PDA

View Full Version : SAIT NDT Course

exade
09-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I am looking into taking the Non-Destructive Testing Foundations course offered at SAIT. Right now I am fresh out of high school pretty much, looking for a good career.

Wondering if there is anyone here who has/is taking this program?

Any information you can provide about the program or the job is much appreciated! What is the pay like, is it easy to find a job after completing the program? :)

Thank you!

spike98
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
My best advice is to take your CEDO, get your safety tickets and get hired on that way. Once your a helper you will learn WAY more than in the SAIT course and they will pay for further schooling.

Pay will be the same either way as you wont actually be ticketed out of the SAIT program. You will write the tests but you still need your hours so you wont be a ticketed tech and you will get paid as such.

Speaking with other companies i hear mixed reviews about the program. The guys i get out here say they like students from the program 50% of the time. A hard worker willing to take direction and learn will succeed far more often than someone schooled and lazy.

syritis
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
agreed. i've tried both pre-employment training as well as apprenticing and believe you me, Sait is a scam. Many trades are in high demand right now. why not get paid to be taught instead of it costing you?

exade
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Would you guys have any suggestions for companies that I could apply with to get hired on with as a helper?

Thank you by the way, great information.

craigcd
09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Acuren, Iris, AM Inspection, Spectra- there are tons of them. I think Acuren may be one of the biggest and most organized.

boarderfatty
09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
It can be a good program, the one benefit to taking the full 2 year program at NAIT is that you can get your CET which may or may not help long run depending on your goals.

NDE is a very good career, but be prepared to spend 80%+ of your working time on the road. I was in NDE and spent a minimum of 20 days a month on the road living out of suitcases on shutdowns, corrosion surveys, line digs etc unless you get onto a decent plant or project with an actual rotation.

The other piece of advice I have is learn as much as you can, dont ever think you know everything, and train under the best tech you can (not necessarily someone who rapes hours or only works gravy but actually knows what they are doing) get as many tickets as you can, it will make you a more valuable asset to a company and keep you working all the time.

I was in NDE for a few years had a good time, made a lot of cash, but got sick of giving up my life, my friends, and my family for a out of town paycheck. I got my UT2, PT2, MT2, CEDO, API 510, API 653, CWB 2, and NACE 2 and there wasn't a day I couldn't have had work as a sub contractor or contractor.

The big companies are ACUREN, they are huge, but I dislike the organization and the way they treat their staff, they hire anyone. RTD, which is also huge, especially internationally, and a better organization imo to work for than ACUREN, IRIS, not as big as RTD or ACUREN, treat their employees like crap for the most part, I do not recommend working for them unless you are desperate. TEAM is also huge, but doesn't have much for a Calgary base, UT QUALITY which is huge for automated pipeline UT. Personally I would recommend trying to start out with a smaller company like WAVE inspections, they are not a big union company, but you will work alongside some of the best techs in the business learn a shit load and make yourself a better tech and more valuable in the long run.

If you have any questions about getting tickets, which companies to work for etc feel free to ask, I have a decent chunk of knowledge and have worked for probably 15 or 20 companies as an employee, sub contractor, or contractor.

spike98
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
..... API 510, API 653....

How was the 653 compaired to the 510? I hit the 510 first try but it was still a tough test. I have heard the 653 is much easier, would you say that is true?

exade
09-19-2012, 10:28 AM
It can be a good program, the one benefit to taking the full 2 year program at NAIT is that you can get your CET which may or may not help long run depending on your goals.

NDE is a very good career, but be prepared to spend 80%+ of your working time on the road. I was in NDE and spent a minimum of 20 days a month on the road living out of suitcases on shutdowns, corrosion surveys, line digs etc unless you get onto a decent plant or project with an actual rotation.

The other piece of advice I have is learn as much as you can, dont ever think you know everything, and train under the best tech you can (not necessarily someone who rapes hours or only works gravy but actually knows what they are doing) get as many tickets as you can, it will make you a more valuable asset to a company and keep you working all the time.

I was in NDE for a few years had a good time, made a lot of cash, but got sick of giving up my life, my friends, and my family for a out of town paycheck. I got my UT2, PT2, MT2, CEDO, API 510, API 653, CWB 2, and NACE 2 and there wasn't a day I couldn't have had work as a sub contractor or contractor.

The big companies are ACUREN, they are huge, but I dislike the organization and the way they treat their staff, they hire anyone. RTD, which is also huge, especially internationally, and a better organization imo to work for than ACUREN, IRIS, not as big as RTD or ACUREN, treat their employees like crap for the most part, I do not recommend working for them unless you are desperate. TEAM is also huge, but doesn't have much for a Calgary base, UT QUALITY which is huge for automated pipeline UT. Personally I would recommend trying to start out with a smaller company like WAVE inspections, they are not a big union company, but you will work alongside some of the best techs in the business learn a shit load and make yourself a better tech and more valuable in the long run.

If you have any questions about getting tickets, which companies to work for etc feel free to ask, I have a decent chunk of knowledge and have worked for probably 15 or 20 companies as an employee, sub contractor, or contractor.

Awesome information, thank you.

The program I was looking at with SAIT is 15 weeks.

Could you give me some information about money? What the average guy would make the first year and then maybe after you've been doing it for 5 or so years?

Thanks!

BlueManiac
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I just took this program last spring and to be 100% honest it was laughably easy. I hardly did anything and I got a 4.0 gpa in quite a few of the courses.

i am looking for a job right now- if you want to go up north its super easy to find them, though if u want to stay in town its a little harder.. thats what I am trying to do lol

SO- TEH PAY
it goes up in increments based on your ticket level. after the program you start as a trainee and can get ur next ticket about 3 months after being in the field w/ a CGSB level 1 exam [that sometimes your company will pay for lol]

So a rough idea is something like this..
Trainee: Usually between $18-$21
Level 1: Usually between $23-$26
Level 2: usually between $28-$32
Level 3: $35 or higher

Its been a while since ive checked the exact numbers but that will getcha in the ball park

if you work your ass off, you can get your lvl 2 ticket in a year

exade
09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by BlueManiac
I just took this program last spring and to be 100% honest it was laughably easy. I hardly did anything and I got a 4.0 gpa in quite a few of the courses.

i am looking for a job right now- if you want to go up north its super easy to find them, though if u want to stay in town its a little harder.. thats what I am trying to do lol

SO- TEH PAY
it goes up in increments based on your ticket level. after the program you start as a trainee and can get ur next ticket about 3 months after being in the field w/ a CGSB level 1 exam [that sometimes your company will pay for lol]

So a rough idea is something like this..
Trainee: Usually between $18-$21
Level 1: Usually between $23-$26
Level 2: usually between $28-$32
Level 3: $35 or higher

Its been a while since ive checked the exact numbers but that will getcha in the ball park

if you work your ass off, you can get your lvl 2 ticket in a year

What benefits do you get over someone that chose not to take the program? Obviously you would know more going in to your first job, and maybe get more money. But in terms of other things, do you need less work experience to write exams, which would result in getting your tickets faster. Stuff like that. :)

Thank you very much for the information.

boarderfatty
09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by spike98

How was the 653 compaired to the 510? I hit the 510 first try but it was still a tough test. I have heard the 653 is much easier, would you say that is true?

653 was easier but you have to watch out, I took the course with Mark Smith in the states which teaches, as with most other courses to 650 specs which is new construction not maint. the codes for maint and new construction have quite a few parts where specs contradict each other. I say take the course but study the shit out of the 653 code and make sure you know where the differences are or you will get fucked thinking 650 code when it is different from 653.

boarderfatty
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by exade

What benefits do you get over someone that chose not to take the program? Obviously you would know more going in to your first job, and maybe get more money. But in terms of other things, do you need less work experience to write exams, which would result in getting your tickets faster. Stuff like that. :)

Thank you very much for the information.

First off those pay rates arent correct if you work for a union company, look at the nde union handbook for rates, I dont have one on me at the moment but they are stages but these are fairly accurate as of the last time I checked in 2008

Trainee - 18

Cedo - 21

Level 1 (MT2 and PT2 only count as level 1, both together is one level 2) 28

Level 2 - 32

Level 2 + 1 - 35

Level 2 + 2 - 38

Supervisor - 42

having your CEDO will add a couple bucks, to any rate, MT2 and PT2 only count as a level 1 each individually or as 1 level 2 combined where as RT1 or UT 1 count as a level 1 individually or RT2 or UT2 count as a level 2 individually. There are no union rates for level 3's a union company can pay you more for a level 3 or if you are a valuable level 2 but it is rare. Also with level 3 you usually leave the union and become a salaried office employee doing paperwork. regular time for first 8hrs, 1.5 time from 8-10 hours. double time for 10+ hours, Double time all saturday, sunday, or holidays. if you dont get an 8hr break inbetween shifts you are on strait double time. if you are out of town you get $130/day living allowance, or hotel + 60 for food I believe, and $20 for every OT meal, 1 for every 2 hours past 12hr work days all tax free.

I myself stayed union when I was a CEDO, MT2, PT2, UT2. THe moment I got my API 510 I started my own company and sub contracted for $75/hr and 1.5 for all OT and weekends. When I got my CWB2, API 653, and NACE 2 I had an hourly rate of between 85-100/hr depending on the job, work, and company or a day rate of 1500/day. I charged this in addition to $1.25 per km I put on my truck, $130/day living allowance or hotel +65 for meals. Depending on the jobs and hours yearly income can vary drastically, I knew CEDO's making 21/hr, but get on a pipeline over winter and clock 12-30hr days (yes in NDE there are such things as 30hr days) and after all allowances were taking home 120k/yr after taxes. Come January, they would go up north dissapear into the bush for 120 days strait, and come back 80k richer. Its all about the type of work you want to do, The hours you want to put in, and where you are willing to go.

In 2008 I billed out 332 days of work, and put 80,000km on my truck, every job was out of town. I was doing shutdown work almost exclusively for one company so I bought a house to put my living allowance against and rented out 3 other rooms to other workers, so I made about 700k that year, but again I had to pay for my own truck, gas, maintenance, equipment, food, house, RSP's etc.

Really if you get ticketed up enough the sky is the limit as far as earning potential goes, especially if you start your own company and have employees. There was was on friend I worked for that was similarly ticketed, had his own company where he got subcontractors working for him, took $10 of their hourly wage charged to the client, the sub go the rest, so worked out well for every one. He bills out guy at $100/hr, gives the guy $90/hr, he collects $10/hr for basically doing nothing except having contacts and guys to fill jobs.

I had 2 really good years as a contractor, and 3 as a union employee. I made enough to semi retire at 23, have my porsche, my house paid off, go to University and finish my finance degree without worrying about getting a job or taking loans and still come out with a very healthy savings. Some guys like to stay as employees though at their 2+2 rate with double time, the best benefits package I have ever heard of, and a pension that contributes $5/hr regular time and $10/hr overtime to your pension which is quite a lot.

Again best piece of advice I have is get ticketed up as fast and heavily as possible. I challenged my CEDO, UT2, MT2 and PT2 before I even worked a day in NDE. got a job right away after passing and worked off my hours. The company I worked for love me because I was basically a CEDO, UT2, MT2, PT2 and they only had to pay me CEDO rate SO I got all the hours I could imagine for my first year and in that first year had enough hours clocked to sign off on my tickets which normally take 2 years worth or hours.

exade
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM

First off those pay rates arent correct if you work for a union company, look at the nde union handbook for rates, I dont have one on me at the moment but they are stages but these are fairly accurate as of the last time I checked in 2008

Trainee - 18

Cedo - 21

Level 1 (MT2 and PT2 only count as level 1, both together is one level 2) 28

Level 2 - 32

Level 2 + 1 - 35

Level 2 + 2 - 38

Supervisor - 42

having your CEDO will add a couple bucks, to any rate, MT2 and PT2 only count as a level 1 each individually or as 1 level 2 combined where as RT1 or UT 1 count as a level 1 individually or RT2 or UT2 count as a level 2 individually. There are no union rates for level 3's a union company can pay you more for a level 3 or if you are a valuable level 2 but it is rare. Also with level 3 you usually leave the union and become a salaried office employee doing paperwork. regular time for first 8hrs, 1.5 time from 8-10 hours. double time for 10+ hours, Double time all saturday, sunday, or holidays. if you dont get an 8hr break inbetween shifts you are on strait double time. if you are out of town you get $130/day living allowance, or hotel + 60 for food I believe, and $20 for every OT meal, 1 for every 2 hours past 12hr work days all tax free.

I myself stayed union when I was a CEDO, MT2, PT2, UT2. THe moment I got my API 510 I started my own company and sub contracted for $75/hr and 1.5 for all OT and weekends. When I got my CWB2, API 653, and NACE 2 I had an hourly rate of between 85-100/hr depending on the job, work, and company or a day rate of 1500/day. I charged this in addition to $1.25 per km I put on my truck, $130/day living allowance or hotel +65 for meals. Depending on the jobs and hours yearly income can vary drastically, I knew CEDO's making 21/hr, but get on a pipeline over winter and clock 12-30hr days (yes in NDE there are such things as 30hr days) and after all allowances were taking home 120k/yr after taxes. Come January, they would go up north dissapear into the bush for 120 days strait, and come back 80k richer. Its all about the type of work you want to do, The hours you want to put in, and where you are willing to go.

In 2008 I billed out 332 days of work, and put 80,000km on my truck, every job was out of town. I was doing shutdown work almost exclusively for one company so I bought a house to put my living allowance against and rented out 3 other rooms to other workers, so I made about 700k that year, but again I had to pay for my own truck, gas, maintenance, equipment, food, house, RSP's etc.

Really if you get ticketed up enough the sky is the limit as far as earning potential goes, especially if you start your own company and have employees. There was was on friend I worked for that was similarly ticketed, had his own company where he got subcontractors working for him, took $10 of their hourly wage charged to the client, the sub go the rest, so worked out well for every one. He bills out guy at $100/hr, gives the guy $90/hr, he collects $10/hr for basically doing nothing except having contacts and guys to fill jobs.

I had 2 really good years as a contractor, and 3 as a union employee. I made enough to semi retire at 23, have my porsche, my house paid off, go to University and finish my finance degree without worrying about getting a job or taking loans and still come out with a very healthy savings. Some guys like to stay as employees though at their 2+2 rate with double time, the best benefits package I have ever heard of, and a pension that contributes $5/hr regular time and $10/hr overtime to your pension which is quite a lot.

Again best piece of advice I have is get ticketed up as fast and heavily as possible. I challenged my CEDO, UT2, MT2 and PT2 before I even worked a day in NDE. got a job right away after passing and worked off my hours. The company I worked for love me because I was basically a CEDO, UT2, MT2, PT2 and they only had to pay me CEDO rate SO I got all the hours I could imagine for my first year and in that first year had enough hours clocked to sign off on my tickets which normally take 2 years worth or hours.

Did you take any kind of schooling, like the 15 week certificate program at SAIT, or did you just start working right away? Great information by the way, helps a lot.

spike98
09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Boarderfatty is pretty much spot on. I think the rates have increased a buck or two however.

The potential to make some good money is there but as you can see you have to work your bag off. 332 days?! Fuck that shit. I work 8 hours a day monday to friday with ~4 weeks of holidays lol.

If you are single, take the course, pack a bag and head north.

If you aren't and/or have kids, book the cedo course and get on as a hand with a local company, put in your time, and work up from there.

exade
09-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Boarderfatty is pretty much spot on. I think the rates have increased a buck or two however.

The potential to make some good money is there but as you can see you have to work your bag off. 332 days?! Fuck that shit. I work 8 hours a day monday to friday with ~4 weeks of holidays lol.

If you are single, take the course, pack a bag and head north.

If you aren't and/or have kids, book the cedo course and get on as a hand with a local company, put in your time, and work up from there.

Thanks for the info spike! I am still young and single, and have no problem working my bag off for now. :)

boarderfatty
09-21-2012, 11:52 PM

Did you take any kind of schooling, like the 15 week certificate program at SAIT, or did you just start working right away? Great information by the way, helps a lot.

I didn't take the course but that is because my uncle was the operations manager for a large NDE company at the time, and had experience playing with UT sets, Dye, and mag benches hanging around the shop, so I felt pretty confident in my knowledge prior to challenging my courses and getting a job. The 15 week program isn't a bad idea, first because you can use the hours in your program towards your tickets. Second the program teaches you the ways to inspect the way they will expect you to know for your CGSB exams. Third bigger companies will be a little better about hiring you as you seem a little more motivated than joe schmoe who walk in off the street looking for a pay check. 4th if you have 0 experience in NDE prior to working, it will give you a good general understanding of the work, how the equipment works, etc so when you start you aren't uber green. Lastly If you know nothing about NDE it will give you a taste of all fields UT, RT, PT, and MT, so you can plan out a career path and which area you want to work in so you dont start somewhere in a field, get stuck there when its really not where you want to be. I have seen guys get stuck on pipeline RT for a year and even though they want to get into UT and corrosion surveys, their experience in in pipeline RT so that where their company keeps sending them.

boarderfatty
09-21-2012, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info spike! I am still young and single, and have no problem working my bag off for now. :)

One thing you will learn in NDE is that it is a big game of hurry up and wait. It is probably one of the least physically strenuous field jobs in the oil field. Working my bag off to me was, getting a call at 8pm telling me I had to be on an 8am flight to Norman Wells to inspect a single weld, siting on site for 3 days for some monkey to learn how to lay a decent root and twiddle my thumbs in the middle of nowhere for about 2 hours worth of inspection and paper work. You don't really get that dirty, you dont really have to lift or carry anything heavy etc. just get used to isolation, weeks on end away from home, dealing with boredom, and doing lots of paperwork. Even in a shutdown environment which is probably the most "high stress" environment for NDE, you will be sitting around for 1/2 your day waiting for scaffolders, maintenance workers, or welders.

exade
09-22-2012, 10:09 AM

One thing you will learn in NDE is that it is a big game of hurry up and wait. It is probably one of the least physically strenuous field jobs in the oil field. Working my bag off to me was, getting a call at 8pm telling me I had to be on an 8am flight to Norman Wells to inspect a single weld, siting on site for 3 days for some monkey to learn how to lay a decent root and twiddle my thumbs in the middle of nowhere for about 2 hours worth of inspection and paper work. You don't really get that dirty, you dont really have to lift or carry anything heavy etc. just get used to isolation, weeks on end away from home, dealing with boredom, and doing lots of paperwork. Even in a shutdown environment which is probably the most "high stress" environment for NDE, you will be sitting around for 1/2 your day waiting for scaffolders, maintenance workers, or welders.

At the moment I feel that I will enjoy traveling around to work. The main things I am interested in is good money and little to no full-time schooling. Thanks for all the information boarderfatty you are a great help. :)

boarderfatty
09-22-2012, 10:35 PM

At the moment I feel that I will enjoy traveling around to work. The main things I am interested in is good money and little to no full-time schooling. Thanks for all the information boarderfatty you are a great help. :)

There is traveling for work, then there is traveling for O & G Field work. Always having a suitcase packed, leaving with only a few hours notice, living in camps and hotels for undetermined periods of time can be rough, especially when the travel is to places like Fort Nelson, Grande Cache, Fort Mac, Southern saskatchewan etc. One of the bigger reasons I left the job

exade
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM

There is traveling for work, then there is traveling for O & G Field work. Always having a suitcase packed, leaving with only a few hours notice, living in camps and hotels for undetermined periods of time can be rough, especially when the travel is to places like Fort Nelson, Grande Cache, Fort Mac, Southern saskatchewan etc. One of the bigger reasons I left the job

Well I am still young, and I think I will enjoy it, at least for a little while anyway. :) You have been a great help boarder thank you! Anything else about the NDT career path you have to share feel free, more the better.

EDIT: Actually if you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons you left the job, other than always living out of a suitcase in hotels and camps?

boarderfatty
09-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Well I am still young, and I think I will enjoy it, at least for a little while anyway. :) You have been a great help boarder thank you! Anything else about the NDT career path you have to share feel free, more the better.

EDIT: Actually if you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons you left the job, other than always living out of a suitcase in hotels and camps?

Like I said if you have the opportunity take the course, plan out the way you want your career to go, get on as a helper with a good tech, make as many connections as possible (its an old boys club industry and pretty small and you will later rely on your contacts for work) lastly get as ticketed up as possible.

The reason I quit was mainly for the reason stated above. Living out of a suitcase, being home a max of four days a month, never knowing when those 4 days were going to be or if you were going to get them, missing out on my friends family etc. Basically I was giving up my life for a pay check and I decided at that point the pay check was not big enough to validate giving it up. Also I was managing the quality program for power plant shutdowns. I basically supervised the NDE Crew, Oversaw the data entry team. Monitered the QC database I created, verified info techs brought me, made reports, trended corrosion. went to morning meetings, and dealt with client management. I was a good inspector, like really good, and I was not able to inspect. Instead I got frustrated by employees and clients who didn't respect me because of my age.

boarderfatty
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Actually I totally forgot, if you dont want to do the course but want a little more insight, got take your CWB level 1 weld inspection course. It is more QC oriented but covers a bit of all areas in NDE, it is 2 weeks and at the end you write your exam, I dont think you need any experience to get it, it costs about $1500-2000 including your books and exam fees (need an eye exam still) You wont get a higher union rate then helper since the union doesnt recognize the CWB tickets, but can be handy to have and will make you look better to NDE companies

exade
09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Actually I totally forgot, if you dont want to do the course but want a little more insight, got take your CWB level 1 weld inspection course. It is more QC oriented but covers a bit of all areas in NDE, it is 2 weeks and at the end you write your exam, I dont think you need any experience to get it, it costs about $1500-2000 including your books and exam fees (need an eye exam still) You wont get a higher union rate then helper since the union doesnt recognize the CWB tickets, but can be handy to have and will make you look better to NDE companies

Do you know of any companies that hire helpers/labourers on with no course and no work experience to just learn on the job. That would be ideal as I could be bringing money in and gaining experience at the same time.

Thanks again for all the information.

boarderfatty
09-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Do you know of any companies that hire helpers/labourers on with no course and no work experience to just learn on the job. That would be ideal as I could be bringing money in and gaining experience at the same time.

Thanks again for all the information.

Yes most companies will bring in someone green with no experience and knowledge or education, but they will bring on someone with it before you. They have to invest a decent chunk of money getting your certificates such as H2S, Fall Arrest, Confined Space, First Aid, etc. to invest in paying you two weeks wages to get these certs plus the cost of courses themselves and have the person flake out is something they dont always want to risk. If you have the SAIT course done or a CWB 1 or something they will be more inclined to spend the money getting you your certs. You could always start by getting some of your certs like first aid and H2S and stuff which would also help in getting hired.

exade
09-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Yes most companies will bring in someone green with no experience and knowledge or education, but they will bring on someone with it before you. They have to invest a decent chunk of money getting your certificates such as H2S, Fall Arrest, Confined Space, First Aid, etc. to invest in paying you two weeks wages to get these certs plus the cost of courses themselves and have the person flake out is something they dont always want to risk. If you have the SAIT course done or a CWB 1 or something they will be more inclined to spend the money getting you your certs. You could always start by getting some of your certs like first aid and H2S and stuff which would also help in getting hired.

I have several certificates at the moment. H2S, CSTS, PST, WHMIS and OSSA. Was working as a labourer before I moved and had to get them for that. I will start looking around at some companies and applying. Thank you.