PDA

View Full Version : One Car Too Far

mr2mike
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
3Vtah-14Yaw

Seems like a decent premise. Watching first episode now.

Disoblige
09-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks interesting.

For the first 5 seconds, I thought one of the guys was Bear Grylls hah.

7thgenvic
09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks pretty decent!

403Gemini
09-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Hmm... I'll PVR that :D

FraserB
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Absolutely retarded.:rolleyes:

Neither of them should be driving.

403Gemini
09-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Absolutely retarded.:rolleyes:

Neither of them should be driving.

Why's that? There is a white guy there...

:devil:

mr2mike
09-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Watched the 1st 3 episodes so far.

Review:
Everyone would do things differently in the situation, it's interesting to see how these guys tackle the different things thrown at them. Do I agree with all their decisions? No, but I also appreciate how the show tries to allow the two characters to explain why they chose the path or decision they did.
Asian guy is too focused on food. Also seems to let the British guy do all the heavy lifting and work.
Is it sensationalized? Of course. TV is good at portraying things to be life threatening or everything they do is the right thing. But you see through that.
Anyone who drives, likes cars and has been stuck in a snowbank or done even minimal off roading will probably enjoy this show.

FraserB
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
done even minimal off roading will probably enjoy this show.

Oddly enough, the people who do offroad have been incredibly critical of this. Just because of the shear amount of silly things they do and say, pretty much none of it is realistic and no one would do what they are doing on the trail.

The little talk about synthetic winch cable being deadly when it snaps and flies back is completely untrue.

No one is going to replace a perfectly good tire with a log when they can use the Hi-Lift shaft to keep the broken axle shaft from walking out of the tube. (Done this one myself)

Twig as a spark plug wire is retarded. Especially since he has tape and a little plastic tube right there. Either just tape the wire or cut the tube lengthwise on one edge, put it over the wire and then tape it.

All his hill descents involve him braking and not using low range. You can tell since he is slipping all over the place. Put it into 4-Low and use the transmission correctly and it will just crawl down. No risk of heating the brakes up and you have more control. He also still had his sway bar connected, disconnecting it would greatly improve stability on the off camber parts.

Didn't look like he aired down his tires at all.

ipeefreely
09-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Should be call "One Jeep Too Far... :nut:

I've watched a few of the shows, they're not too bad... but how much that one guy talks about food a bit is too much for me! :facepalm:

No one is going to replace a perfectly good tire with a log when they can use the Hi-Lift shaft to keep the broken axle shaft from walking out of the tube. (Done this one myself)
I was thinking this too but I couldn't completely figure it out... Fraser could you describe what you did? Thanks! :thumbsup:

FraserB
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Broken axle shaft in a locked D35 running chains (bad idea btw), strapped the HiLift across the tire to keep it from walking out of the tube. This lasted off of the trial and out of Waiparous.

Allows the tire to spin freely, you don't get hung up and you won't wear through the straps that you use on a log. The straps they used on the log would wear through very fast.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/IMAG0150.jpg

ipeefreely
09-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Broken axle shaft in a locked D35 running chains (bad idea btw), strapped the HiLift across the tire to keep it from walking out of the tube. This lasted off of the trial and out of Waiparous.

Allows the tire to spin freely, you don't get hung up and you won't wear through the straps that you use on a log. The straps they used on the log would wear through very fast.
Thanks Fraser! I was thinking of something similar (something going across the tire so it wouldn't slide out) but I didn't figure out the straps part! :(

I also didn't spend more than 5 second thinking about it... hopefully I would have come up with something if that happened to me! :rofl:

mr2mike
09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Yes I was thinking the same thing. YOu just need to hold the tire in place. The walking the Jeep down the hill at an angle to keep lateral force on the wheel was a good step but I will agree the log to replace the tire is more of the "Sensationalism for TV" I was talking about. Those straps would last maybe 1/2km in the mud. Gravel road, 10 seconds.