PDA

View Full Version : To go through insurance or not?

beaubali
09-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Hello,

I just had a 'hypothetical' fender bender where I am at fault. There is some scrapping on both of our cars, but we were travelling very slowly so no major damage.

I currently have 12 demerit points (first time in my life to have any) due to an accident last year. I am wondering if it is best to settle this privately or to go through our insurance. If we do go through insurance, how will this affect my premiums and also how will it affect my demerits.

I have a relative who professional paints cars and does autobody work, so we could get a reasonable price to do the work.

Thank you.

Squishy
09-21-2012, 04:58 PM
If its cheap enough pay out of pocket. If its too expensive for you then you'll have to suffer the insurance premium increase with the result of a second accident.

Mar
09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
This is why you have insurance, why would you even ask?

FraserB
09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
How do you get 12 demerits from 1 accident:confused:

DEATH2000
09-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
How do you get 12 demerits from 1 accident:confused:
Multiple tickets?

Some lady wasnt paying attention and hit my wifes van. She wants to pay cash rather then go through insurance, most likley because of the same situation. The initial estimates for the damage are between $1,200 and $1,650 not including the cost of two new car seats. The way I see it is most people dont have $2,000+ cash sitting around to pay out. The damage can get expensive quick so consider that before you claim it.

Masked Bandit
09-21-2012, 10:03 PM
You should be able to simply call your broker and have them estimate what you future rates would look like with another claim on your record. That should give you a good idea as to whether or not you should pay out of pocket.

Kloubek
09-21-2012, 10:13 PM
If it is a minor fender bender, you're almost always better off just paying for it out of pocket. Just don't expect the other person to go through "your guy". Make sure you get everything in writing, and that they sign off all interests.

ddduke
09-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Multiple tickets?

Some lady wasnt paying attention and hit my wifes van. She wants to pay cash rather then go through insurance, most likley because of the same situation. The initial estimates for the damage are between $1,200 and $1,650 not including the cost of two new car seats. The way I see it is most people dont have $2,000+ cash sitting around to pay out. The damage can get expensive quick so consider that before you claim it.

Why would you need 2 new car seats?

corsvette
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Why would you need 2 new car seats?

Anytime a vehicle is in an accident the car seats are deemed junk and need to be replaced, even in minor accidents.

guessboi
09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If it is a minor fender bender, you're almost always better off just paying for it out of pocket. Just don't expect the other person to go through "your guy". Make sure you get everything in writing, and that they sign off all interests.

I would agree with this, assuming already 1 at fault accident last yr and a few convictions...best is to settle out of insurance for the minor stuff...

+1 is to talk to your broker.

ddduke
09-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

Anytime a vehicle is in an accident the car seats are deemed junk and need to be replaced, even in minor accidents.

Really? I've never heard of this. I've had two people crash in to me and the seats have never been replaced. This isn't an every day thing is it?

Masked Bandit
09-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Really? I've never heard of this. I've had two people crash in to me and the seats have never been replaced. This isn't an every day thing is it?

Absolutely! Anytime there is an accident with car seats in the vehicle the are to be replaced. I've yet to dee an adjuster give anyone a hard time about that.

SOAB
09-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't think duke understands that you're talking about child safety seats, and not just regular car seats.

botox
09-22-2012, 11:00 AM
With your record I wouldn't even think of going through insurance. Hell even if it doesn't affect your insurance I still wouldn't want to waste a freebee on something as minor as you described, unless paying it out will mean you miss rent/mortage payment or something else needy.

DEATH2000
09-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Child car seats yes. Speak with the CPS Traffic unit at (403) 567-4000 and they can explain it to you more.

Canada has the highest standard for child car seats in the world, so i fully believe that the in a minor accident with no structural damage then they would be fine. However, if someone else is buying me brand new unstained car seats im all in.

Because Canada has the highest standard for car seats i am unable to import the BMW Motorsports child booster seat. While legal in the UK, EU, and the US, they are not deemed "safe" here. :cry:

beaubali
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I would like to talk to my broker about it, but wasn't sure if once you mention an accident to them, that there is no turning back. Do you still have the option to settle privately after you talk to them?

I guess my concern is twofold: 1) how it will affect my driving record? and 2) how it will affect my premiums?

I'm not 100% certain about the # of demerits I have but know that I got a warning letter about 6 months ago that surprised me. I am currently out of province and am trying to track down the info on my record. The people I spoke to said that if I got a letter, then I probably had 12 demerits and would have my licence suspended if I got 3 more.

Re: the demerits: I had a couple of speeding tickets for going slightly over the limit in a construction zone (the other cars were doing so as well, but I was the one who got stopped) and then had a huge accident where I tried to avoid a 7 car pile up and the people from the accident and went into the guard rail - hence I didn't hit anyone - so the accident was deemed to be my fault, even though the accident I was avoiding happened before me and my car flipped and was crushed very badly.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if I would get more demerits for the fender bender if we went through my insurance?

Thanks.
b

FraserB
09-23-2012, 12:13 AM
If you're asking stuff like this, you have zero business even looking at a car.

DEATH2000
09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by beaubali
QUESTION: Does anyone know if I would get more demerits for the fender bender if we went through my insurance?

Thanks.
b
You cant get more demerits unless given a ticket.

beaubali
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
But if I report it to my insurance, do you then need to go through the police? If so, wouldn't they give me a ticket?

beaubali
09-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
If you're asking stuff like this, you have zero business even looking at a car.

There is no need to respond to my question like this. I asked a legitimate question and am trying to better understand what I should do.

For your information, I was going 30km when I got the speeding tickets and was following everyone else and was going 50km when the accident happened. It was windy road and no one could have had any idea there were several cars piled up around the next curve. If I had hit the other cars and people it would have been deemed part of their accident. But because I was trying to save lives, I hit the rail and so it was deemed a separate accident. This is the first instance in 40 years of driving that I have had any demerits on my record.

zipdoa
09-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by beaubali
But if I report it to my insurance, do you then need to go through the police? If so, wouldn't they give me a ticket?

Depends on the amount of damage to the vehicle... Anything under $1k or so doesn't require a police report IIRC

guessboi
09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
^ 2K - mandatory police report for the damage sticker...you need the sticker otherwise shops won't fix the damage for you.

DEATH2000
09-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Less then $2,000 damage means the police dont need to respond to the scene. You wrap your car around a tree they need to come. Mess up your bumper a little, not really. But all accidents must be reported to the police. Especially if your claiming through insurance.

beaubali
09-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks everyone for you help.