PDA

View Full Version : Some of my Favorite homes/design ideas

JordanLotoski
09-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Thought id share for those building.

http://jordanlotoski.topproducerwebsite.com/design-gallery.asp

bimmere92
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
great idea for a new thread... I was just thinking this. however, your link doesn't work?

I love that Cranston house you posted...

TomcoPDR
01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Is it just me that can't open that link Jordan? I wanna see, I wanna see

JordanLotoski
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
This should work
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/2693895/thumbs/jordanlotoski-s-Favorites

bimmere92
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Being from Edmonton, we rarely see these 'modern - flat roof' type houses. Its like we are a few years behind everyone else... not sure why?

Are they still lumbar/wood construction on a concrete foundation or are they completely concrete?

boarderfatty
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by bimmere92
Being from Edmonton, we rarely see these 'modern - flat roof' type houses. Its like we are a few years behind everyone else... not sure why?

Are they still lumbar/wood construction on a concrete foundation or are they completely concrete?

It depends on where you go I think, there are some sort of crazy flat top houses in Glenora, Victoria Park, Sask Drive area, and some monstrocities in the new Windemere area.

bimmere92
03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

It depends on where you go I think, there are some sort of crazy flat top houses in Glenora, Victoria Park, Sask Drive area, and some monstrocities in the new Windemere area.

Yeah, we have seen a couple in Magrath and Windermere... but there are definately more architectural controls seen in Calgary than Edmonton.

I am looking for some creative ideas for building next year. I want to learn more about the difference in construction and ultimately costs... not sure where to start, if you guys have any ideas, please advise.

mr2mike
09-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Yes, 2 years late but...

After owning a flat roof'd 1960's house and researching it... Flat roof technology has come a long way.
They use a rubberized membrane now that is essentially easy to lay down and less prone to leaks and UV degradation.

The roof trusses in the house I had seemed to be spaced a lot closer together to accompany the added weight of the snow/ice that doesn't instantly melt off a sloped roof.

I'd say, the issues that people used to have with flat roofs have been essentially mitigated and IMO, a newer flat roof is a lot less hassel and cheaper to repair. Albeit, I have not attempted to redo a newer flat roof, but it would appear to be a lot less man hours compared to a shingled roof and can last a lot longer with some minor care (ensuring gravel or what not is protecting that rubber membrane.