PDA

View Full Version : Grrr....I HATE tile manufacturer designers!



C_Dave45
09-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Who comes up with this shit?!!!! Friggin tile is 24x48"...yes FOUR FEET LONG!!!!!
Each tile weighs almost 40 lbs!! And I have to put this onto a ceiling as well!!!! In one entire master ensuite bathroom, there are only 3 pieces that aren't cuts. Which means each piece requires taking it down 2 flights of stairs, outside to cut, and back up again. "Uh....need a hair shaved off this corner" Back down again...

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://i49.tinypic.com/33trzgp.jpg

frozenrice
09-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Nice looking tile though. Just curious, how do you get it to stick to the ceiling while the thinset dries?

C_Dave45
09-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Nice looking tile though. Just curious, how do you get it to stick to the ceiling while the thinset dries?

That's the problem...people are LOVING this stuff!! I had to go out and buy a $2500 specialty tile saw just to cut the damn stuff.

Sticking it to the ceiling is tricky. Proper thinset consistancy and complete, 100% coverage. Oh and a hard hat!

Graham_A_M
09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
hahaha. Sorry.
there are only 3 pieces that aren't cuts. Which means each piece requires taking it down 2 flights of stairs, outside to cut, and back up again. "Uh....need a hair shaved off this corner" Back down again... :rofl:

You should hire some young guns for helpers. You're getting a bit old to be doing this sort of shit Dave.

Im sure the end result must look spectacular. Please post some pics when you're done. Would you charge more for a 24x48 ceiling just because of the extra work involved?

C_Dave45
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
hahaha. Sorry. :rofl:

You should hire some young guns for helpers. You're getting a bit old to be doing this sort of shit Dave.

Im sure the end result must look spectacular. Please post some pics when you're done. Would you charge more for a 24x48 ceiling just because of the extra work involved?

No way in hell would I trust some kid to haul down a $120 piece of tile and not put a tiny chip into one corner. Just touching it against anything hard will chip the glaze. It's either me or my son. I'm still limping with the broken foot, so it's really fun.

Yeah, I'll take proper pics when it's all done. Charge more? Hell yeah!!! lol. This bathroom won't be cheap. Going into an infill in Kensington.

guessboi
09-20-2012, 08:04 PM
OMG that tile is massive. Why can't you cut it inside? Everything else all finished?

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
OMG that tile is massive. Why can't you cut it inside? Everything else all finished?

Wet saw in a house..... Bad idea lol

ianmcc
09-21-2012, 04:56 AM
And to cut that tile would require a BIG wet saw.

Sugarphreak
09-21-2012, 06:08 AM
lol, holy crap that is a huge tile....

....I want it for my house too, who makes it :D

CanmoreOrLess
09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
On the upside Dave, once these tiles get big enough, you will only need to set a few instead of hundreds.

lilmira
09-21-2012, 07:57 AM
It would freak me out to have a 40lb tile over my head being held by thinset. Not saying that it's unsafe, it just gives me the same feeling as walking on glass.

CapnCrunch
09-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45


That's the problem...people are LOVING this stuff!! I had to go out and buy a $2500 specialty tile saw just to cut the damn stuff.

Sticking it to the ceiling is tricky. Proper thinset consistancy and complete, 100% coverage. Oh and a hard hat!

Shitty. I have a hard enough time getting 12X12 tiles to stay on the roof lol.

clem24
09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Holy shit.. What are the chances that the adhesive fails and this thing comes crashing down?!?!?

JRSC00LUDE
09-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Shitty. I have a hard enough time getting 12X12 tiles to stay on the roof lol.

Most people use shingles or shakes..... ;)

colinxx235
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE


Most people use shingles or shakes..... ;)


:rofl: :rofl:

DENZILDON
09-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Dang, you might end up jacking that up and let it adhere and dry up! Good luck Dave!

C_Dave45
09-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Dang, you might end up jacking that up and let it adhere and dry up! Good luck Dave!
Nah. Thinset will hold it up fine.

[Yu]
09-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the laugh this morning Dave!

I applaud your love and dedication to the craft.

AndyL
09-22-2012, 10:07 AM
And I thought those 30" sq tiles made for Ferrari dealers we're ugly (don't ask... and I broke one while drilling it for a lift... that was expensive)

InRich
09-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Thats like something I would have you do ;)

Sugarphreak
09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Most people use shingles or shakes..... ;)

CapnCrunch is just extra baller :rofl:

C_Dave45
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Thats like something I would have you do ;)

Hahaha...I would have made you buy me the saw I need!!
;)

CapnCrunch
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak


CapnCrunch is just extra baller :rofl:

I'm just sick of hail damage. :dunno: