PDA

View Full Version : Remote start on manual transmission

jgall21
09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I had a Viper 5701 remote start/alarm combo installed on my 2000 Acura EL with standard transmission.

I believe he installed it incorrectly and I will explain why.

When the car was in first gear and the manual transmission mode not set the vehicle started and drove itself into another car. he claimed that it was my own fault. THEN he told me that the neutral safety switch is faulty. The problem is when I try starting the car with my key, In first gear and no foot on the clutch it won't start (same thing with reverse).

If anyone has some advice or suggestions... or even someone who would take a look at it I would appreciate it big time.

Thanks in advance.

spike98
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
The viper, properly installed on a manual transmission, will need to be put in ready mode before exiting the vehicle.

You apply the ebrake, remove your foot from the break, press the start button, wait for feedback then remove the key. The vehicle will remain running until you exit the vehicle and close the door.

That is the only way to remote start the manual. If it starts ANY other way it was not set to manual mode and was installed incorrectly for a manual vehicle.

spikerS
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
not necessarily installed incorrectly...

My first question OP is why did you leave your vehicle and leave it in first gear and then try to start it?

2, the system should not have started being in first gear, which could point to improper installation, or defective parts, or user error, or a combination of all 3.

The only way anyone could come up with any kind of diagnosis on this, is to have it all inspected.

Either way, you are the negligent one for leaving your car in first gear, and then trying to use the remote starter. Safety systems fail all the time. Never underestimate the power of a sufficiently trained retard.

spike98
09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by spikers
not necessarily installed incorrectly...

My first question OP is why did you leave your vehicle and leave it in first gear and then try to start it?

2, the system should not have started being in first gear, which could point to improper installation, or defective parts, or user error, or a combination of all 3.

The only way anyone could come up with any kind of diagnosis on this, is to have it all inspected.

Either way, you are the negligent one for leaving your car in first gear, and then trying to use the remote starter. Safety systems fail all the time. Never underestimate the power of a sufficiently trained retard.

I disagree spikers. The only way a remote start in manual mode can be started is if it is in "ready mode".

He should not have been able to put the car in ready mode with the car in 1st. I would sense the clutch/break/gear position and fail to enter ready mode allowing for remote start. If the starter is set to automatic (thus implying incorrect installation) then it would be completely possible to start with it in gear.

The only way i can see that happening is if the window was open and it was put into gear after ready mode was enabled....and that would suggest he was trying to make it move when started.

spikerS
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by spike98

I disagree spikers. The only way a remote start in manual mode can be started is if it is in "ready mode".

He should not have been able to put the car in ready mode with the car in 1st. I would sense the clutch/break/gear position and fail to enter ready mode allowing for remote start. If the starter is set to automatic (thus implying incorrect installation) then it would be completely possible to start with it in gear.

The only way i can see that happening is if the window was open and it was put into gear after ready mode was enabled....and that would suggest he was trying to make it move when started.

Granted, you should ONLY be able to do that in ready mode with the shifter in neutral WITH the e-brake ON.

But, improper install is only one possibility. The other is malfunctioning equipment.

my opinion is though, that the OP is trying to cover something stupid up, and trying to blame the remote start.

spike98
09-18-2012, 02:27 PM

my opinion is though, that the OP is trying to cover something stupid up, and trying to blame the remote start.

I get the same feeling haha.

jgall21
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
I walked out of a store and pressed the starter button on the remote... to my horror I watched my car drive into another vehicle(it drove about 30 ft before it hit the other car). That is when I read the instruction booklet and saw the manual transmission mode... which outlines the procedures so you can exit the car with the engine running and key out of the ignition and then press another button to kill the engine which puts it into "ready mode".

Until that point I didn't know the car could start in first gear, and that is when I concluded the installer should have warned me that would happen... or tell me he didn't feel comfortable installing it if he couldn't do it without disable the safety feature on the remote starter.

When I contacted him he told me I needed extra parts and he could fix it for me... then he stopped answering my calls and emails. THEN he says it's my neutral safety switch failing... I tried starting my car in first gear and foot OFF the clutch and it didnt start, I also tried starting in reverse... the car didnt try to turn over.

anyway why would I pay upwards of $400 just so I could watch my car crash into someone else... it's a very uncool situation

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Thats very strange. Incorrect installation for sure. The compustar for example, has recessive mode. You have to leave the car in neutral, set the e-brake, and then leave the vehicle. It shuts itself off AFTER you shut the door and your doorpin registers closed position. If the above steps are not followed, the car will simply not start when asked.

I am aware this is a different alarm starter, but the safety standards should be the same.

dewytrain
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Where did you get it installed?

Also dont the viper system need a manual transmission module or are the newer models equiped to do both?

jgall21
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I had a guy on kijiji do it... Never again. And I did buy the extra module when i bought the viper package.

The problem now is i have to find someone who will verify the install was done incorrectly ( in writing) and is willing to come to court to tell a judge ... Or else the guy who did it gets away with it. so if anyone in the business would be willing to look at it and tell if it was the installer and be willing to help me i would pay for your time.

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
There is a place on 32nd, i think hes beside Top Speed auto. Same plaza as that car wash (forget the name, its after where speedtech used to be...) They are super cool guys, dealt with them a few times and were always super. Maybe go talk to them.

HO2S
09-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes the installer should have told you. But it is your responsibility to read your owners manual and be familiar with how the system works and make sure all of the safety features work before you use it.

There is a reason why shops charge $130 an hour, its because they know what they are doing and will stand behind their work.

Your going to have to get a licensed journeyman to look at it and tell you its in automatic mode and go to court with you. Most installers are not techs and with no formal education they will get ripped apart in court.
Ide be surprised if you could find a tech willing to do that, I know I wouldn't.

Off Kijiji its buyer beware.

jgall21
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
yes, I should have looked through the manual... he showed me how to use it by just pressing the button and I took it at face value. what really busts my chops is that he "guaranteed his install for life", but when I tried to get him to fix it he ducks my calls.

Lesson learned... shell out the money for a proper business to do it and you'll save money in the long run, but for now i am stuck trying to get this rectified.

I guess I find a shop that is willing to help me out and show this guy that its not okay to dick around

HO2S
09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by jgall21
yes, I should have looked through the manual... he showed me how to use it by just pressing the button and I took it at face value. what really busts my chops is that he "guaranteed his install for life", but when I tried to get him to fix it he ducks my calls.

Lesson learned... shell out the money for a proper business to do it and you'll save money in the long run, but for now i am stuck trying to get this rectified.

I guess I find a shop that is willing to help me out and show this guy that its not okay to dick around

I would be very surprised if you could find a shop that will go to court with you. They are opening them self's up to a bunch of liability's, and why would they want to get involved in some one shit storm that they didn't create. If you did manage to find a shop, you would be paying by the hour.
Your going to wast a whole lot of time and money trying to sue the guy. Your best bet it to get if fixed professorially, then tell the guy he is going to pay the bill or you will report him for operating a business with out a licenses. That's apparently a $5000 fine, he will crack and pay up. unless he is a total morn and doesn't realize what he is doing is illegal. In that case you get the satisfaction of fucking him over.

Strider
09-19-2012, 09:14 AM

I think you're jumping too quickly at the chance to start the blame the OP bandwagon.

Reading through the manual for his Viper system, the car needs to be put into a ready mode in order for the remote start to work on a manual transmission car. The only way it would fail is improper installation or a faulty unit. I would 100% place my bet on improper installation.

However, OP should have tested this safety feature before he paid and left.

Originally posted by jgall21
I had a guy on kijiji do it... Never again. And I did buy the extra module when i bought the viper package.

The problem now is i have to find someone who will verify the install was done incorrectly ( in writing) and is willing to come to court to tell a judge ... Or else the guy who did it gets away with it. so if anyone in the business would be willing to look at it and tell if it was the installer and be willing to help me i would pay for your time.

This approach probably won't take you very far. No business will want to spend their time and stick their neck out for you on that.

There's also no way for you to prove that it hasn't been tampered with since the installation.

Sorry to say it, but that's what you get for cheaping out and using Kijiji for something like this. Probably the most you can do at this point is to out him on Beyond and hope that he fesses up to it.

G-ZUS
09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Strider

I think you're jumping too quickly at the chance to start the blame the OP bandwagon.

Reading through the manual for his Viper system, the car needs to be put into a ready mode in order for the remote start to work on a manual transmission car. The only way it would fail is improper installation or a faulty unit. I would 100% place my bet on improper installation.

However, OP should have tested this safety feature before he paid and left.

This approach probably won't take you very far. No business will want to spend their time and stick their neck out for you on that.

There's also no way for you to prove that it hasn't been tampered with since the installation.

Sorry to say it, but that's what you get for cheaping out and using Kijiji for something like this. Probably the most you can do at this point is to out him on Beyond and hope that he fesses up to it.

Threaten to call AMVIC on him?

Tik-Tok
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm rather curious though...

Improper installation or not, what did the OP think would happen when he remote started his car with it in gear?

silvercivicsir
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Vipers come default in Manual Mode and must be changed to Automatic.. So the installer knew exactly what he was doing.. and there are no EXTRA parts needed for a 5speed.. You just need to connect the Ebrake wire and a door trigger or dome light..

Not to be an ass, but honestly you get what you pay for on Kijiji..

Also almost no cars have a Neutral safety .. Only ones I have ever seen are in Nissans ..

Tik-Tok
09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir

Also almost no cars have a Neutral safety .. Only ones I have ever seen are in Nissans ..

Um, wat? ALL manual cars have neutral safety switches (also referred to as clutch safety switch).

silvercivicsir
09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
those are not Neutral safety switches.. those are usually called a Starter interlock. a Neutral safety detects the car is in netural.. whereas the interlock allows you the start the car when the clutch is pressed in.. ((you can start the car in whatever gear you want when the clutch is pressed in)) doesn't have to be in neutral.

Projek01
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Sounds like installer got too lazy to install the clutch safety bypass, tach sense and ebrake wire. Instead he just cut the jumper to enable automatic trans mode. What an idiot... I bet the rest of the install is pretty hacked up

jgall21
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
UPDATE:

Finally found someone who would look at it and is also willing to come to court with me.

He verified that the original install was done incorrectly. Instead of putting the ground to the ebrake he put it directly to the frame of the vehicle, and also set the "brain" as he put it into automatic transmission mode ignoring the shut down sequence required for manual transmission.

If anyone was wondering the original guy who did the install on Kijiji is posting ad's as
M & C installs.