PDA

View Full Version : Stylish Warm Winter Jacket Brand

Pages : [1] 2

JLau
09-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Looking for a new winter jacket, has to be somewhat stylish and VERY warm. Budget is $1500 or under

Looked at Canada Goose and MonCler so far. Alot of my friends tells me Canada Goose is not that warm, and they only have 2 styles of MonCler here. Any other suggestions?

jaylo
09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Like any other jacket, it is meant to wear in layers. 99% of Canada Goose people just wear a t-shirt underneath.

There was a big thread about this a year ago.

You want very warm? Layer it up.

ajooo
09-22-2012, 11:34 AM
where do they sell Moncler here?

JLau
09-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ajooo
where do they sell Moncler here?

Holt and Harry Rosen carries 2 styles

msommers
09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
$1500 for a winter jacket?! :nut: I'm clearly not making enough money.

Anyways regarding your friends, which CG jackets do you they? They are good albeit overpriced jackets. For someone to say they aren't that warm...just I don't know. The expedition jackets are very rugged. Maybe they need a onesie?

Look at Rab, Patagonia, Western Mountaineering, Norrona, Marmot, MEC. They might not meet your 'style' quota but who knows, I like them. I'm still confused by the CG jackets not being warm.

LongCity
09-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers
$1500 for a winter jacket?! :nut: I'm clearly not making enough money.

Anyways regarding your friends, which CG jackets do you they? They are good albeit overpriced jackets. For someone to say they aren't that warm...just I don't know. The expedition jackets are very rugged. Maybe they need a onesie?

Look at Rab, Patagonia, Western Mountaineering, Norrona, Marmot, MEC. They might not meet your 'style' quota but who knows, I like them. I'm still confused by the CG jackets not being warm.

You and me both... Maybe the guy bought a counterfeit. I thought they used these jackets up north for military training.

max_boost
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Holy man $1500? Lol

Canada Goose worth it or you paying for the label? Haha

Why do you need a jacket that warm? Not like you will be waiting for the bus or walking outside in minus 30.

msommers
09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Maybe the guy bought a counterfeit.

This makes perfect sense. Fake it till you make it? (and freeze your ass off?!)

LongCity
09-22-2012, 02:25 PM

This makes perfect sense. Fake it till you make it? (and freeze your ass off?!)

Or they're walking around with the jacket unzipped and say it's not warm enough hahah

asp integra
09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
why not just go to a high end ski shop, get something that is at most $6-700, is very warm and technical, and looks 10 times as nice as the coats you mentioned earlier and save almost $1000?

JLau
09-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
why not just go to a high end ski shop, get something that is at most $6-700, is very warm and technical, and looks 10 times as nice as the coats you mentioned earlier and save almost $1000?

I might go check about that ski shop on crowchild

asp integra
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JLau

I might go check about that ski shop on crowchild

if your thinking abominable then i would reccomend against it, one of the worst/lower quality shops in town. Check out Fresh, Ski Cellar, Ski west or Source instead

jaysas_63
09-22-2012, 04:18 PM

I wear a parka to work in the winter, looks good. ski coat with dress pants and shirt/tie clashes too much.

JLau
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM

if your thinking abominable then i would reccomend against it, one of the worst/lower quality shops in town. Check out Fresh, Ski Cellar, Ski west or Source instead

Will check those places out, thanks

jaysas_63 Originally posted by asp integra

I wear a parka to work in the winter, looks good. ski coat with dress pants and shirt/tie clashes too much.

Is so hard to tell unless if i am actually wearing the jacket during winter, but i will give CG a second thought. Thanks

psycoticclown
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Nobis Cartel or other Nobis winter jackets. Super super super warm. Created by an ex-designer of CG. It's down filled, has magnetic flap closure, waterproof exterior, armpit vents for when it gets too warm (which I use all the time like on the ski hill and wearing it inside), machine washable, has the wrist waistband if you want to take it out on the ski hill, removable hood and removable fur on the hood, the fur also has a wire that runs through it making it moldable. And it's around $600 regular price, I got mine 25% off last year making it an amazing deal. Definitely the best bang for your buck for a stylish and super warm winter jacket. Plus not everybody and their aunt is rocking one of these like the CG jackets.

http://www.nrjjeans.com/site/images/stories/nobis%20cartel%20grey.jpg

msommers
09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised but I actually like that! Where did you get it for 25% off?

toyboy88
09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Arcteryx or Helly Hansen?

psycoticclown
09-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Hot Gossip. They always have the 25% off sales, I got it last year at their friends and family sale. Paid around $500 incl tax.

Prelude_dude
09-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I can vouch for CG. It maybe a douchey or a fad or whatever, i could careless. Shit works, and keeps my ass warm whenever the bus doesn't feel like coming on time. Last year -50, during that cold snap. With just dress pants, snowboard socks and mid high boots, wife beater and dress shirt, i had on the CG chateu parka, i had no problem waiting 30 mins outside.

Sugarphreak
09-22-2012, 09:45 PM

r3ccOs
09-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I bought an insulated Mountain Hard Wear jacket w/ fur lined hood for just under $400 (on sale) about 2 seasons ago. It is insanely warm even in -40 or colder weather, probably one of the best cold weather jackets I have ever owned.

I have to ask the obvious question here; if you can afford a CG jacket, why the hell are you taking the bus :rofl:

functional or trendy?

CG is both, but by no means meant to be rockin with timberlands in East LA

Superdry... that's it, the best winter jacket that can be had... there was a thread on that

I rock marmot and outdoor research

Prelude_dude
09-22-2012, 10:37 PM

I bought an insulated Mountain Hard Wear jacket w/ fur lined hood for just under $400 (on sale) about 2 seasons ago. It is insanely warm even in -40 or colder weather, probably one of the best cold weather jackets I have ever owned.

I have to ask the obvious question here; if you can afford a CG jacket, why the hell are you taking the bus :rofl:

Yea... it was either a one time $700 dollar jacket, that will at least last 2-3 years I hope; my other alternative is $300-400 dollars a month to park downtown, not including gas and the extra km to drive from panorama -> downtown everyday.

jaylo
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Canada Goose hands down for a down jacket whether it is quality or function, and Arc'teryx for synthetic insulation.

A lot of people up north uses Canada Goose for outdoor during winter. Models such as Expedition, Snow Mantra, or Resolute are very rugged and warm.

For more city use, I'd recommend a Citadel, Banff, Chateau, or the popular Chilliwack

Nobis is also OK but it is too new to the market to be proven soild

Sugarphreak
09-22-2012, 11:25 PM

flipstah
09-23-2012, 12:26 AM
I bought a parka from The North Face and that was Fort Mac-tested and approved. :)

I got it for el cheapo too! :thumbsup:

The McMurdo parka.

Granted, Canada Goose is great but so pricey. And douchey. I'd go for Arc'teryx instead.

msommers
09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude

Yea... it was either a one time $700 dollar jacket, that will at least last 2-3 years I hope;

What the heck do you do to your jacket making it only last at most, 3 years?

jaylo
09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I have tried Mountain Hardwear, North Face but most of them are lacking the authentic fur which actually really helps during cold windy days to keep your face and neck from freezing

The CG may be douchey for some people who rocks it with just an affliction t-shirt but it is actually a proven jacket with 50+ yrs experience.

It is just unfortunate that you have to pay premium for these jackets and the prices went up $100 for each model

Lifetime warranty on all CG jackets by the way, beware of counterfeit's there's tons out there

rob the knob
09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
coop

K3RMiTdot
09-23-2012, 04:58 PM
i bought a helly hansen jacket last year, and served me well of course i layered up all the time.

JLau
09-23-2012, 09:42 PM
thanks for the advices, i am gonna head to holt and harry rosen tomorrow and see what CGs they have there. If i canr find an awesome Arctryx, i wouldnt mind it too, esp with the 25% off this week.

jaylo
09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
U can't go wrong with Arc'teryx. I bought the Beta SL with goretex shell and the Atom LT hoody insulated and together they are a deadly combination and warm enough for skiing/hiking.

Past -15 I will look into Canada Goose like I said or even the Arc'teryx line

CaptainReboot
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
If any of you are regulars at Henry Singer, they mail out a $100 off card in December. I used it towards a Canada Goose jacket there, since they never go on sale.

I got the bomber one and I love it. I'm not a huge fan of the longer jackets as I hate sitting on them when I drive.

Weapon_R
09-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Any suggestions for jackets that look good over dress clothes?

flipstah
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Any suggestions for jackets that look good over dress clothes?

For Fall, a leather jacket or wool peacoat is great.

Winter, a thicker leather jacket?

flipstah
09-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
I have tried Mountain Hardwear, North Face but most of them are lacking the authentic fur which actually really helps during cold windy days to keep your face and neck from freezing

The CG may be douchey for some people who rocks it with just an affliction t-shirt but it is actually a proven jacket with 50+ yrs experience.

It is just unfortunate that you have to pay premium for these jackets and the prices went up $100 for each model

Lifetime warranty on all CG jackets by the way, beware of counterfeit's there's tons out there

Well for that, I got the fur lining changed from synthetic to real coyote. Still cheaper altogether than a CG jacket. :thumbsup:

in*10*se
09-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Arc'teryx

Red@8
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Not a lot of love in this thread for Helly Hansen so I'll chime in with a vote for HH. I have a few models from them and they have all served me well. I will add though that I haven't tried on the CG or other brands mentioned in this thread.

KRyn
09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Check this company out!

http://mooseknucklescanada.com/home

Great products and like CG, made in Canada!

GS430
09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Check this company out!

http://mooseknucklescanada.com/home

Great products and like CG, made in Canada!

Moose Knuckle eh? :rofl: Aside from the ridiculous name and logo, jackets look pretty nice.

Huge bonus that it's made in Canada too.

msommers
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
No personal experience with the Moose Knuckle stuff, haven't heard anything either. Designs seem ok but what's the deal with no specs on their stuff? One of those bomber jackets is $1000, that's just ridiculous!

jaylo
09-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Well for that, I got the fur lining changed from synthetic to real coyote. Still cheaper altogether than a CG jacket. :thumbsup:

Good "modification" I had to cough up the dough to get a Canada Goose, I wanted a removable fur lining.

I got my wife one too and we have joined the CG douche army though we walk 1/2 hour to work outside every day and it has been proven warm

flipstah
09-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by jaylo

Good "modification" I had to cough up the dough to get a Canada Goose, I wanted a removable fur lining.

I got my wife one too and we have joined the CG douche army though we walk 1/2 hour to work outside every day and it has been proven warm

TNF McMurdo is removable fur lining but it's button clasp. I had to get the seamstress to put a brim stiffener sewed in because the elastic doesn't pull the fur with it... If that made any sense...

JLau
10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Ended up getting a Moncler Jacket...thanks for all the input

chibwack
10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
So what do you guys in the office do about your legs? Just let them freeze on the walk? Dress pants are so thin I might just put some long johns for the walks to/from and change when I get there.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
So what do you guys in the office do about your legs? Just let them freeze on the walk? Dress pants are so thin I might just put some long johns for the walks to/from and change when I get there.

Long johns. :)

duaner
10-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
Get some good silk type long johns or something like the Dry Fit ones from Marks. A thin layer that makes a world of difference and since they wick moisture away and breathe well, I leave them on under my jeans without overheating.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM

Long johns. :)

x2, thin merino wool long underwear for the really chilly days. The Sears near me closed down so I cleaned them out of merino wool dress socks for cheap, and are they ever nice and warm while still being thin and dressy.

As far as jackets go, I'm a layering guy rather than a parka guy. GoLite Castle Peak jacket down to -15, add a Stoic down cardigan midlayer and that keeps me warm for anything I run into in Calgary.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

x2, thin merino wool long underwear for the really chilly days. The Sears near me closed down so I cleaned them out of merino wool dress socks for cheap, and are they ever nice and warm while still being thin and dressy.

As far as jackets go, I'm a layering guy rather than a parka guy. GoLite Castle Peak jacket down to -15, add a Stoic down cardigan midlayer and that keeps me warm for anything I run into in Calgary.

You're too fancy for an engineer.

JLau
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I drive to work lol

Canmorite
10-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Saw this in blue yesterday and thought damn :thumbsup:

http://www.hellyhansen.com/press/summer-12/ask-sportswear

EK 2.0
10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Saw this in blue yesterday and thought damn :thumbsup:

I saw you in blue yesterday and thought damn!!...:love:

Hahaha...no homo...haha...

BerserkerCatSplat
10-16-2012, 11:22 AM

You're too fancy for an engineer.

Nah, I'm all about function. :D

Canmorite
10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I saw you in blue yesterday and thought damn!!...:love:

Hahaha...no homo...haha...

Creeping on me eh...

EK 2.0
10-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Creeping on me eh...

No....

ga16i
10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I guess it depends on what your definition of stylish is.
I don't think anything hot and sexy will be very warm, and parkas don't scream stylish.

If you want to have stylez like Bear Grylls in the winter, red North Face jacket with some H/H warm will keep the core toasty.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
As much as I'm not usually a huge fan of parkas, my old cheap one was coming apart at the seams and was in need of replacement. I happened to wander by Eddie Bauer today and noticed they've got their 1945 Icelander Parka (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=44049&&categoryId=28133&categoryName=PARKAS&pCategoryId=16&pCategoryName=OUTERWEAR--BLAZERS&gpCategoryId=2&gpCategoryName=MEN&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28133~~categoryName=PARKAS~~pCategoryId=16~~pCategoryName=OUTERWEAR--BLAZERS~~gpCategoryId=2~~gpCategoryName=MEN~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&sort=SORT_PRICE&cmPathInfo=null) for 50% off (~$200 w/tax) so I picked one up, it's quite stylish for a parka and extremely warm.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/41NPAmB-ZUL_SX342__zpse26489ee.jpg

barnad
01-02-2013, 10:35 AM
This winter is more cool.The brand like this are very supportive to keep us safe from such a harsh environmental conditions.Nice sharing I will try it.

flipstah
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
BUMP for upcoming winter 2013.

I'm not on the field anymore and I lost weight so my McMurdo Parka is too big now.

This is us being stupid last year:

MJPXFnG9ZSc

Currently looking for slim-fit options and Arc'Teryx seems to be a good option:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets&activity=Around_Town&model=Zeta-AR-Jacket

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&activity=Ski-Snowboard&model=Theta-AR-Jacket

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&activity=Ski-Snowboard&model=Cerium-LT-Hoody

Pricey mofos though! :eek:

How did yours hold up last year?

r3ccOs
09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/jackets/mens-stormbound-jacket.html

msommers
09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Don what are you planning on using the jacket for? Arcteryx builds their stuff for very specific things such as increased venting/breathability in place of insulation, rock/ice climbing so the upper body is a bit loose etc.

http://www.arcteryx.com/naming-scheme.aspx?language=EN

That'll help you narrow things down a bit.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
BUMP for upcoming winter 2013.

I'm not on the field anymore and I lost weight so my McMurdo Parka is too big now.

Currently looking for slim-fit options and Arc'Teryx seems to be a good option:

Pricey mofos though! :eek:

How did yours hold up last year?

You work in an office building, you don't need an Arcteryx. :nut: Go try on some stuff at MEC and save yourself a few hundred.

If you're dead-set on the dead bird, keep an eye on The Last Hunt for deals.

flipstah
09-12-2013, 12:05 PM
True. Its mostly waiting for the train when its delayed.

msommers
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Any nice down jacket is going to perform well. I would actually advise against Arcteryx because of lot of their stuff is built around mountaineering and climbing, which isn't as ideal for stationary movement. The only jacket that comes to mind for that would be their down Belay jacket but that's $600 or something ridiculous. Arcteryx is heavily built around layering for different situations and purposes. Even their hoods are oversized to accommodate helmets.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Are you looking for a single jacket or a layered system? The Arcteryx links you posted were for two uninsulated rain shells and an ultralight down hoodie.

I like my layered system because I use it for a lot of things, but for just waiting for a train a single jacket is nice due to simplicity. Maybe a MEC Storm Degree might be up your alley.

flipstah
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Probably layered because I found the parka too hot sometimes.

EDIT:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-362/mec-light-degree-hoodie-mens/?h=10+50006+50020+50089&colour=BK000&f=10+50006+50020+50062+50089

http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-782/mec-co-opted-jacket-mens/?f=10+50006+50020+50089

BerserkerCatSplat
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
That looks like a nice warm combo. I honestly prefer a synthetic-fill outer layer due to retaining insulating capability if it gets wet (even if it has a waterproof shell), but that may not be a concern for you.

msommers
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Probably layered because I found the parka too hot sometimes.

EDIT:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-362/mec-light-degree-hoodie-mens/?h=10+50006+50020+50089&colour=BK000&f=10+50006+50020+50062+50089

http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-782/mec-co-opted-jacket-mens/?f=10+50006+50020+50089

For the price of that MEC hoodie, get the Arcteryx Atom LT I picked up. It's tried, test and true and about $20 more.

The other looks like a nice casual jacket that'll probably do the trick without another piece.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Another alternative for a down layer is the GoLite Demaree 800 (http://www.golite.com/Mens-Demaree-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Jacket-P47036.aspx) for $130.

As nice as the Atom LT is, there's absolutely no way I would pay $20 more for a synthetic fill over a down fill - especially when the Light Degree is an exceptionally nice piece of gear and IMO one of the best MEC makes.

msommers
09-12-2013, 08:16 PM
The advantage of using the synthetic is that it has more versatility, especially if it's a bit moist outside.

Admittedly, I don't know how water repellent the material is on the Light Degree which could change it's thermal properties considerably.

flipstah
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM

For the price of that MEC hoodie, get the Arcteryx Atom LT I picked up. It's tried, test and true and about $20 more.

The other looks like a nice casual jacket that'll probably do the trick without another piece.

Where did you pick up that Atom LT?

Your purchase was actually the reason why I bumped the thread. Fucker. :rofl:

That MEC Light Degree looks to be a killer deal but it's all about fitting now.

Also, natural vs. synthetic fill. I know down fill can be compact and warm at the same time but like you mentioned, not sure of its waterproofing material.

Where can I get that GoLite? Cheap!

BerserkerCatSplat
09-12-2013, 09:54 PM
The advantage of using the synthetic is that it has more versatility, especially if it's a bit moist outside.

Admittedly, I don't know how water repellent the material is on the Light Degree which could change it's thermal properties considerably.

The Light Degree is a DWR (durable water repellant) nylon shell, pretty common for UL down-filled gear. I wouldn't wear it (or the Atom for that matter) in a spring rainstorm, that's what shells are for. Calgary winter snow isn't going to cause it any problems.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to mention that GoLite is online-only, so you wouldn't have any opportunity to try it on.

msommers
09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Don the problem I found when I was looking mid-August is that it must have been that time of the year when stock was switching over or something. Because every seller in Calgary had absolutely fuck all. I mean like a total of 10 jackets, most shells that were XL :rofl: So I had to go out to Canmore (VPO) and Banff (Monod) to even try shit on. Ended up buying it at Monod as they had the right size and colour scheme. Plus I told the guy on the phone to hold the jacket for me as I was coming in from Canmore. He gave me 5% off because he must of thought I was actually a local resident! Arcteryx pricing seems to be uniform so what you see in Banff is what you'd see in Calgary.

If that Light Degree has DWR that'd also be a solid choice. You can also get it reapplied if down the road it's not working as well as it idd new. I know Trevor wouldn't lead you astray, he knows his outdoor gears quite well. I was just not familiar with that piece to compare it properly.

flipstah
09-16-2013, 09:37 PM
So I'll be heading to Oregon in a bit and there's several jacket stores in the vicinity, including GoLite, Mountain Hardwear, and Columbia. Here are the options I came up with:

http://www.golite.com/Mens-Demaree-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Jacket-P47036.aspx?avad=55097_f4fa4c55

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Shimmer-Flash%E2%84%A2-Jacket/WM5515,default,pd.html

http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Powerfly%E2%84%A2-Down-Puff/WM3214,default,pd.html&colorID=010

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Triteca%E2%84%A2-II-Softshell-Jacket/WM6744,default,pd.html + http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Bugaboo-Kustom-Jacket/SM7892,default,pd.html&colorID=469

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Ghost-Whisperer%E2%84%A2-Hooded-Down-Jacket/OM5714,default,pd.html&colorID=372

There's also Patagonia but it's too expensive (unless there's a good one to recommend).

msommers
09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
If you can get a deal in the US on a Patagonia Down sweater hooded I'd go for that! I think a shell would be beneficial for a down jacket and why I also prefer synthetic. What was wrong with your current parks? Are you walking to work or training it for the most part?

flipstah
09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
My current parka is now one size too big so I'm selling it soon.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Nice, having all that selection in Oregon will be really nice for finding what suits your fit and budget best! When are you going?

flipstah
09-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Nice, having all that selection in Oregon will be really nice for finding what suits your fit and budget best! When are you going?

Couple of weeks! :drool:

Matt, what's considered to get a good deal on Patagonia?

msommers
09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I'd say 30% off is a good deal. That was the sale I got on my R1 pullover and the reason I bought it. Not sure how often the sales come up though.

I'd say for that jacket I mentioned, if you see if for $240USD on under it's a good price.

For that kind of money there are likely other 800-fill options out there to consider. I'll take a look tonight.

flipstah
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd say 30% off is a good deal. That was the sale I got on my R1 pullover and the reason I bought it. Not sure how often the sales come up though.

I'd say for that jacket I mentioned, if you see if for $240USD on under it's a good price.

For that kind of money there are likely other 800-fill options out there to consider. I'll take a look tonight.

I'll see if I can get the following Patagonia jackets for less when I'm down there:

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/mens-down-sweater-full-zip-hoody?p=84700-0-731

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/mens-ultralight-down-hoody?p=84766-0-149

Otherwise, I might snipe that GoLite that Trevor suggested.

msommers
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Definitely consider fit more than anything. The GoLite spec-wise looks to be a great option and at a price that's more than half of the Patagonia stuff. I've never seen it in person so whatever the reviews suggest are more than I know about it.

r3ccOs
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
golite is nice stuff, I don't like their pants or basic cotton t-shirts, but their tech shirts, packs, and definately their down is good value and nice

BerserkerCatSplat
09-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I've never tried GoLite's pants/cottons, but I swear by their tech shirts and down sleeping gear.

bh87
09-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I've been making due with a wool peacoat walking to work downtown for the past 2 years with a suit underneath. My wife talked me in to buying a Canada Goose "Banff" model last night after I tried one on. We got her a CG last year (not sure what model) and she's been happy with it, she had a North Face Parka before and likes the CG better. Looking forward to seeing how much better the walk will be this year.

What type of gloves has anyone been wearing? I have a pair of wool lined leather ones that are wearing out that I should replace this year.

msommers
09-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Bomber mitts. So nice!

http://www.hidesinhand.com/handwear/index.html

osspasha
09-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude
I can vouch for CG. It maybe a douchey or a fad or whatever, i could careless. Shit works, and keeps my ass warm whenever the bus doesn't feel like coming on time. Last year -50, during that cold snap. With just dress pants, snowboard socks and mid high boots, wife beater and dress shirt, i had on the CG chateu parka, i had no problem waiting 30 mins outside.

100% agree

Sugarphreak
09-20-2013, 09:56 PM

flipstah
09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Picked up a CG Lodge Hoody today (I think it is ~750 fill), looking forward to trying it out this winter to see if it lives up to the hype. I kind of like the blacked out logo to the normal one they use.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Sugarphreak/Public%20Albums/Beyond/new_jacket_zps08ed9208.jpg

Damn. That looks like a new style. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

taemo
09-22-2013, 12:11 AM
this has been my winter jacket for 2 seasons now and so far I'm overly pleased, best thing is my parents bought it for only $40 in Chinatown LA :rofl:

if I just have a t-shirt on and it's fairly windy, obviously it will get through but I've used this all over AB at -30C with no major complaints
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4720/7xr4.jpg
I usually wear a t-shirt and sweater or cardigan inside anyway

The_Rural_Juror
09-23-2013, 09:43 PM
^You must have Eskimo blood in you. :)

Nice looking jacket, sugarphreak. To be honest, I've had much better experience with the CG hard shelled jackets than the soft shelled. I have an older model of yours and found it to be less breathable than the equivalents.

Sugarphreak
09-23-2013, 10:24 PM

snipa_mini85
09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Arc'Teryx Kappa jacket, 140g Coreloft fill and Gore-Tex Windstopper is absolute gold on the cold windy days. I had dropped off my car at C1 in Blackfoot and walked back to the NW when it was -25 + 40km wind. Absolutely no complaints aside from I should've brought a neck tube.

They (Arc'Teryx) created a new jacket this year, the Macai, which will have 3L Gore-Tex waterproofing, 750-fill down, and 60g Coreloft liner. Arc'Teryx's insulated line fits slightly larger than their layering lineup so might want to try them on first. I only needed a t-shirt underneath my Kappa jacket last year. Basically the down is there to keep you warm while the Coreloft is there to make sure that moisture doesn't affect the down feathers.

Down is able to keep you toasty during the cold snaps but if you do sweat then you will lose a lot of heat once the feathers collect moisture. Synthetic is designed to retain as much heat as possible even when the material is wet.

Canucks3322
09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
How much do these aforementioned jackets cost??

Sugarphreak
09-24-2013, 03:00 PM

flipstah
09-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Mine is part of the Singer 75th collection:
http://www.henrysinger.com/75thCollection

Now I Just need the custom Daytona Rolex to go with it, haha

That's actually cheap for a Canada Goose jacket.

Or the ones I saw are horrendously overpriced. :rofl:

ercchry
09-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Mine is part of the Singer 75th collection:
http://www.henrysinger.com/75thCollection

Now I Just need the custom Daytona Rolex to go with it, haha

whoa, when did you start spending money on clothes? stepping it up from eddie bauer, eh? :rofl:

403ep3
09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
I got the chilliwack CG with 625 fill.. warm enough?

Sugarphreak
09-24-2013, 04:24 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I got the chilliwack CG with 625 fill.. warm enough?

Probably. Keep in mind that "fill power" only measures how much down it takes to fill a given volume, it's not a measure of warmth. In general, high loft/thickness = warm jacket, high fill power = light jacket. 625 fill is typical for a mid-quality duck down, but as long as the jacket has thick down chambers you're in good shape. I've made gear using 700FP duck down before and it's excellent if you don't have a need for the $$$ high-fill goose down.

turbotrip
09-25-2013, 10:41 AM
what kind of discounts were you guys able to get on the canadagoose jackets?

snipa_mini85
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
How much do these aforementioned jackets cost??

Arc'Teryx Kappa (Gore-Tex Windstopper + Coreloft) - $400.00
Fission SV (Gore-Tex Pro + Coreloft) - $650
Macai (Gore-Tex, Down + Coreloft) - $850