PDA

View Full Version : Another help me choose a car thread!

krazykhoja
09-20-2012, 10:26 PM
So Beyond, it's time for me to choose another vehicle, and I need some help!

I'm not quite the baller some people are, so my choices aren't as exciting as say Rage2 would have!!

I currently drive a 99 RWD Mercedes C280, but want to go back to an SUV/AWD vehicle. I previously owned a 1999 CRV and loved it!

I am likely looking at buying something in the range of 2004-2008 and trying to keep the budget at $20,000 or less. Would prefer to get into an intro luxury vehicle if
possible.

What I would like in a vehicle:
Leather, (heated) seats
Sunroof,
AWD
Automatic
Good on gas, relatively inexpensive to maintain
Fun to drive (I know this is subjective, I loved my 1999 CRV to drive, and also the 99 Benz is a blast also, if that helps).
Prefer a smaller SUV (ie. looked at the MDX but a 7-seater I just don't need).

So far what I'm looking at is:

2004+ Honda CRV:
Pros: great vehicle, loved driving my old one, great on gas, inexpensive maintenance etc
Cons: Not "luxury"

2007-2008 Acura RDX:
Pros: Luxury version of the CRV, looks nice, interior is great, seems to come with a lot of standard features (incl. leather seats + sunroof
Cons: 1st gen, could have problems that I'm unaware of

2004-2007 Lexus RX330 (friend had one, loved it)
Pros: Luxury vehicle, great standard features, looks nice, good on gas
Cons: Can be more expensive to maintain

2009-2012 Nissan Rogue: (friend just bought a 2012)
Pros: Newer car less money, good on gas, decent looks
Cons: Entry level car, can upgrade features but cost then isn't worth it?

I'm trying to stay away from the higher end luxury vehicles (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) as the maintenance is expensive, and the vehicles get pricier also. Maybe one day when I join the beyond baller club!

Anyone who can chime in on the above choices, or can recommend other selections?

Thanks for your help Beyond!!!

dirtsniffer
09-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Girlfriend drives a rogue. Cvt is meh. But if you like autos it may be ok. Pretty nice leather, heated as well. Upgraded boss stereo is pretty solid. Looking for fun? Get a turbo forester.

G-ZUS
09-20-2012, 10:37 PM
How about the infiniti fx35? Or nissan murano?

FraserB
09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
MDX maybe?

Kloubek
09-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Out of your selection, I think the RDX is a good choice. It feels very responsible and handles well - looks good in and out. If I didn't need the space, I strongly would have considered the RDX.

But then if space wasn't an issue, I would have certainly considered the FX series as well - they are super nice looking, handle great and have good power. Ride isn't fantastic on them though.

What about a Porsche? The prices are really very reasonable now.

krazykhoja
09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Girlfriend drives a rogue. Cvt is meh. But if you like autos it may be ok. Pretty nice leather, heated as well. Upgraded boss stereo is pretty solid. Looking for fun? Get a turbo forester.

What year/price did she get the rogue for?

How about the infiniti fx35? Or nissan murano?

How is the maintenance on the fx? I might add that to the list.

I had a friend who drove a Murano and didn't like too much. It's also a little bit bigger, and I'm trying to get a smaller SUV.

MDX maybe?

The MDX is too big, don't need a 7-seater, that's why I was thinking the RDX.

Out of your selection, I think the RDX is a good choice. It feels very responsible and handles well - looks good in and out. If I didn't need the space, I strongly would have considered the RDX. But then if space wasn't an issue, I would have certainly considered the FX series as well - they are super nice looking, handle great and have good power. Ride isn't fantastic on them though. What about a Porsche? The prices are really very reasonable now.

What do you mean the ride isn't fantastic on the FX, the looks or something else?

How the maintenance on the porsche? I'm wanting a vehicle that would be relatively inexpensive to maintain (ie. oil changes, minor repairs etc), from what I've heard the porsche wouldn't fit into that category.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!!

roopi
09-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

What about a Porsche? The prices are really very reasonable now.

Not a cheap vehicle for maintenance issues though.

Sugarphreak
09-21-2012, 06:25 AM

CanmoreOrLess
09-21-2012, 07:01 AM
You can do know wrong with the top two here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2008-toyota-rav4-vs-honda-cr-v-nissan-rogue-ford-escape-and-five-more-compact-suvs-comparison-tests

Hard to decide though, personally I'd take the CRV and spent $400 insulating the doors, hatch, etc. Road noise kills me these days. It would be the same with any vehicle of this type for sure. Also, auto-start is a must have.

CapnCrunch
09-21-2012, 07:38 AM
I can only speak for the RDX as my wife has a 2008. She's got the tech with nav, leather, heated seats, etc. It's been rock solid for us. 120,000 kms and its still going strong. We literally haven't had to fix a thing on it. Not even a burnt out light.

The ride is definitely sporty (sort of hard), but it handles great. It's smooth on the highway all the way up to 200. (I actually took my hand off the wheel at that speed for a few seconds, lol)

It takes premium gas. My wife avgs about 12L/100km around town. (I get around 10.5)

On the highway it get's around 9.5-10. (We somehow managed to get 8.5 coming back from Kelowna last year)

I'd definitely get another one if this one ever gives us a reason to.

dirtsniffer
09-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by krazykhoja
What year/price did she get the rogue for?

It's a 2012, fully loaded and I'm fairly certain it was about 38k

GS430
09-21-2012, 09:44 AM
+1 on the RDX. Acura's SH-AWD system is great, and it's turbocharged which is nice.

msommers
09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
My mother has a newer CRV and that thing is unstoppable in the snow. It isn't that exciting to drive but it's very comfortable and has all the required luxury items.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2008-Honda-CR-V-EX-L-4WD-Leather-Sunroof-Automatic-W0QQAdIdZ415594114

The Rogue is amazing on gas. Buddy has one and drives up to Yellowknife a bunch of times a year. He's taken it offroading a bit as well and handles fine. Overall the interior felt a lot cheaper than my mom's crv though.

kvg
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Juke? Cheap, fun, ugly, cheap

Kloubek
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Not a cheap vehicle for maintenance issues though.

You're right... he did say that he wanted to stay away from the high-end vehicles. I don't think it should be *that* bad though... especially if one stays away from the turbo version.

krazykhoja
09-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far!!

I think right now I'm going to be looking mainly at the CRV/RDX (I know it's essentially the same vehicle on two platforms).

However I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the cost of maintenance on the FX35?

I'll keep the Rogue in mind as well, but it seems like it might be a little outside my price range.

Anything else you guys can recommend/that I should keep in mind looking at these cars?

Sugarphreak
09-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Canucks3322
09-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Juke? Cheap, fun, fast, BEAUTIFUL, cheap

Fixed.

Whoever said Muranos though...2003-2008...CVTs are ticking timebombs...not worth it...

Graham_A_M
09-22-2012, 10:59 PM
^ Word, and VERY costly to fix. My co-worker had one, I think his was an 04. When his CVT blew up (which didn't surprise anyone) I forget how much he paid, but IIRC, it was $2400. :nut:
Fuck that.

Blue
09-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Lexus maintenance should cost the same as bmw mercedes etc etc