PDA

View Full Version : Review: Marlborough Ford - Sales Experience

spikerS
09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
*EDIT*
This review was initially a positive one, until recent events have proven otherwise. See the bottom of this post to see what has changed this from a positive review into a negative one, and the back to a mostly positive one.
*/edit*

I know, we all hate stealerships. I hate them, I have been screwed over by them, and I hate sleazy salesmen. Despite best efforts in the past, I have been screwed over more times than I would like to admit. Having said all that, the experience at Marlborough Ford made me do a complete 180.

I am sure most of you know of the thread Baygirl and I started, looking for ideas and advice on a new vehicle...
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/358862/oh-my-god-not-another-one-of-these-threads-/

We decided to check out a few options that Ford offered. There was no particular reason we chose Marlboroguh Ford over any of the other Ford Dealerships, other than it was a few blocks from my work.

We went on the lot, and a salesman named Bruce Palin greeted us. We explained we were looking for a new vehicle, but we were still undecided on what, and that we were not going to be purchasing that day, we only wanted to see what was an option, and if it was something we liked, discuss price. Bruce was totally awesome. A little older of a guy, but had a kick ass 'stache, and was just as happy talking about motorbikes as showing us different things. We told him what we were looking for, and he immediately asked us if we would consider a F-150. We had nothing against it, and so on we went.

Showed us a charcoal grey F-150 with the ecoboost and we liked it, as did our 2 girls. We decided to take it for a test drive, and Bruce even helped us load the car seats into it, tacked on a plate and sent us on our way. Told us to take it for as long as we wanted, and if we ran out of gas, call him, and he would come put more in.

We drove it for about 25 mins or so, and we really liked it. Got back, and Bruce was right there, helping unload the kids and car seats. Went and sat with him in the office, and he pulls out the offer sheets, gets us a better than employee price, throws in a few extras, shows us what the payments would be. Says "that should give you something to think about". Shakes my hand and says to give him a shout when we are ready.

That was August 31st.

In the mean time, we went and checked out the Nissan Titan, Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tundra and a few others. We took our time, compared options, prices, ride, fuel economy, looks, everything.

After everything, we always looked back at the Ford.

3 weeks later, I gave Bruce a call. He remembered us, and had the worksheet he worked out with us still. We made arrangements to come in, and since he had that Friday off, arranged for us to work with a friend of his. We did this all over text messaging by the way. He informed us that the original truck we looked at had been sold to the CPS as a Ghost vehicle, but he had 2 more trucks exactly like the one we looked at, just different colors. He made sure his co-worker knew exactly which trucks we were interested in, and when we arrived, the other salesman was eager to help. The other 2 trucks were exactly the same, same price, same discount. (We chose the red one). We decided to put an offer in, and get the financing app done that night.

We worked with Derrick and Patricia in the financing office, and both were awesome. When we got our approval back, the finance rate was higher at 7.9% than what was being advertised (4.99%). Baygirl and I discussed it, and decided to go ahead with the deal anyways, and gave the green light.

We make arrangements, and Bruce, being the awesome guy that he is, agreed to come in way earlier than his shift was to arrange delivery. We arrived, and Bruce recognized us and welcomed us right away. Our truck was outside all sparkly clean and fully gassed up. They switched up our plates and gave us a run down of the truck. Everything was perfect.

I then went into the finance office, and Derrick greeted us warmly again. When he saw the finance rate, he sighed and shook his head, and before we could say anything, he calls back Ford Credit, and demands they review our approval. He said something to the credit guys like that if we didn't get the 4.99% he thought we were going to walk. I started to speak up saying that it was fine, we needed the truck and the extra bit a month was not going to be that big of a deal. He grins and just holds his fingers over his lips, and continues talking to Ford Credit.

4 mins later, he had us the 4.99% on a shorter term, with smaller payments. :eek: Sorry, but to me, that is unheard of. They had a solid sale at the higher rate, but he still goes to bat for us to save us money.

We took delivery of the truck, and drove off the lot, happy and excited that we had our new truck, and the surprisingly awesome sales experience.

We love our new truck, we had a great sales experience, and surprised by the honesty and flexibility Marlborough Ford showed us.

Having said all of the above, I would highly recommend Marlborough Ford to anyone thinking of buying a Ford product, and specifically, working with Bruce Palin. You won't regret it.

*Disclaimer* I am in no way affiliated with Marlborough Ford, nor am I getting any kind of referral bonus or kickback from this. This review thread is purely the opinion of mine and Baygirl's based on the experience we had in purchasing our new F-150.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20120922_181830_zps17d90483.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20120922_181807_zps4f94c9df.jpg

*New Updates*

When I purchased this truck, I told Bruce repeatedly that I would be using this truck to be towing an RV. In fact, we had a discussion in great length about camping. I specifically asked for a towing package installed on the truck because there was not one on the truck initially. This was written into the contract, and when I took delivery, I was also given a purchase order to take the truck to a hitch shop to have the towing package to be installed. The shop only installed a trailer hitch.

I never noticed anything amiss or missing until I started to make preparations for the upcoming RV season. Low and behold, only the stock 4 pin trailer wiring was there, no trailer brake, no oil or tranny cooler, and no 7 pin wiring. The above constitutes a towing package, even by the Ford website.

I called Bruce and the dealership, who initially told me that it was just an oversight, and that they would correct it. 3 days later, I get a call from the hitch shop, and not Bruce or Ford, who told me that the hitch was all they charged me for, and that if I wanted more, I was on my own.

I have now had everything installed, but it was done on my dime when it should have been installed by Marlborough Ford at their expense.

Just goes to further enforce the idea that these guys really are STEALerships.

*EDIT 2*
ok, well, i guess this goes back to being a mostly positive experience.

Just got back from Marlborough Ford and Darren, and I got a cheque for $150 some bucks, which almost brings me back to even for my costs to get this installed, close enough. Darren also went and inspected the wiring, and made sure it was done right.

apparently they sent over the PO to have it all done, but the hitch shop only charged for the hitch. So somewhere between the two, communications broke down, and resulted in this mess. However, good on Darren for picking up the ball and making things right again.

At the end of the day, I am glad that I am made whole (mostly) again, but I am really ticked that this happened in the first place, and that I got the run around. It definitely felt like they had completed the sale, got the cash, and then washed their hands of me. It took Darren Jacula getting wind of this to put this back on the right track.

TomcoPDR
09-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Good to hear not all things in NE is bad.

Show us the soccer mom pic.

jdmXSI
09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Congrats! Stories like this make me think there are good people still out there!

spikerS
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Fine!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/000000001.jpg

Graham_A_M
09-26-2012, 12:41 AM
^Lol

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Good to hear not all things in NE is bad.

Word... but 1 good thing out of 100 bad things as a ratio is just a meager start.

Then again if his 'stache was as epic as you say, that makes up for everything else

spikerS
09-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^Lol

Word... but 1 good thing out of 100 bad things as a ratio is just a meager start.

Then again if his 'stache was as epic as you say, that makes up for everything else

I thought it was rockin.

https://pictures.dealer.com/m/marlboroughfordtc/1118/c4264b9e40463872011e7cc66670ce7e.jpg

TomcoPDR
09-26-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't know man, Lanny's just next door

relyt92
09-26-2012, 07:24 PM
I got my first car used from Marlborough Ford and dealt with a guy named Derek. If it's the same one you dealt with I've gotta agree and said it was quite a pleasant experience dealing with him. Congrats on the new truck.

Rat Fink
09-27-2012, 07:29 AM

KRyn
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on the new purchase!

Originally posted by Rat Fink
Nice score. IMO, Ford makes the nicest trucks out of the domestics these days by a longshot

In terms of smaller trucks for sure! The eco-boost is an awesome platform!

Cos
09-27-2012, 03:17 PM

redline
09-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I have been looking at F150s and the Ford dealerships I have are full of slimy sales people... Might have to check this place out.

Thanks for the review.

spikerS
01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
updated this with some new information.

Squishy
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM

ercchry
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
Buy your trucks from Woodridge and take them there for service. :)

did one of the two... but i prefer following my mechanic from dealer to dealer, but the damn guy is broken for at least another two months! hopefully i dont need anything between now and then

corsvette
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
They should have just got you into another truck factory equipped with trailer tow from the start. It would cost HUGE$$ to put all the nessasary oil coolers etc in after the fact. They probaby thought "trailer tow package" was just a hitch. My goodness, with a twin turbo V6 in a truck I'd want all the oil coolers/bigger rad and whatever else the factory trailer package involves before I'd even hook up to a tent trailer. Better check what its rated to tow w/o the factory tow package....just to protect the warranty at the least.

spikerS
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
^^Oh yeah, I made sure. The supercrew 4x4 with the worst setup for towing is 8300lbs, and that is the number I am using, but I suspect it might be a bit higher.

ExtraSlow
01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
If you know your axle ratio and wheelbase, you can get the exact number from the Ford Fleet website. https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/2012_default.asp
For 4x4 Supercrew with Ecoboost it ranges from 8,000 to 11,200 lbs. That's on Page 18 of the PDF in the link I posted above.

spikerS
01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
^^yeah, I was wrong, it is 8200 according to ford with the worst setup. I am pretty sure my axle is 3.3 geared.

btimbit
01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow, that's a tad ridiculous. What was Ford's explanation to this?

spikerS
01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Wow, that's a tad ridiculous. What was Ford's explanation to this?

According to the hitch shop, Bruce and Ford are saying they only charged me for the hitch, and if I want more, I am on my own, even though the work sheet specifically states tow package.

dj_rice
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't know what transpired at this Ford dealer but I work in Parts at a Nissan dealer. When the sales department throw in tow packages for cars at Nissan, its always in our case, either the Trailer Hitch + 7 Pin Wiring and install only.

We've never had to install at oil coolers for cars before. And never thrown in any brake controller. Those are always extra costs the customer pays. Hell, even the drawbar and hitch ball mount are extra's that the customer pays as Sales never wants to comp those.

So if you have yours in writing, I hope you follow through till you get it.

spikerS
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I don't know what transpired at this Ford dealer but I work in Parts at a Nissan dealer. When the sales department throw in tow packages for cars at Nissan, its always in our case, either the Trailer Hitch + 7 Pin Wiring and install only.

We've never had to install at oil coolers for cars before. And never thrown in any brake controller. Those are always extra costs the customer pays. Hell, even the drawbar and hitch ball mount are extra's that the customer pays as Sales never wants to comp those.

honestly, I dont even want the oil and tranny cooler or the brake controller.

I have a Prodigy S3 brake controller and wanted it installed and the 7 pin wiring installed, and I would have left it at that.

But when I told them I wanted to tow package installed, I wanted the smaller package as shown on the ford website.

I will give thumbs up to the hitch shop though. I gave them all the parts they needed, (brake controller, Relay, fuse, 7 pin receptacle and mount), they did the labour and provided a pigtail for the brake controller. Cost me $102.50 out the door + $56 for the fuse and relay, $46 for the 7 pin receptacle, and a steal of $60 for the brake controller.

I can say that Baygirl and I were interested in possibly picking up the new Fusion later this year, but from this treatment, we will be going elsewhere.

Rat Fink
01-23-2013, 11:06 PM

spikerS
01-23-2013, 11:09 PM
yeah, no aux cooler at all, but have not actually checked by the oil filter for an oil cooler.

regardless, the trailer I am pulling is going to be under 6000lbs wet so i should not have any issues with heat.

kvg
01-23-2013, 11:28 PM
The guy who has the final say on the new car floor is Darren Jacula call him and see if he wants to make things right. That dealer ship isn't a high volume dealer and probably would like to avoid bad word of mouth, especially on the internet as it spreads even faster.

dj_rice
01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Call Lea Doherty. Explain your situation. She might get you results.

spikerS
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by kvg
The guy who has the final say on the new car floor is Darren Jacula call him and see if he wants to make things right. That dealer ship isn't a high volume dealer and probably would like to avoid bad word of mouth, especially on the internet as it spreads even faster.

I called Bruce and left him a VM about it, then spoke to derrik or darren in the finance office about it, said he would talk to Bruce. Bruce calls me saying it was an oversight, and he would get to the bottom of it. Next phone call I got was from the Hitch Shop saying Ford called them, telling me to pound sand.

Call Lea Doherty. Explain your situation. She might get you results.

Pfft, yeah, somehow I doubt that CTV is going to come White Knighting for me over something that would take less than $500 to make go away.

Nufy
01-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I would go back to fuck with them over the fusion...

Paperwork ready to sign....sorry changed my mind...unless...

And proceed to request everything sbort of a meeting with fhe queen, the governer general and Mr harper himself.

Then walk out laughing maniacally...

btimbit
01-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by spikers

I called Bruce and left him a VM about it, then spoke to derrik or darren in the finance office about it, said he would talk to Bruce. Bruce calls me saying it was an oversight, and he would get to the bottom of it. Next phone call I got was from the Hitch Shop saying Ford called them, telling me to pound sand.

Still worth another call to the dealership I'd say, explain that the hitch shop isn't willing to do anything and stress how unimpressed you are, At the least you'll get an apology (for the fuck all that's worth) but maybe they'll actually do something for you

Originally posted by Nufy
I would go back to fuck with them over the fusion...

Paperwork ready to sign....sorry changed my mind...unless...

And proceed to request everything sbort of a meeting with fhe queen, the governer general and Mr harper himself.

Then walk out laughing maniacally...

Ah, would be funny but probably not worth spikers' time either

403Gemini
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM

If Spikers did state specifically what he was going to be towing and what he needed the towing package for, the salesman should have caught that and realized that a standard hitch won't do. This way, it would have been caught early, and if they did have to charge spikers, they could have added it onto the financing to the vehicle, so a few extra bucks a month (which spikers ended up saving with the finance manager) would be much more feasible than forking out the cash up front to do it.

spikerS
01-24-2013, 10:22 AM
oh yeah, they knew right from the start as one of my requirements when I listed things off was being able to tow more than 5000lbs.

No, Marlborough Ford dropped the ball on this one, and have now ticked me off. They HAD a client that was singing their praises, and instead of alienated us, and as such have lost repeat business, and I have instead started bringing the truck to Northstar Ford in Crowfoot. Just did my second service interval there, and I made sure to tell them WHY I was there, and not at Marlborough Ford.

Even spoke to a salesman there about what they would include in a tow package, and guess what, it included everything I wanted. Also started talking to them about the Fusion. They seem pretty nice there too.

Also to note, the relay and fuse I bought to install the 7 pin? Yeah, apparently, those should have been included when I purchased the truck, tow package or not, and guess what? They were not in my truck when I purchased it, I had to buy them over again. So, now I am wondering what they did with my $50 in parts that should have been included with my truck...

No, they missed out on a huge opportunity to keep a client happy, and decided instead to screw us over.

Not happy at all.

spikerS
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
well, apparently dropping a link on their facebook page linking back to this thread caught their attention.

Darren called me this morning and left me a VM, mentioning the FB post. He also admitted that on the offer to purchase worksheet, it does state hitch and WIRING, and to him that meant 7 pin.

SOOOooo...

Apparently he wants all invoices I have paid, so that they can reimburse me, and when I described what had been done to the truck, he says that it is wrong, and that it will have to be redone.

He also stated that they paid the hitch shop for the hitch and wiring, and is not sure why we only had the hitch, and that it was stupid that the truck I purchased only had 4 pin wiring and called it useless.

we shall see what transpires from here. If things work out like Darren has described, then this goes to being a mostly positive experience.

I will give Darren credit though. He seemed really annoyed that the hitch shop called me back to explain that Ford wasn't going to do any more, and that Derrick or Bruce from Ford didn't call me back directly.

msommers
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Hope they're able to make things right for you. I'm always willing to give the same company another go if they're willing to admit fault and correct accordingly - everyone makes mistakes. Good idea on the posting the link

spikerS
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
ok, well, i guess this goes back to being a mostly positive experience.

Just got back from Marlborough Ford and Darren, and I got a cheque for $150 some bucks, which almost brings me back to even for my costs to get this installed, close enough. Darren also went and inspected the wiring, and made sure it was done right.

apparently they sent over the PO to have it all done, but the hitch shop only charged for the hitch. So somewhere between the two, communications broke down, and resulted in this mess. However, good on Darren for picking up the ball and making things right again.

At the end of the day, I am glad that I am made whole (mostly) again, but I am really ticked that this happened in the first place, and that I got the run around. It definitely felt like they had completed the sale, got the cash, and then washed their hands of me. It took Darren Jacula getting wind of this to put this back on the right track.

403Gemini
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Glad it's getting resolved, but yeah sucks you basically had to fight for it when it was implied

TomcoPDR
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Would this be enough to encourage you to move to the NE??

btimbit
01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Well, glad that it got somewhat sorted out at least. Still don't think I'll be going there any time soon based on this though