PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering

Neil4Speed
09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Usually I have participated in some sort of volunteering over the years, but havn’t done anything in the past year or so and am looking at doing something, but am lacking ideas. There are tones of positions on Volunteer Calgary, and I was actually thinking about doing Habitat for Humanity which has been doing work in the region for many years with the plus of being able to learn some skills while I am at it. Plus it would be cool to get together a few beyond members together on a weekend day to help build a house.

Just curious what kind of volunteering that other Beyonders do.

dirtsniffer
09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I was a big brother for a while in Calgary. Habitat for humanity would be pretty cool. i have a feeling the new guy would get stuck doing some crap though. I'm going to look into it for sure, was also thinking about doing meals on wheels.

spacerz
09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I've been volunteering with Big Brothers and Big Sisters for about 5 years now (in-school program).

bigbadboss101
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I looked at the volunteering calgary website and there are quite a few interesting opportunities.

http://www.volunteercalgary.ab.ca/public_volunteerentry.html

We have cook/served dinner at the Mustard Seeds. Also Food Bank either sorting food or putting food into hampers. Operation Christmas Child to pack shoe boxes.

At the Drop in Centre one can make sandwiches or serve dinner. The dinner period is pretty short so that wasn't much to it.

Those are the local stuff. I have been to Guatemala to be in a team to drill a water well. To Honduras to help build couple homes/shelters for families. To Encenada to build a home for a family, and to L'viv Ukraine to work with kids in a kids camp, delivery food hampers in the Capathian Mountain.

max_boost
09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
The gf and I plan to serve lunch at the drop in center. I figure that's something simple and easy I can do. Never really volunteered before so looking forward to it.

boarderfatty
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I volunteer with the SPCA, go and take dogs for walks it's a blast.

You get to have dog with no commitment. You can take it to an offleash park and pick up girls with it. Not only do women like guys with dogs, they love guys that volunteer with abandoned dogs.

sexualbanana
09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I volunteer as a basketball coach

TomcoPDR
09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The gf and I plan to serve lunch at the drop in center. I figure that's something simple and easy I can do. Never really volunteered before so looking forward to it.

Props. :thumbsup:

However, more mad props if you roll in with the Porsche parked out front. In fact if u do that, I'll put in 2 credit cards next time we CCR.

calgaryrally88
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Be prepared to be called every name in the book and asked why are you serving this shit again :rofl:

Graham_A_M
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
I volunteer with the SPCA, go and take dogs for walks it's a blast.

You get to have dog with no commitment. You can take it to an offleash park and pick up girls with it. Not only do women like guys with dogs, they love guys that volunteer with abandoned dogs.

hahaha. Thats clever. Sounds interesting, I may have to try that.

I used to Volunteer for Meals on Wheels as a delivery driver. Basically the people that use Meals on Wheels are disabled people or the elderly that cant really cook for themselves, or have other issues that prevent them from eating normally.

It was interesting, lots of good routes, and you can basically pick your route if you want one in a certain area, if there is one available.
Yeah you use your own car, go to the main depot right off 30th ave and Mac trail (there abouts, its the last building you see heading north bound on Mac trail, just before you reach the cemetery.) But yeah you have to be there at a specified time, pick up all the food (in coolers to keep it warm) then drive to a bunch of houses/apartments to drop off the food. then drop off the empty coolers back at the depot. You can do this certain times a week, or weekends only. Their fairly flexible.

I stopped doing it 6 years ago, because I was given the longest route in Calgary, which just so happened to be in Forrest Lawn and surrounding ghetto's.... yeah I dont have to explain any further to why that was the end of it. :nut:

Tearin
09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
My boyfriend and I volunteer with the Alberta Spay and Neuter Task Force. The group travels to First Nation communities and offers free spay and neuter surgeries to help control the pet population. It's an exhausting weekend but very rewarding.

bigbadboss101
09-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by calgaryrally88

Be prepared to be called every name in the book and asked why are you serving this shit again :rofl:

When we were there the people were rather thankful.
Couple of my friends work there.

xnvy
09-25-2012, 07:34 AM
I volunteer with the Distress Centre (http://www.distresscentre.com/). It's pretty good and the commitment isn't bad. 4 shifts a month for the Crisis line IIRC. However, if you speak english like Rob the Knob don't bother applying.
I also volunteer at the Rockyview and Foothills just doing basic work like moving boxes and such, I'll probably just volunteer at the South Calgary Health Centre when they open up some positions as it's a 10 minute walk.
I'd volunteer for Meals on Wheels but my cousin did several years ago and one of the people he delivered to attempted to strangle him so my family won't let me. :rolleyes:
You can also try out places such as the Mustard Seed, I occasionally go out with a group of friends and hand out food there.

almerick
09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Hey Neil, I'll text you sometime about volunteering. I am part of a club at the UofC which we go volunteering pretty often whenever someone needs help (Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse, Food Kitchen, Mustard Seed, Drop-In-Center, Globalfest etc.)

It'll be a great experience, I've done it quite a few times now and the people are pretty thankful for what you do for them. The drop in center was also the first place I ever learned about potato milk :nut:

bspot
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

They all clapped for us and said thanks on our way out?

dirtsniffer
09-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by bigbadboss101

When we were there the people were rather thankful.
Couple of my friends work there.

Originally posted by bspot

They all clapped for us and said thanks on our way out?

Feed the homeless, not the troll.

Oh he was banned, called it.

jwslam
09-25-2012, 03:48 PM
We can put together a few teams for Operation Xmas Child.
I like packing those xmas boxes.

http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/rss/operation-christmas-child/get-involved/operation-christmas-child-volunteer/

freshprince1
09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
My company got together and sponsored a day with Habitat for Humanity. We then spent a day on site helping with the build.

Perhaps we should put together a Beyond Habitat for Humanity project? Commit a certain number of bodies for a day and include a donation? Just a thought.

Graham_A_M
09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
^ Id be down for sure.

bigbadboss101
09-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I would be opened to shoe box packing and also Habitat. Christmas Child I think my friends are already signing us up but going more than once isn't a bad thing. LMK

xolemonteaox
11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Bump.

Anybody doing Operation Christmas Child? The 2012 National Collection Week is November 19-25.

Also, any Beyond Volunteering Projects on the way?

bigbadboss101
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
A few of us are putting together about 20 shoe boxes. We also signed up to go to the site and sort boxes early December. Lot of fun toys and clothing, stationery etc.

jwslam
01-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Perhaps we should put together a Beyond Habitat for Humanity project? Commit a certain number of bodies for a day and include a donation? Just a thought.
Random bump. Did this ever happen?