PDA

View Full Version : Truck making sound while turning slow?

Boosted131
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Was testing out this truck I am looking to buy, it had a trac-loc rear end or whatever. Like a limited slip kind of thing. When I turn very slow you can hear a little whirring sound or rubbing, is that common for this rear end? Or does it need fluid or what? It isn't very loud at all and when I make the wheel straight it goes away. Have to be turning fairly sharp to make the sound.

corsvette
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
What kind of truck? I know the trac loc/ locking diffs in Fords and GM's make some noise on sharp turns. Also, is this a 4x4 or all wheel drive?

GT.....O?
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Could be wheels rubbing on a fender? :dunno:

Boosted131
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
its a dakota 4.7L 2003. 4x4 with the option thats supposed to be like an auto locker.

The wheel isn't even close to rubbing they are just the stock 30.6 inch tires and the gap is big.

HO2S
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
The fluid doesn't have friction modifier in it, or the clutch packs are sitting on the bottom on the housing in pieces. Seeing is very normal for dodges to kill clutch packs, Im voting its broken.
About $2000 for a re-build.

Make sure the engine has been taken really good care of. 4.7's like to pop and it will write off the truck.

Boosted131
09-24-2012, 11:39 PM
It's not a loud noise at all very minor, and it does spin both tires so it's still working ? Not sure what you mean by it pops?

Rat Fink
09-25-2012, 07:26 AM

HO2S
09-25-2012, 07:27 AM
The lsd in this truck is really sissy and you shouldn't hear any noise when turning. The only way of telling is to take the diff cover off. Really its a hour of labor and and about $60 worth of fluid.
By pop, I meant blow up. If the engine hasn't been maintained it will develop a rod or main bearing knock. And they are pricey to replace.

Boosted131
09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Mechanic looked it over, it's low on fluid and needs the seal done (60 bucks) installed.

HO2S
09-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
If its anything like the Ford limited slip diffs, you might be able to replace the clutch packs individually. If there is no bearing or gearset noise and just clutch pack wear (and not complete carnage in there), I wouldn't worry about getting into a full rebuild. Just replace the clutch packs and refill with the correct gear lube and friction modifier.

For the fords, its a 2 hour job and pretty straight forward although there are some dealer specific tools for measuring the right shims, etc.
On dodge's the clutches and the steels break apart and the get chewed up on the ring/pinion and in the diff gears. It destorys everything. I had one were a piece of clutch broke off the abs sensor and the windings on the sensor got chewed up and turned the fluid into a coppery orange mess, it even pitted the axle bearings. it was awesome.

The dodges have threaded adjusters so all you need is a dial gauge and some gear marking paste.