PDA

View Full Version : car broke down in the USA

shutterbug_art8
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Anyone has their car broken down (Canadian registered) in the USA? How can I dispose of it? If I give it to someone, they need to import it (i am sure not worth their time).

Can I donate it some how?
Abandon it properly?

Graham_A_M
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
^ Most wreckers would take it, to my knowledge they dont need to bother with any importation clause, considering the car is to be used for parts at that point, or just crushed outright. With the cost of steel, its a pretty damn easy $200-300 or so.

shutterbug_art8
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Most wreckers would take it, to my knowledge they dont need to bother with any importation clause, considering the car is to be used for parts at that point, or just crushed outright. With the cost of steel, its a pretty damn easy $200-300 or so.

What about my Canadian title and registration?
Do I tell them I sold the car in the US? Also tell my insurance company the same thing?

Just dont want things to come back to me.

Kramerica
09-24-2012, 09:59 PM
All you should need to show them is something stating that you own the car (usually the registry) they'll keep the smaller portion and ask you to sign the previous owner thing on the back, although in the states they may just get you to fill out a bill of sale or something. As far as the insurance company needs to know, you are just cancelling it, registries don't need to be notified unless you plan on still using the plate, only way something would come back to you is if there was a reason for something to come back to you (such as it was stolen or used in a crime), most junk yards really don't care and buy anything. If you're feeling particularly concerned about it you can ask the buyer to put a for parts/scrap clause in.

spacerz
09-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Why don't you consult with border services?

shutterbug_art8
09-29-2012, 02:30 PM
decided to ship the car back. Any recommendations on shipping companies/contacts? Would prefer car to be shipped to Calgary, or maybe Montana border (probably a lot cheaper). Car is currently in California.

Please note that car is a native Canadian car, not a USA car.

Thanks.

ianmcc
09-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Gotta think it's cheaper to fix and drive it back unless you are in Canada and the car is still in the US.
It it catastrophically broken?