PDA

View Full Version : Looking for short jack posts or alternative

maxflat
09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where to get jack posts (also called telescoping support columns, adjustable support columns, lolly posts...) for a residential basement crawl space that can go as low as 26 inches? I've been calling every building supply place I can find and the shortest I've heard of are 36".

Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, anyone know what builders usually do for spaces that small? Currently the posts are wood 2x6s nailed together which are not in that great shape. I'd also like to raise the beam up a bit as the house has settled, I'm not sure how to do that if I put in new wood posts. I would definitely prefer steel over wood too.

Thanks in advance,

raceman6135
09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't know if they come shorter than 36", but since it's just mild steel tubing, it's easily cut with a chop saw or even a reciprocating saw (provided you can cut it fairly square).

You could stay with wood posts and just use a short hydraulic jack (sometimes called a bottle jack) to lift to your desired height and then cut the new wood to fit.

A 2 ton bottle jack will cost between $15 and $20 at Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, etc.

http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00KBSEbjolCHuT/Hydraulic-Jack-Bottle-Jack-Double-Piston-Bottle-Jack.jpg

maxflat
09-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks, simple but effective. I like it.