PDA

View Full Version : c5 vette vs 996 porsche

ddduke
09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm currently looking to purchase either a 996 or c5. Want it to be my winter project and have most of my build done by next spring.

I'm going to be looking at 99-2002 models, for porsche I won't be going turbo or awd.

I'm thinking the vette is much more mod friendly and cheaper to maintain. But I would much rather have a porsche based on styling and interior.

What do you guys think? Common problems? Past experiences? m.alex, didn't you own both? It won't be a daily driver as I already have a sedan, bike and truck.

Graham_A_M
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Go with the Vette. Its NOTHING to maintain & own. Mods are piss cheap on it anyway. The Porsche? not so much. :nut:

Im rocking an LS2 in my '38, and wow, its SO cheap to make stupid HP. :nut: Cool part is? its the most reliable big HP gains I've ever done. The Porsche? lol dont even bother.

M.alex
09-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes. Porsche - horrible. Slow, uninspiring, unresponsive(ish) to mods. Would not own again.

i have my c5 z06 and 6yrs later I still love it. I prefer the styling of it to the C6, so have no desire to 'upgrade'. It's probably one of the better production cars I've owned - responds well to mods, fairly cheap to insure, decent fuel economy, easy to work on. It's also been very reliable.

I would go with a c5z hands down. And as always with a corvette, z06/zr1 or bust.

InRich
09-20-2012, 10:20 PM
go for the vette, i'd get a c6 though if i were u

calgaryrally88
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
The problem with the Corvette in my experiences and from where I live is that you will be surrounded and have to deal with blue collar and scummy types. The Porsche is another level and is easilly moddable (ha is that even a word??), Corvettes blend in and don't get a second look or even if they are modded it looks like you are painting the lips of a pig. Porsches can look classy, get you the girl, and maintain the respect that you deserve. Good luck.

ddduke
09-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by calgaryrally88
The problem with the Corvette in my experiences and from where I live is that you will be surrounded and have to deal with blue collar and scummy types. The Porsche is another level and is easilly moddable (ha is that even a word??), Corvettes blend in and don't get a second look or even if they are modded it looks like you are painting the lips of a pig. Porsches can look classy, get you the girl, and maintain the respect that you deserve. Good luck.

This is exactly the problem I'm dealing with. While I absolutely love how easy/cheap modding the vette is and how much more I'd enjoy driving it, I also want something a bit classier and more refined.

I already own a lifted f350 so me getting a vette would really fit me into a certain type of mold.

xrayvsn
09-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Go for the C5Z06 since you are not planning on the turbo 996. There is a known issue with rear main seal leaks and intermediate shaft failures on the non turbo/GT3 models.

GOnSHO
09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
only person who is gonna put you in that "mold" is you..

if you enjoy driving your vehicles, it shouldnt matter what they are.

Im in the same boat as you, drive a truck and looking to purchase a vette this coming spring!! cant wait!

Vette for sure!

Kloubek
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I've owned a C5 and a Boxster (no, it's not a 996 but it has similar handling, interior, driving dynamics and styling)

While I did like the Boxster and the biggest issue was the lack of power, I also found that I wouldn't be super thrilled by it even if it had more power. The interior is ho-hum (though you're dealing with a downgrade moving into the C5). Parts are expensive... even the oil filters. There are some issues with the engines except for the later models. They are small and cramped imo.

What I did like about my boxster is the open top which totally changes the driving experience far and away what a simple sunroof would do for you. With the C5, you have a very easy to remove targa or a convertible option if you so desire. It is far more roomy inside and there is no substitute for American torque.

It's up to you, but given the choice, my money would go into the Corvette. Besides what I've already mentioned, the engine can be upgraded far easier than Porsche which makes sense if you're looking for something to tinker with.

boarderfatty
09-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I know you said this is a winter project, but what are your intentions with this vehicle come summer? As a 996 owner I have had a blast with mine, for a serious road course car a 996 c2 can be a serious contender. If you are looking to squeal tires, run between red lights, a big HP build go for the Corvette. Corvette's arent half bad on a track either, but there is something magical about a porsche.

Get a C2, add new flywheel and clutch, while you are down there d a LN engineering ims bearing retrofit, coils, slicks, plenum, intake, exhaust, chip, half cage, seat and harness and you will have an awesome track car.

I would suggest visiting the rennlist forums, specifically the 996 forum, and the performance and competition forums. There is a reason most of the track whores run C2, C2s, and GT3's, not C4s's or turbos, the C2 platform is awesome for the track

boarderfatty
09-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
[B]I've owned a C5 and a Boxster (no, it's not a 996 but it has similar handling, interior, driving dynamics and styling)

You can say what you want about the 986, but the mid mounted engine changes the balance, handling and driving dynamic quite drastically imo and most porsche enthusiasts. Having a roof that stiffens everything up quite a bit, again why you see more track cars with roofs than without, and why the sunroof delete option is the most highly desired among the C2 track guys

Sugarphreak
09-21-2012, 12:14 AM

962 kid
09-21-2012, 12:27 AM
3.4l 996 with a fabspeed is a pretty fun car, likes to rev and slow enough you can spend quite some time on throttle before you have to start worrying about your license. Lots of common-ish issues, but the IMS failures are very uncommon locally contrary to what the forums say. The interior hasn't aged well but it looks leaps and bounds nicer than the c5 rental car dash.

Neil4Speed
09-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I havn't driven either, so take this view from an outsiders view.

No offence to C5 owners, but personally I think the styling on the C5 is dated and gives off a guy in the "old corvette" vibe. That feeling would be significantly perpetuated if anyone where to sit inside which seems like it was borrowed from the Malibu of the era.

One thing that I noticed about Porsche's is that they never go through that stage of dude bought an "old porsche", it just goes from new to classic, and is a positive statement piece all through its lifespan. Granted the interior on the early model 996 is a bit spartan looking, but well put together.

Speed is one thing, both cars are quick, but think about how it makes you feel, both in open throttle on an empty country road, or driving on memorial drive at 50km/h.

C6's are different stories all together, if we were talking about a late model (non turbo) 996 vs a C6, I would take the C6.

tawheed
09-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't know much about Corvettes but with a 996/986 (non-turbo and non-gt3) you always have potential of IMS (catastrophic) failure. Porsche used these from about 1999-2008. Only in the 997.2 DFI motors did they change their design altogether.

That being said LN Engineering does make an IMS retrofit for the M96 (up to about 05) models that can be put in at a cost of around $2500 installed which is SUPPOSED to alleviate the issue. However, even with that fixed, if/when anything goes wrong with a Porsche, it's anything but cheap. I had a 986S and though I found the lowest mileage, local car I could, within a year I ended up losing about $10k on it.

Hallowed_point
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
I also love the C5 styling and definitely prefer it to the C6. I don't think it looks dated at all :dunno: If the Corvette comes with a blue collar crowd , then the Porsche comes with the yuppie twat crowd. Which is worse? :poosie:

I'd say go C5 z06 :thumbsup:

Kloubek
09-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

You can say what you want about the 986, but the mid mounted engine changes the balance, handling and driving dynamic quite drastically imo and most porsche enthusiasts. Having a roof that stiffens everything up quite a bit, again why you see more track cars with roofs than without, and why the sunroof delete option is the most highly desired among the C2 track guys

Of course a roof is preferable on the track, but I don't think he said he was looking for a track car.

Additionally, I've read at least one valid article where the testers tended to *prefer* the handling of the boxster over the 996 due to the mid-engine as opposed to rear-placed engine. I have driven the 996 (albeit a few years ago before I owned the Boxster) and I thought the feel was really quite similar. Perhaps my memory got the better of me.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting the Porsche down; they are fantastic cars. But for my money, I think I'd prefer the Vette.

euro_racer
09-21-2012, 09:08 AM
on my 3rd vette at the moment (c5z, c6, c6z). absolutely love/d each and every one of them! best bang for buck, great fun and surprising fuel mileage, the overall quality is what it is being a GM product BUT you don't buy a vette for the quality (mind you it is very reliable!)...over all, you get alot of car for your money.

also, like mentioned the c5's are starting to look dated so unless you are getting a z06, i'd go for a c6

heavyD
09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by calgaryrally88 The problem with the Corvette in my experiences and from where I live is that you will be surrounded and have to deal with blue collar and scummy types. The Porsche is another level and is easilly moddable (ha is that even a word??), Corvettes blend in and don't get a second look or even if they are modded it looks like you are painting the lips of a pig. Porsches can look classy, get you the girl, and maintain the respect that you deserve. Good luck.

I agree. It can be tortureous dealing with the average Joe. Us elite folk need to stick with our own kind.:facepalm:

dirtsniffer
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
ignore the troll bro

msommers
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
The only corvette I'd consider and mod to look like: Supervette ZR6X

http://www.corvette-wheels.com/images/zr6x-6.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2010/10/zr6x_corvette_12.jpg

If you're wanting to get attention, get the Porsche and leave it at that. If you're wanting it for the driving experience, speed and handling character, test drive them both and see which you like more.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Working at GM I'd say take the Porsche unless you could afford and wait for the new C7.

Cody D
09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Corvettes always feel like I'm sitting in a truck when I drive them just a horrible seating position, they have great power and handling and are so easily modifiable. The problem for me is they don't appeal to me on any level, where as the Porsche after owning three 911's I am still in love with them, although I'm not a fan of the 996's (purely for cosmetic reasons) I prefer the 90's 911's (964 and 993) the 996's are still great cars. Don't expect to mod the Carrera 2 and get Corvette performance out of it though, if you wan to go fast you'll need a turbo model.

r3ccOs
09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Cody D
Corvettes always feel like I'm sitting in a truck when I drive them just a horrible seating position, they have great power and handling and are so easily modifiable. The problem for me is they don't appeal to me on any level, where as the Porsche after owning three 911's I am still in love with them, although I'm not a fan of the 996's (purely for cosmetic reasons) I prefer the 90's 911's (964 and 993) the 996's are still great cars. Don't expect to mod the Carrera 2 and get Corvette performance out of it though, if you wan to go fast you'll need a turbo model.

993 FTW...

its all about what you are buying the car for...
My friend's Z06 moves like stink, yes it handles well, but its not a "easy" car to drive fast.
I swear the steering wheel is the same one they use in the colbalt

ddduke
09-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by InRich
go for the vette, i'd get a c6 though if i were u

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Working at GM I'd say take the Porsche unless you could afford and wait for the new C7.

Not a fan of the c6 at all. I'm looking at a z06 for sure and with the savings from getting a c5, I'm going to be able to afford quite a bit of quality mods.

I'm also planning on buying outright instead of HELOC'ing so the c7 is out of the question unless I sell my truck or car which is not happening. I'm also waiting until the the middle of winter to upgrade to a street glide so budget is a big thing to me.

SideSwipe
09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

993 FTW...

its all about what you are buying the car for...
My friend's Z06 moves like stink, yes it handles well, but its not a "easy" car to drive fast.
I swear the steering wheel is the same one they use in the colbalt

Between a Z06 and porsche, The porsche is the one that defiantly isn't easy to drive fast. You have a huge mass sticking off the ass end of the car. Oversteer can be... well.... ass squeezing.

Steering wheel is kinda the same but who gives a shit. Swap it out. Steering wheels are cheap.

Not surrounded by "blue collar" scummy type. That's just... internet I guess. Not losing respect (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean). And most certainly will get a second look, as much of a look as any other sports car. I mean, if we were comparing two cars, one of which was actually more visually shocking(?), then yes, I guess the vette wouldn't get a second look. Either way, I see more porsches than I do corvettes (Z06 and GS) anyways. Depends on what body type you like. Perogie shaped or fish shaped.

ddduke: Go looking on corvette forums (or kijiji or auto trader or even racing junk) for a C5Z06 or C6 Grand sport (Coupe- not convertible), or C6 Z06 from the States or Canada.
C5Z06 you can still find for cheap with low KM. Some of them already come with long tubes/exhaust and intake which is fine. Best bang for your buck because, like everyone else says, parts are cheap. The car can be fixed in your driveway. Making BIG power is easy without fooling around with turbos and superchargers. The LS6 is also pretty built proof, or you can always swap in a 6.2L from the newer vettes, or throw in a stroker. With the money saved you can collect some killer mods and lots of them. Fender flares (If you want to run anything bigger than 315 on stock wheel spacing), big brakes, cam, etc. Can be serviced yourself. The design is a little dated... but it's a nice design. Don't like flip up lights? Go to radio-flyer innovations and pick up a set of headlights. They are sick. Especially with a C5.5 front end.:drool: Oh, the stock exhaust is Titanium. Even porsche can't do that. :rofl::rofl: (This is humour... not starting a pissing contest). Still a nice car to drive and will still turn heads despite what everyone on here will say. Just please stay away from chrome lip-black wheels that are 19/20 or 20/21. yucky.

Downsides: wonky bolt spacing (120.65), Brakes are a little small, but can be upgraded for cheap. Coilover upgrade (easy) but just a pita to do, takes maybe one day. Needs Pfadt camber spacers because the eccentric bolts move (never happened to me, just a recommended mod). Clutch is a PITA to change but can be done yourself. Needs different seats (C6GS seats are a good upgrade). Stereo sucks ass... but i never use it anyways. Stock ride height is 4x4... but can be fixed in 5 min, or with the help of a coil-over upgrade. Rear tires don't last long. Drum parking brake is kinda dumb. It WILL hold the car but if you ever swap rotors or something you need to adjust it or it doesn't hold too well. Lack of techy-stuff... pretty bare-bones. Probably more of a track car than what you're looking for.

C6 Grand Sport is very good. As long as it's the coupe/hardtop and not the flimsy convertible. You might find a few used, and if you find a low kms one within your budget get it (or new, if new is in your budget). This car is beyond text book good. So nimble and perfectly powered. Quiet everyday cruiser and full on fighter when you need it. Can be serviced yourself. Interior quality picked up and is comfortable.

Downside: uh... the bolt spacing (120.65) and the shifter is a little funky. Sometimes downshifts into second become shifts back into fourth. The throw and spacing is quite short but takes about 1 day to get used to. Clutch is a PITA to change but can be done yourself. Rear tires don't last long. Drum parking brake still.

C6Z06 INSANE car to drive. Easy to drive. Like the grand sport but if you get some dude in a porsche bugging you all you do is squeeze the gas pedal. If you find one with low km within your budget buy one. Put that sucker in comp-mode and go blast around the mountains.

Downside: 120.65 bolt spacing, shifter is kinda the same as the grand sport. Clutch replacement is a PITA. Rear tires don't make it to the end of the block.

They are all excellent daily drivers and good weekend toys. And they are good on gas.

Choice is up to you. But you cannot go wrong with a C5/C6.

94boosted
09-21-2012, 11:37 PM
^ Well said

OP What do you want out of the car? Do you want a car that's quick in a straight line, a track car, auto-x car or just a car that looks mean? The C5Z06 is one hell of a car on the track and as has been said easy and relatively inexpensive to fix, yes there are quite a few vette's but that doesn't mean they don't look bad ass.

G-ZUS
09-22-2012, 12:12 AM
All this talk of Vettes makes me want a red c5

Graham_A_M
09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
^ Lol, My old boss had that exactly. When I drove it, the seating position was very un-inspiring, but I dont get the comments that its hard to drive. (Asides from the seat) I found it a joy to rip around in, and do so quite easily & quickly.
It was a wicked car, FAST, yet still very good on gas, and not a difficult car to drive enthusiastically in. :dunno:
For a daily driver in the spring, summer and fall I'd get one in a heartbeat.

But I'd change those fucking seats in a real hurry though, wow those really pissed me off after a short while.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
One thing on the old C5 vettes is the brakes I find are pretty damn weak, whether it's a Z06 or not.

SideSwipe
09-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
One thing on the old C5 vettes is the brakes I find are pretty damn weak, whether it's a Z06 or not.

YUP. Those stock C5 brakes were good 10 years ago, but now they are outdated. But throwing on a set of new C6 brakes/rotors or big stoptechs or willwoods only takes an afternoon. Heck, even some better pads helps lots (Hawk or stoptech are really good). Bigger brakes means bigger wheels though, usually 18's on all four corners or 18/19.

Ah, memories of race city, turn one. Come screaming into the corner at 250+kph with those brakes. Fun. BUT DAMN. Used to have to hook my front right wheel into the dip in the pavement on turn two so I could make turn three.

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Viper?

ddduke
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Viper?

I'm going to look at a viper on monday. It's a fair bit more then I want to spend, but will stay current for a lot longer and I likely won't want many power mods which will keep both vehicles in the same (ish) price range.

I think this is the route I'm going to take.

M.alex
09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Viper?

Meh, over-rated. I was glad to get rid of my POS.

Only one i'd consider is an 99-02 that's been twin turboed. Mmmmm.

mgwatson
09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
If you actually know how to drive a car properly get a 996. It will drive a million times nicer than a vette ever will. That being said, a c5 z06 is probably the cheapest 400hp sports car on the market at ~$25,000.

Also, just going to throw this out there... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7vLcaqx9s

ddduke
09-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mgwatson

Also, just going to throw this out there... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7vLcaqx9s

That video is retarded and his next video should be about himself and titled "pretentious euro car guy" and discuss thinking that you're better then just about everyone just because you drive a european sports car.

mgwatson
09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

That video is retarded and his next video should be about himself and titled "pretentious euro car guy" and discuss thinking that you're better then just about everyone just because you drive a european sports car.
^^ lol clearrrrrly you 've never heard of Jim Rome.

03ozwhip
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd go with a c6 supercharged, funny enough, my buddy has one for sale right now for 38k obo. I like them better than the c5 for sure.

ddduke
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Finally took a real look at the vette from an owners point of view. The thing really is way too dated for me, not so much the exterior, but the interior. My mom had a 98 venture before and the interior is basically the same. I also thought it was really uncomfortable.

Porsche was gutless and a total snooze to drive, scratched that off the list quickly. Especially when I started looking at prices of quality parts.

SOOOOOOO....

I've decided that I'm gonna go Viper. By far the best of the 3. The power from it was just stupid and styling/interior is by far the best. I'm currently looking at 2003-2006 models. Since I likely wont be going with any mods besides tint I have a few more months to shop around for the right one. I'm hoping that mid winter I'll be able to find one priced pretty well.

If not there's this one that's priced very well, but I don't think I want convertible.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Dodge-Viper-SRT-10-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ406112633

black300
09-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
Finally took a real look at the vette from an owners point of view. The thing really is way too dated for me, not so much the exterior, but the interior. My mom had a 98 venture before and the interior is basically the same. I also thought it was really uncomfortable.

Porsche was gutless and a total snooze to drive, scratched that off the list quickly. Especially when I started looking at prices of quality parts.

SOOOOOOO....

I've decided that I'm gonna go Viper. By far the best of the 3. The power from it was just stupid and styling/interior is by far the best. I'm currently looking at 2003-2006 models. Since I likely wont be going with any mods besides tint I have a few more months to shop around for the right one. I'm hoping that mid winter I'll be able to find one priced pretty well.

If not there's this one that's priced very well, but I don't think I want convertible.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Dodge-Viper-SRT-10-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ406112633

That is a really good price for the kms and it says owned by 50+ couple. I am pretty sure you can bargain them a little bit, however there is no contact info (phone number) mayube it's one of those scams where they will ship you the car via paypal.:nut:

dirtsniffer
09-30-2012, 08:39 AM
A friend of mines parents own that viper. Not a scam and its a solid example of a viper. Those pictures don't do it justice.