they will react.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I always tell people to do the driving test in the dead of winter.

The examiners are usually so scared they dont care if you do 30kph the whole time haha. Lines and signs aren't visable, just go slow and yield to everything.

Or just don't suck at driving :dunno:

wintonyk
09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I failed my advanced road test at the beginning as well. Merging onto Macleod I went 90 with the flow of traffic and speed limit was 80. The rest of the sheet was clean.

The instructor was good about it though. When we talked, I asked. " Am I supposed to go with flow of traffic or follow the speed limit?" He said " during the test speed limit, the rest of the time flow with traffic so you don't obstruct." He apologized for failing me but said he was just doing his job. Same holds true when I was 18 I hated him to all hell. 25 I look back and say c'est la vie.

Graham_A_M
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Funny that the OP hasn't been back since.
:rofl:

J-D
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I passed both of mine the first time, but when I took my advanced road test I remember leaving the parking lot of the registry and I didn't come to a complete stop - she asked me if I still wanted to proceed and then to place both of my hands on the wheel. I guess I got lucky that she didn't fail me! :rofl:

jsn
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

I'm pretty sure you fail after 25 points and he got 35

Didn't know it was only 25. His post said it was 75. It's been a long time since I've taken the test haha.

DeeK
09-17-2012, 01:09 AM
You fail after 75 points. Although it should be 25.

When I took my test I got 10 points off for one handed steering. I was driving stick putting two hands on the wheel whenever possible. LOL. Other then that I was completely clean, so if these kids are getting even 25 points in the span of a 10 minute drive they deserve to fail.

Kramerica
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I failed the first time for some ridiculous excuse, I don't even remember what, all I remember is the examiner going on a ten minute rant that began with how stupid and unsafe my car was designed and I can't shoulder check properly in it and then ended with how the Pontiac Aztek is so ugly and how he was looking to buy one for his daughter. I knew as soon as the Aztek came up I was going to fail. The key to these tests are to find out the route they take and drive if a few times so you know all the signage and aren't suprised by anything.

Quiet10
09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Kramerica
I failed the first time for some ridiculous excuse, I don't even remember what, all I remember is the examiner going on a ten minute rant that began with how stupid and unsafe my car was designed and I can't shoulder check properly in it and then ended with how the Pontiac Aztek is so ugly and how he was looking to buy one for his daughter. I knew as soon as the Aztek came up I was going to fail. The key to these tests are to find out the route they take and drive if a few times so you know all the signage and aren't suprised by anything.

Or the key to these tests is to be a good driver. Not to 'cheat' on the test by being familiar with a route. I shudder to think what could happen if you drove into an unfamiliar area and were 'suprised' by signage. :thumbsdow

A790
09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10

Or the key to these tests is to be a good driver. Not to 'cheat' on the test by being familiar with a route. I shudder to think what could happen if you drove into an unfamiliar area and were 'suprised' by signage. :thumbsdow
Basically, yep.

403Gemini
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I remember failing my test (just once) but a bullshit reason. Was the final turn before the parking lot, I entered the intersection and it was a green light - instructor had his head down finishing his notes - light goes yellow... then red. Traffic was heavy so I was waiting for it to stop vs just waiting for the cars to slow down (so sue me, I was 17 and didn't want to get t-boned) so light goes red and traffic completely stops so I go. At that moment instructor looked up and said "Oh man.. you just failed" shocked I replied "why?" He said I ran a red light... I sat there baffled and said I was in the intersection when the light was green, which is allowed. He shook his head and said "nope, I saw the light was red"

Man that made me pissed off.

guessboi
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I remember failing my test (just once) but a bullshit reason. Was the final turn before the parking lot, I entered the intersection and it was a green light - instructor had his head down finishing his notes - light goes yellow... then red. Traffic was heavy so I was waiting for it to stop vs just waiting for the cars to slow down (so sue me, I was 17 and didn't want to get t-boned) so light goes red and traffic completely stops so I go. At that moment instructor looked up and said "Oh man.. you just failed" shocked I replied "why?" He said I ran a red light... I sat there baffled and said I was in the intersection when the light was green, which is allowed. He shook his head and said "nope, I saw the light was red"

Man that made me pissed off.

Wow. he screwed you hard on that one.

cman24
09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
You never get a test from a brown guy for a licence , you buy your licence from him.