PDA

View Full Version : E46 M3 Angel Eyes Issue

Lubu
09-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi guys,

I started having my angel eyes dimming on the right side of my car and it flickers on occasion as well. When I tap on the wire when I open my hood, it flickers more so I taped it up nicely and while it flickers barely, it still flickers and the angel eyes is still much dimmer than normal.

I would normally take it to Calgary BMW for the small stuff but I don't trust them to touch my custom Quad Projector Headlights :rolleyes: . I should also note that my Angel Eyes are not those cheap clip on ones they sell on the mod sites. Mine is partially embedded within the Quad Projector lights. So taking the existing Angel Eyes out and replacing with new ones would be a very daunting task. And I don't want to spend $1000+ buying new Quad Projectors :eek:

Anyone know what could be causing the dimming issue with the Angel Eyes and if it is an easy fix? Could a grounding issue be causing it to dim?

Thanks in advance guys :)
ps (posted a pic below of how my Quads Projector lights look on the working left side, on the right side the Angel Eyes are dimmed to about 50% :( but my Quads are working perfectly)

Evo prec
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Its simple..... Aftermarket stuff sucks

But

Usually the cause of this is that they simply burn out. A quick and easy fix is to buy new replacement rings. If that doesnt fix it you have a ballast problem.

dirtsniffer
09-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Evo prec

Lubu
09-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Only the best parts were used to construct the Quad Projector setup. The parts alone without labor cost $1000+ ;)

But

Usually the cause of this is that they simply burn out. A quick and easy fix is to buy new replacement rings. If that doesnt fix it you have a ballast problem.

[/B]

I suspect you might be right that the Angel Eyes might be suffering from a burn out. Normally I wouldn't mind buying replacement rings but as mentioned, the rings were embedded within the Quad Projector lights itself, not a simple task to remove them based on what I saw :( If it was those cheap clip on aftermarket Angel Eyes, replacement would be easy but mine will be tough if it is indeed a burn out issue :(

GTS4tw
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM

And angel eyes are played and gay. Sounds like your car just did you a favor and rejected the transplant.

Evo prec
09-25-2012, 09:10 AM
it is quite easy to take the headlight apart and just bake it back together after you are done thats the only quick fix or just put ur stock head lights back in

Disoblige
09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

And angel eyes are played and gay. Sounds like your car just did you a favor and rejected the transplant.
Great help. They're so played and gay, that's why they come stock on new BMWs too eh? :rolleyes:

Quad projectors, that's sweet. Too bad it looks like it's such a hassle to deal with when one component shits on you. :(

96integra
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Your wiring could be messed up since you say it flickers different when you tap the wires. Sometimes there are welding issues within the LEDs, but I doubt that is your problem. Each angel eye has 2 wires for it that connect to a small box. Check all wires and connections. You can easily open up the lens without baking or even removing the headlights, then try to remove the angel eyes. I believe they are just moulded into the housing and can pop out.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but these are still aftermarket and the dealer would probably not know how to fix your wiring issue, whether you trust them or not. Yes you have the same generic angel eyes that most sites sell; just because they're not clip ons doens't make it better. You actually have the cheap non-oem headlight housings and parts are definitely not $1000 for this setup, so don't say all the best parts were used to make it.

Lubu
09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
it is quite easy to take the headlight apart and just bake it back together after you are done thats the only quick fix or just put ur stock head lights back in

Thanks, I might try taking the headlight apart but I don't know how to pry the Angel Eyes as its really embedded into the Quads :(

Originally posted by Disoblige

Quad projectors, that's sweet. Too bad it looks like it's such a hassle to deal with when one component shits on you. :(

Yes they are really nice :) and they look really mean but the downside as you pointed out is that if one part has issues, it's really a hassle indeed :(

Lubu
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 96integra
Your wiring could be messed up since you say it flickers different when you tap the wires. Sometimes there are welding issues within the LEDs, but I doubt that is your problem. Each angel eye has 2 wires for it that connect to a small box. Check all wires and connections. You can easily open up the lens without baking or even removing the headlights, then try to remove the angel eyes. I believe they are just moulded into the housing and can pop out.

I'll check the 2 wires like you mentioned to the control box, might be something might be loose there :)

Originally posted by 96integra
You actually have the cheap non-oem headlight housings and parts are definitely not $1000 for this setup, so don't say all the best parts were used to make it.

Projector 46 Premium $299.99

Predator Orion V4 Angel Eyes + $239.99

Xenon FXR-Retrofit with Adapters $250 (Perfect Replica of the Infiniti FX Projector which is known as the best of the best)

Retrofit Pre Installed + $50

F1Autohaus Projector Shrouds + $45

Clear Film Protection + 20

Bulbs Xenix + $35

Painting everthing Matte Black/shipping/misc parts ~ $75

= $1014US (not including Labor/install and custom works) :)

For the record, FXR are better than OEM. The cutoff is cleaner than OEM and with the inner xenon with a removed cutoff, it is sweet. My setup has custom work done to the inner projector as it is forward more and sits flush with the bowl. Much better than being sunken in.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0032/0682/products/F1_Autohaus_FX-R_Projectors_HID_cutoff_large.jpg