PDA

View Full Version : Horrible experience @ 7-11 gas station

PartyintheKorea
09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
it's saturday night and im at the 7-11 on 4 st NE filling up,
1. i insert my credit card and pull it out quickly like at most other pumps, but instead,
2. the pump tells me to leave the card inserted, but weirdly never tells me to enter a pin number.

as i am filling up,
3. the pump trigger doesn't 'pop', resulting in gas overflowing everywhere, so
4. i go into the store to ask if they have anything to clean it up with, and the clerk simply suggested paper towels, so that's what i used.

after adaquately soaking up the excess gas protuding out of my tank and on my car,
5. i leave, unknowingly leaving my card in the machine, possibly because im used to the pump actually telling me to retrieve my card.

i come back in an hour or so and retrieve my card from the same clerk for suggested the paper towels, and drive home to check my balance, only to find an extra $100 in my transactions list under 7-11 on top of the $37 i originally paid for my tank.

i've talked with a manager who is reviewing the tape, but how likely is it that i will be reimbursed the $100 of gas i didn't purchase?

GQBalla
09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Contact your CC provider instead

Euro_Trash
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by PartyintheKorea
it's saturday night

i insert

pull it out quickly

pump

i am filling up

doesn't 'pop'

overflowing everywhere

ask if they have anything to clean it up with, and the clerk simply suggested paper towels, so that's what i used.

soaking up the excess

i leave

possibly because im used to the pump

i come

in an hour or so

find an extra $100 in my transactions list

i've talked with a manager

guessboi
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
$100 is probably the pre-authorized amount for the transaction whenever you pay at the pump.

Weapon_R
Could it be a $100 preauth fee?

lilmira
:rofl:

[Yu]
09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
1. i insert my credit card and pull it out quickly like at most other pumps, but instead,
2. the pump tells me to leave the card inserted, but weirdly never tells me to enter a pin number.

as i am filling up,
4. i go into the store to ask if they have anything to clean it up with, and the clerk simply suggested paper towels, so that's what i used.

after adaquately soaking up the excess gas protuding out of my tank and on my car,
5. i leave, unknowingly leaving my card in the machine, possibly because im used to the pump actually telling me to retrieve my card.

i come back in an hour or so and retrieve my card from the same clerk for suggested the paper towels, and drive home to check my balance, only to find an extra $100 in my transactions list under 7-11 on top of the $37 i originally paid for my tank.

i've talked with a manager who is reviewing the tape, but how likely is it that i will be reimbursed the $100 of gas i didn't purchase?

I'm just asking, is that $100 a pre-authorization? I know sometimes on my credit card depending on gas station location, they ask for authorization. It shows a charge of $100 at first but the difference has always been credited back to my card a couple days later.

supe
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
OMG Euro, you are one hell of a comedian.

muse017
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
So you left your CC in the machine because it didn't remind you so.

JRSC00LUDE
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Time well spent, thank you. :rofl:

FraserB
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
The 7/11 cameras are shit by the way and are placed in useless spots that do absolutely nothing. It will probably show how long you were at the pump and you pulling away, most likely no plate numbers.

When you went back and got it, was it still in the pump or was it inside?

Neil4Speed
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Euro! :clap: hahah

Quiet10
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Euro has thankfully saved this thread for me. :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap:

7thgenvic
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
This thread was a waste of time till I read Euro's post! MONDAY WIN

Numi
09-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Hahahahaha euro just made my day. That was awesome.

G-ZUS
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
at the 7-11 on 4 st NE

ercchry
09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

i cant find a 7-11 on 4th... so i cant say what hood he was in... but 4th is on the correct side of deerfoot... not in the "NE" :nut:

bjstare
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
So OP forgot his card in a gas pump, then blames the pump for not telling him to get it? :rofl:

Mar
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Aren't you required to call Hazardous Materials when you have a big spill like that?

JRSC00LUDE
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Aren't you required to call Hazardous Materials when you have a big spill like that?

I'm willing to bet that the "gas overflowing everywhere" equated to less than half a litre....

BensonTT
09-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Who the fuk uses 7-11 gas?

btimbit
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
Who the fuk uses 7-11 gas?

The ones around here all have petro canada's

Lesson learned, don't leave your credit card behind. Dumbass.

syritis
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
any transaction not signed or approved by you is credit card fraud. contact your CC. hopefully you have your receipt to make things easier

speedog
09-24-2012, 06:18 PM

as i am filling up,

Couple of things here - there are 8.5"x11" yellow signs on each pump that state you need to leave your card in, guess you must have missed those. Second, how does gas protude and exactly what dos protude mean? Suspect you meant protrude but even then, I've never ever in my life seen gas protrude from something. As for the extra $100, you'll get it back - don't really see how that'll be an issue. If anything, stay in contact with the manager of that 7/11 until everything is cleared up and also make sure that that manager is aware of the problems you had with that pump (no auto-stop and not asking for a pin).

sabad66
09-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Probably 4th street nw beside the McDonalds. But yeah, I'd guess its a $100 pre auth. Just call your cc company and they will take care of it.

Oh yeah and :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ euro

frozenrice
09-24-2012, 06:34 PM
^^Maybe he meant Edmonton Trail and 16th Ave? That's in the NE.

Cos
09-24-2012, 06:36 PM

PartyintheKorea
09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
might as well make an FAQ:

yeah it's 4 St. NW, my bad.

I was at 7-11 because it was the first place I saw, not filling high octane anyways.

I guess I am a bit of a dumbass, forgetting about my card when I had to clean up the excess fuel. probably deserve some of the blame, just saying I've never been to a place that
a. needed me to leave my card in but not enter a pin number.
b. had a defective pump which doesn't stop automatically, resulting in my tank overflowing.
c. doesn't tell me to retrieve my card.
all in one package. well I know I'm not filling up at 7-11 ever again. lesson learned.

lol'd @ Euro_Trash's post.

at this point I'm hoping it is just a pre-authorization, although there are 2 entries on my credit card statement, one with $37 and another with $100 beside it.

FraserB
09-24-2012, 07:59 PM
7-Eleven doesn't have the little clips on the handles of the new pumps, AFAIK no one does so people don't just leave them and walk away. People use their gas caps to jam the handle in the on position and then bitch when it overflows.

Yes, the pumps are standardized chain wide. No, there are no franchises in Calgary that would be different. Yes, there are nice big yellow and pink signs right at eye level on the pumps.

ianmcc
09-24-2012, 08:05 PM
FYI all the Petro Can/7-Eleven (BTW that's how it is named-not 7-11) are converting to chip readers at the pump-just like the tills inside. They will hold your card and it sounds like the 4th St station has converted. And the $100 charge is from your CC, not Petro nor 7-Eleven. And like life nothing works 100% of the time. The auto shut off feature isn't fool proof-you do need to take some personal responsibility.

sabad66
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Ah ok, that makes perfect sense then. When you use a CC at the pump, it does a $100 pre-auth (some pumps let you pick the amount to pre-auth) to make sure you have enough money available. After that it will bill you the amount of your gas (which was $37). Eventually the $100 will go away.

Very surprised the manager didn't know this.

PartyintheKorea
09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
7-Eleven doesn't have the little clips on the handles of the new pumps, AFAIK no one does so people don't just leave them and walk away. People use their gas caps to jam the handle in the on position and then bitch when it overflows.

Yes, the pumps are standardized chain wide. No, there are no franchises in Calgary that would be different. Yes, there are nice big yellow and pink signs right at eye level on the pumps.

I'm aware of this and no I didn't use my gas cap to jam the handle, that's just asking for trouble.

PartyintheKorea
09-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
FYI all the Petro Can/7-Eleven (BTW that's how it is named-not 7-11) are converting to chip readers at the pump-just like the tills inside. They will hold your card and it sounds like the 4th St station has converted. And the $100 charge is from your CC, not Petro nor 7-Eleven. And like life nothing works 100% of the time. The auto shut off feature isn't fool proof-you do need to take some personal responsibility.

I rely on that feature so I can accurately record fuel economy. Had I known it was a faulty pump I wouldn't have filled up there, plain and simple.
I think we can both agree that it is in the gas station's best interest to make sure that people's tanks aren't allowed to just overflow and cause spills.

And if it was a chip reader, the pump should have asked for my pin number and confirmation, neither of which it did.

Resurrected RA
09-25-2012, 02:25 AM
I just read an article today that stated the average IQ of a Beyond.ca thread starter is 65, true story...:dunno:

SJW
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I'm willing to bet that the "gas overflowing everywhere" equated to less than half a litre....

I bet it looked like the zoolander gasoline fight.

ekguy
09-25-2012, 08:05 AM
thanks for making look like a retard to the people on my floor haha. That was effing awesome haha.

PartyintheKorea
09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Resurrected RA
I just read an article today that stated the average IQ of a Beyond.ca thread starter is 65, true story...:dunno:

I suppose you're the one bragging to a forum about how smart you are and how dumb everyone else is while I'm telling people about a gas station people should avoid at all costs. :dunno:

G-ZUS
09-25-2012, 11:55 AM

I suppose you're the one bragging to a forum about how smart you are and how dumb everyone else is while I'm telling people about a gas station people should avoid at all costs. :dunno:

I don't really see a reason to avoid this gas bar :dunno:

DEATH2000
09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

I don't really see a reason to avoid this gas bar :dunno: Other then because its in the NE?

speedog
09-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
Other then because its in the NE? So ya didn't really read everything in this thread, eh.